BRETAGNE: Refit 2016

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Bretagne now off-service for 8 days, with Pont Aven covering Portsmouth-St Malo full time until heading off for scrubbers when she gets into St Malo from Plymouth tomorrow morning. (Well, full time apart from the few days over Christmas and New Year when she is parked up not going to Antwerp and Rouen!). Armorique back on Roscoff tomorrow for a week when MSM returns to service, and then Bretagne covering for her for a week between Christmas and New Year.

So....Bretagne off service now for a week or so....and heading somewhere, presumably for a quick drydocking like Normandie is going to have after Christmas. Wonder where she is going....can't be far away so I'd imagine either Dunkerque or Brest.

Sounds like she going for a bit of a refit ? Suppose she will be having cleaning and painting done as usual. Plus some Maintenance too i suppose.

one thing that would be nice for her to have is some new carpet in the Gwen Ha Du show lounge its starting to look a little tied in places especially around the bar area I'm sure that's due to people spilling there drinks after one too many !! The bar carpet on Pont Aven would look lovely in her show lounge.

I'm sure Cherbourg will do a lovely job as they are a good dry dock. Hate it when they go to Poland to Gdansk !! Paint jobs never seem to last as I think its just too cold to apply the paint around this time of year over there with all the snow !!!

Anyway looking forward to hearing what work is going to be done on the mighty Bretagne.

who ever knows, please keep us informed.

many thanks.

Sounds like she going for a bit of a refit ? Suppose she will be having cleaning and painting done as usual. Plus some Maintenance too i suppose.

one thing that would be nice for her to have is some new carpet in the Gwen Ha Du show lounge its starting to look a little tied in places especially around the bar area I'm sure that's due to people spilling there drinks after one too many !! The bar carpet on Pont Aven would look lovely in her show lounge.

I'm sure Cherbourg will do a lovely job as they are a good dry dock. Hate it when they go to Poland to Gdansk !! Paint jobs never seem to last as I think its just too cold to apply the paint around this time of year over there with all the snow !!!

Anyway looking forward to hearing what work is going to be done on the mighty Bretagne.

who ever knows, please keep us informed.

many thanks.

I didn't think there was a such dry docking facility in Cherbourg for civil applications.

Maybe she is not being drydocked. (Not much time for that in any case). Maybe she is just having a bit of an internal spruce-up whilst off-service afloat for a week in Cherbourg? Maybe same for Normandie after Christmas?

There's an interesting tweet on the homepage at the moment concerning the BF ships that Cherbourg will be playing host to over the festive season. In that tweet is an interesting little snippet about BDS, who is going to making three calls at Cherbourg over the next month. Each call is for an hour, and is whilst on regular passage to or from Spain. Looking at the Le Havre schedules, it seems that BDS' Le Havre calls will cease after today until some time in January, so the Cherbourg calls are clearly to enable the crew changes that normally would have taken place in Le Havre. They are on 22 Dec, 28 Dec and 3 Jan.

Edit: Interesting choice of Cherbourg for BDS crew changes rather than Roscoff. Can we infer from that that BDS cannot berth at Roscoff?

Edited by Gareth

Recently (7th) noticed that a few of Bretagne's cabins had notices on the doors inferring that they were out of order. I know 8117 had flush & loose shower issues, when they moved us a notice was applied too.

A good a time as any to make good a few faults. She was brought back into service early due to the issues with the 'Tat.

Good to hear Bretagne is having some Tlc as last time Yes I forgot she was rushed into service early this year due to Etretat issues.

well hopefully they can get most of the little jobs done inside. Hopefully they can get the time to polish her Bow bell and Bridge bell !! Not going to hold my breath on that one !!

I'm sure they will do a good job in what time they have.

Any update on Bretagne in Cherbourg ? Any pictures of her there ?

did she actually go into dry dock ?

Saw her moored along side the cruise terminal on Saturday. No dry docking for her. As I indicated in a previous post, there isn't a large dry dock in Cherbourg.

Any update on Bretagne in Cherbourg ? Any pictures of her there ?

did she actually go into dry dock ?

Couple of photos of her in Cherbourg last Friday, having her liferafts removed for annual service.
How much longer will the Bretagne remain in service for Brittany Ferries, is there a cut off point where she will have to go?

hopefully for ever ! Cant see the Princess of Bf fleet go Bf will never be the same without her !!

she has many decades at least left in her. She was built to such a high premium she will last for many years yet to come. She just needs scrubbers fitted and it is possible just depends on how much they want to spend on her !! We have fitted many scrubbers on all types of vessels but it all comes down to cost I'm afraid which is such a shame bf wont invest them on her !! She is such a beautiful classy vessel and she will live on in bf for many years yet to come.

Interesting choice of Cherbourg for BDS crew changes rather than Roscoff. Can we infer from that that BDS cannot berth at Roscoff?

I doubt it as BDS is the second longest in the fleet, and Cap is the longest. Cap can dock in Roscoff so BDS should do. I suppose it may be travel for the crew from Le Harve to Roscoff. Cherbourg is a good half way house.

• Like 1
Glad to hear that, sailed on her regularly since 1990 and enjoyed every trip. Would be sorry to see her go elsewhere, wish someone would give her bell a polish though, can't believe they leave it like that.

least I'm not the only one who gets upset about Bretagne's bells not being polished on the bow and behind the bridge !! Its I terrible I agree it shows a lack of pride for certain !! Its not much but for people to see it like that it gets them thinking !!! The bells only needs polishing once a day by the deck crew or by the cadet. One day I am going to go out there at night and get them all polished up it will dazzle them from the bridge !! What is that shiny thing ? Never seen that before !!!!

yes Bretagne is such a beautiful ship I really hope we have many more years of her in the bf fleet. She is what makes Bf and its how Bf used to be in the best times unlike now !!! Say no more on that one !!!

keep sailing the waves Bretagne as the princess of the Bf fleet and the true flagship.