eagleeye

Wightlink port redevelopment & new G class

Must be paying more cash to keep tug on. That's why day trips are so expensive now. They would have been better getting her in today and paying less fees.

11 minutes ago, adicat said:

Must be paying more cash to keep tug on. That's why day trips are so expensive now. They would have been better getting her in today and paying less fees.

Maybe the brass band had been booked for Friday😂😂

• Like 1

Facebook public group Poole Port and Harbour History has some great photos up.  Someone might be able to provide a working link as am having problems getting it to paste.

Out of interest, does anyone know why she's been towed all the way here? I don't think this has happened before, the Wight Riders didn't make it under their own steam (and nor did Patricia, although Pamela did...), but as far as I'm aware every one of the car ferries has been sailed under power for their delivery voyages.

I hope this isn't an indictment of her performance in rough weather, I'm sure it isn't, although I am curious as to what the reasoning is...

• Like 1

I thought this question had already been answered. It is cheaper to tow the vessel than to crew her from Turkey and incur the expense of providing livaboard facilities and stores for the duration of the trip. Probably previous experience suggested this would be the better option. No doubt it was all costed beforehand.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, adicat said:

It’ll be a price for the tow not for the time, delays, weather, waiting around the island will of all been built into the price, Wightlink would of told the towing company when they want the boat there.

I feel we have been betrayed as people in Dorset are getting photos and us here at her home port are getting no pictures at all

You will get all the photos you want soon enough!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, captjack said:

It’ll be a price for the tow not for the time, delays, weather, waiting around the island will of all been built into the price, Wightlink would of told the towing company when they want the boat there.

Maybe they are planning to tow the old Cowes chain ferry back for scrap. Plus the old berth 4 from PIP and any other junk they can find lying around. Ed

• Haha 1

But nothing will happen for a while. She will need to get powered up with all systems tested after the tow and any problems sorted. I imagine that there will then need to be some crew  familiarisation exercises including getting to know how she handles before practical berthng trials at Portsmouth and Fishbourne. Only then will she be ready to enter service.

Some good pictures of the Victoria and tugs fussing round her, on a blustery morning, all on the Isle of Wight webcams..The Appley beach one is specifically focus in on her and the tow

Ironically she had caused 30 minute delays to the service and she is not even working on it yet 🤣. Poor tugs struggled to get her onto hill thus 1100 sailing delayed and has had knock on. 

I was down in Gunwharf earlier. VoW was out and about doing various trials including berthing on both sides. St Clare had to wait a while at 3pm in Gunwharf.

Stunning looking vessel although already some scrapes on the bow, presumably from the tow.

They cancelled Sunday's 4th vessel. One of todays vessels had a sulk as mechanical problems led to hour delay. They have had a weekend of delays by the looks of things. Wight Sun the usual culprit nowadays as she tales 30 minutes to berth (slight exaggeration). They have already got the name of no2 Hybrid secretly locked away.

8 minutes ago, adicat said:

They cancelled Sunday's 4th vessel. One of todays vessels had a sulk as mechanical problems led to hour delay. They have had a weekend of delays by the looks of things. Wight Sun the usual culprit nowadays as she tales 30 minutes to berth (slight exaggeration). They have already got the name of no2 Hybrid secretly locked away.

You really don't like WL do you? Why exaggerate delays? And do you have any evidence for your statement regarding a 2nd hybrid ship or is this just supposition?