Sign in to follow this  
sparks and wife

SAILING CANCELLATIONS: 2015 Latest updates

It seems that the infamous equinoctal storms are striking again. I have just been informed that the Ply-Ros departure on Thursday will be delayed to 23h59 following a late departure from Santander due to adverse weather conditions. As a result, Arm will leave Roscoff earlier to leave the berth available for PA later.

So no diner in La Flora on Thursday eve...

I thought they might have swapped ships, let Arm do the overnight and PA do the morning sailing, I know no restaurant for early boarding but there will be no early boarding now.

I thought they might have swapped ships, let Arm do the overnight and PA do the morning sailing, I know no restaurant for early boarding but there will be no early boarding now.

I thought about the swap but I guess PA's sailing is pretty busy and Arm might not be able to absorb all the passengers.

You could be right, being Easter weekend it could be very busy. I wonder how passengers would vote if they had a choice, board early on the Arm, wait for the PA in the morning or sail with PA on a very late sailing.

Normandie Express' sailings were also cancelled yesterday due to poor weather conditions.

It was noteworthy that the Condor Liberation sailings were not cancelled due the weather - but were subsequently cancelled due to technical problems.

We are currently experiencing issues with Condor Liberation’s engine starting system and engineers have worked hard to rectify this. Unfortunately we have now run against the legal limitations of crew hours and I regret that this means that we have to cancel today’s 8th July rescheduled service. All Passengers affected by this will be assisted by Port and Res teams with re booking on to alternative services. For any EU compensation claims please see our FAQs section. In order to ensure all passengers are accommodated, an additional service will be operated from Poole tomorrow night.

Had to take my wife to Ouistreham for the 1400 Mont St Michel sailing instead of to Cherbourg for the Nex at 1700. She says it was pretty lively after Barfleur. Friends taking yachts up for the Cowes - Dinard race say the sea state was the killer, rather than wind speed.

Looking outside you'd thing we were in the depths of winter today! More summer storms, and sadly another cancellation for the Normandie Express.

Condor have cancelled the Liberation as well, wait for the howls of protest that she is not up to the job - as seems to be the norm when she is taken off....

Notice that the Bretagne has taken more of the coast off the Isle of Wight before heading towards France, guess this is due to the sea state

Oh dear. Friends already fed up with BF due to Etretat sailing cancelled the other week, so they were moved to a sailing to Caen with no cabin and a long drive the next day. They ae due back this week so if caught again, flying will be the future,

It's prudent to point out that this is strike by the Port Authority workers and not Brittany Ferries.

Absolutely. Sorry if I made it unclear.

It's prudent to point out that this is strike by the Port Authority workers and not Brittany Ferries.

Why does she not sail to another port instead of her sailings being cancelled then?

A bit like when Armorique had a couple of crew not happy with plugging in refrigerated freight, why did they cancel 4 sailings rather than just not take the refrigerated freight? I guess part of the French psyche when it comes to industrial action is that it must be allowed to cause the intended disruption and that taking such logical steps to mitigate that disruption would undermine the cause of a comrade? I don't know, I don't understand the French mentality when it comes to this issue (partly because it contrasts so markedly with everything else I associate with the French that is wonderful).

Related to this issue I've got a story to tell that I'll pen to the forum later this evening when I've finished my dinner and can get to the iPad!

(Another answer to your question Neil is which port? Both Etretat and BDS are too long for Ouistreham, and in any case Ouistreham will already be occupied at the time of those berthing slots. Which leaves Cherbourg, but as Ouistreham is much closer and there is going to be plenty of spare capacity on the Ouistreham ships at this time of year, why bother? Ouistreham is far less far to drive than Cherbourg so very little point sending Etretat there. My guess is if we were in peak season they probably would do that).

A bit like when Armorique had a couple of crew not happy with plugging in refrigerated freight, why did they cancel 4 sailings rather than just not take the refrigerated freight? I guess part of the French psyche when it comes to industrial action is that it must be allowed to cause the intended disruption and that taking such logical steps to mitigate that disruption would undermine the cause of a comrade? I don't know, I don't understand the French mentality when it comes to this issue (partly because it contrasts so markedly with everything else I associate with the French that is wonderful).

Related to this issue I've got a story to tell that I'll pen to the forum later this evening when I've finished my dinner and can get to the iPad!

At least they don't tear the jackets and shirts off the executives as the Air France strikers did today!!!

Wouldn't like to sail in that. I read about one of the Highlands and Islands school ferries recently a 20 min journey turned into over 3 hours of waiting with in sight of the dock for those poor school kids, better safe than sorry I would think.