Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

BRETAGNE: Refit 2016

Not quite sure what this is about now! I have travelled on both Bretagne and Val de Loire and they were both excellent ships to sail on with their own distinctive characters. I would rate either of them over Pont Aven although she is by no means a bad ship at all in herself. However a lot is certainly down to personal preference. I think the older ships have a certain 'depth and richness' which the modern vessels lack despite having better facilities in many ways.

• Like 3

I see Bretagne is taking one of the east-of-Jersey routes on her overnight north-bound sailing tonight. Never seen this before (the east-about route being used overnight).

I see Bretagne is taking one of the east-of-Jersey routes on her overnight north-bound sailing tonight. Never seen this before (the east-about route being used overnight).

Yeah Gareth, I noticed that and the track both the Cap' & BDS took too... Normandie was also moving around Ouistreham somewhat?

Any update on Bretagne in Cherbourg ? Any pictures of her there ?

did she actually go into dry dock ?

No Ross & Gareth, 'Bretagne' was never going to drydock or having any refit, big or small. Bretagne only spent time in Cherbourg for required annual maintenance.

Yes, it was August 1989. Earl Granville nearly sank after holing herself on the reefs at Cherbourg's Eastern entrance. You can get the report into that incident from the MAIB website - one of the first such reports they published after being founded in the wake of Zeebrugge 1987.

Edit: Just been re-reading my copy of the report. There was a cross-tide of 8 knots across the entrance at the time of Earl Granville's approach. I know there is often a strong cross-tide across the entrances to Cherbourg, but normally it is around 4 knots, 5 at springs. So this one was unusually strong - and also went along with an unusually low low water, which of course coincided with Earl Granville's arrival.

Edited by Gareth