eagleeye

Wightlink port redevelopment & new G class

Wight links Planning application is in for the new double deck loading ramps .the new ship is referred to as a g class .looks like the St Cecilia is the redundant one .double deck car park for gunwharf so hopefully stop those queue s on the roads .

Edited by eagleeye

I think even the one saint they keep won't last long. They clearly want to move to a RF-style with two/three bigger and less frequent ships. I think this probably does make sense for the route in today's climate especially with a move up to PIP in the long-term pipeline (it's got to happen sooner or later). At least the double deck system should speed up loading. It's sometimes excellent but usually appallingly slow and inefficient, no wonder they run late half the time.

There is a proposed 12% reduction in crossing frequency in the document I read .that equates to 3 return crossing s a day .the new ship will hold 178 cars the Clare 171 cars

Well Clare started life with a 180 capacity so still will be lower. As we have mentioned before it is a risk going fewer and bigger as a failure results in a bigger impact and Clare ain't your most reliable.

I get the impression that the fishbourne terminal won't go through quite as happily as the Portsmouth one did! It would be good if it could be built at the Ferguson yard but unlikely I expect.

EDIT: Looking through the investing for the future FAQ, includes this, suggesting construction is underway! "The ship design will minimise noise polution and we have asked the shipyard which is building the new ship to look at ways of directing the sound into the ship (and away from the coast) as much as possible."

Edited by LordDevereux

Hmm, reading through it seems like the order for the new ship should already be in with keel laid by now.....question is where?!

..... As I asked back in November! Someone somewhere must know......

I get the impression that the fishbourne terminal won't go through quite as happily as the Portsmouth one did! It would be good if it could be built at the Ferguson yard but unlikely I expect.

EDIT: Looking through the investing for the future FAQ, includes this, suggesting construction is underway! "The ship design will minimise noise polution and we have asked the shipyard which is building the new ship to look at ways of directing the sound into the ship (and away from the coast) as much as possible."

They have conditional approval. Very minor conditions related to lighting and ferry speed to minimise wash.

Wightlink quote in the attached article states G-class won't appear until 2018, so although presumably largely designed, perhaps construction has not yet commenced.

Gurnard, Godshill, Gatcombe? Sadly the brand marketing types will probably want the word Wight in them. Even worse they could have a public competition and end up with terrible names like all that come after St Clare.