Sign in to follow this  
rogerpatenall

BARFLEUR: 'Clandestins' spotted onboard

Appallingly written story that ignores the real point which is of course, as Neil point out, that they must have been able to simply walk on board... But to be fair It's always struck me that the huge windblown docks area there must be a nightmare to police.

The bit where the migrants were found, I presume, is the bit of the bow just beneath the bridge, and it is sealed off to everything else once the doors are closed. Their bad luck as they would have easily been spotted from the bridge. This is the only part of the ship I think they could have been in, as in Cherbourg she berths bow first and in Poole stern first. They would have had to get there before the doors are shut, and this is th only place that is sealed off to my knowledge. They would have been easily spotted from the bridge or restaurant if they'd have moved into view?

See the comments section is being dominated by Lefty Baysider - he turns everything into a squabble, idiot, think he has several IDs, not certain....

Edited by Khaines

Appallingly written story that ignores the real point which is of course, as Neil point out, that they must have been able to simply walk on board...

I think it more likely that they stowed away on a freight vehicle and made their way on to the focsle once the ship had departed.

I think it more likely that they stowed away on a freight vehicle and made their way on to the focsle once the ship had departed.

You're may be right, but that poses as many questions as it answers I think.

They would have been stuffed anyway, even if they had not been noticed there. Barf discharges via the stern at Poole, so as far as I know, that bow door does not open on arrival at Poole, so they would be stuck out there. Unless it is opened for ventilation which they do in Cherbourg while she is waiting, the next time it is opened will be when she gets back there next day And she turns round in Poole, to dock stern in so be quite difficult to jump off, unless they intended to jump off at some point earlier and swim. Pic taken from the Liberation - shows the area concerned, how easy would it be to hide there?

Edited by Khaines

They would have been stuffed anyway, even if they had not been noticed there. Barf discharges via the stern at Poole, so as far as I know, that bow door does not open on arrival at Poole, so they would be stuck out there. Unless it is opened for ventilation which they do in Cherbourg while she is waiting, the next time it is opened will be when she gets back there next day And she turns round in Poole, to dock stern in so be quite difficult to jump off, unless they intended to jump off at some point earlier and swim. Pic taken from the Liberation - shows the area concerned, how easy would it be to hide there?

Without going into the specifics on a public forum it is possible to access the focsle without the loading door being opened.

I don't think we need to worry too much about Barfleur, the immigrants have other options.

I read in another forum that 13 Breton fishermen are currently on trial accused of ferrying 200 migrants across the Channel, at £700 a head, and landing them at night on South Coast of England beaches.

I don't think I'd like to spend a night crossing sitting out there - but then when you see migrants stowing away in plane landing gear, guess Barf's bow s pure luxury!!

Talking of which - although more waterjets rather than props http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2339146/Desperate-Algerian-illegal-immigrant-tries-enter-Spain-clinging-ferry-just-INCHES-deadly-propellers.html

Edited by Khaines

I was speaking today to a French waittress who works in a cafe I regularly use in town and she was saying she and her husband now use the Tunnel because of the queues at Cherbourg while they are doing passports. I cannot understand why they need to check foot passengers twice, we go through customs in the terminal and have everything checked and then the bus is boarded in the queue, we have to hand our passports over and they are taken to a kiosk to be checked again. Why is this, it is time consuming.