Sign in to follow this  
Banditman

NOVA CRUISES: Nova Star

I have said many times on this forum that she would suit BF very well, she is a very beautiful ship, I personally think she has a BF look about her. It is just such a shame it is unlikely to happen due to the issues she has with her freight units allowed. Lovely vessel, my idea was that if she WAS to serve BF, as a cruiseferry she could be more cruise than ferry and maybe provide a kind of BF cruise where she could call at several French ports in one sailing amd take mainly passengers as opposed to freight. I know this is probably not possible, but think that if she sits around it is a waste of a lovely vessel that could have some very good uses. Just thinking outside the box!! Built for the channel, her, too. Not good for ships to be idle for too long, so hopefully she will be in service somewhere with someone soon.

It would mean we get her in Poole!😊 Only problem is I would want to keep the Lib as welI, I spent many years coveting her, and we have her. I wanted Barf back, got her, now if we could get the NS - hat trick! I'm no Nostradamus, though, Wortley. Although I can envisage the NS in UK waters somewhere - or in Europe.

Edited by Khaines

Maybe she could replace the Sandbanks ferry and just provide a floating bridge across the entrance to Poole Harbour! A few nice little restaurants on board for holiday-makers and commuters that want to break their journey. No need to worry about deadweight because all the freight would just drive straight through! Only problem is, she'd have to move anytime any vessel wanted to enter or leave the harbour. So probably a bit of a daft idea - but as good a way as any for seeing her in Poole, and no more daft that than the idea she might be able to squeeze into St Helier or St Peter Port! :)

It would mean we get her in Poole!😊 Only problem is I would want to keep the Lib as welI, I spent many years coveting her, and we have her. I wanted Barf back, got her, now if we could get the NS - hat trick! I'm no Nostradamus, though, Wortley. Although I can envisage the NS in UK waters somewhere - or in Europe.

A sister for Barfleur... Honfleur maybe? BF could do away with NEx and her height restrictions and be able to carry more freight & caravans... AND I wouldn't need to reverse on to her...!

Hypothetically speaking of course, she would be an acceptable replacement for Barf - perish the thought she'd be replaced anyway, she doesn't need to be but if any ship would be nice enough to replace her, I think she would do. And probably be within her freight capacity - how many units does Barf carry? But we can forget that one as it isn't going to happen is it!😉

Edited by Khaines

Hypothetically speaking of course, she would be an acceptable replacement for Barf -t!😉

Barfleur was originally branded as "Truckline Ferries". There's a hint here that Poole-Cherbourg need good freight capacity. It was said in this forum (can't find where though) that Nova Star can only carry a ridiculously low number of freight units. That's why LD won their case and why she sat for a long time in Singapour with little interest from ferry companies. A bit like Liberation actually...

I wasn't going to compare with the Lib, originally but thought about it. And I was paining hard to put my comments regarding Barf. My thoughts on that was that I was trying to think of a route that is possibly within the freight capacity of the Star and sprung to mind that it is probably on my own doorstep. Unfortunately in reality that would displace Barf, think not. But if I had to pick any ship that could replace her IF she needed replacing, which she most certainly doesn't then the Star would be very acceptable.

She can't carry any decent amount of freight (363 cars or 38 lorries) has only 163 cabins so not much use for Economie or cruising a shame because she does seem a nice ship.

I think she can carry more lorries - around 60, remember a very good previous LD source telling me on Facebook, can't remember the number without trawling through loads of posts, but pretty sure it was a lot more than 38. Maybe I'm wrong and memory playing tricks.

I think she can carry more lorries - around 60, remember a very good previous LD source telling me on Facebook, can't remember the number without trawling through loads of posts, but pretty sure it was a lot more than 38. Maybe I'm wrong and memory playing tricks.

Just went by Wikipedia so it might not be true.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Nova_Star

Accommodation vessel for LNG pipeline construction. Currently anchored off West Grand Bahama. Keep her occupied for next year or so.

Accommodation vessel for LNG pipeline construction. Currently anchored off West Grand Bahama. Keep her occupied for next year or so.
She is going to be an accommodation vessel or she could be, I don't understand your post, sorry!! Accommodation vessel would be a waste of a good ship, think it wold keep her occupied, but vessels normally used for this purpose are usually the older ladies whose sailing days are mostly over, hers has barely begun. I think she does have a use as a ferry as she was built for, but it would have to be a niche. Obviously not s freighter, but she is more cruise than ferry I think anyway being a cruiseferry.

She is going to be an accommodation vessel or she could be, I don't understand your post, sorry!! Accommodation vessel would be a waste of a good ship, think it wold keep her occupied, but vessels normally used for this purpose are usually the older ladies whose sailing days are mostly over, hers has barely begun. I think she does have a use as a ferry as she was built for, but it would have to be a niche. Obviously not s freighter, but she is more cruise than ferry I think anyway being a cruiseferry.

Sorry Khaines. Was in a hurry at the time.

Nova Star has been chartered to act as an accommodation vessel during the construction of the Ocean Express LNG pipeline from Florida to the Bahamas. She docked briefly in Freeport, to store up and take on some additional equipment before heading the few miles up the coast to anchor. I believe the charter is initially for three months, but can't confirm that anywhere at the moment. I'll post if I find out any more info.

Out of interest, bought Ships Monthly today and there is a small piece on her in the News section. They say that she was going to be called European Leader, is this correct, first heard of it.

The Nova Star is currently en-route to Algeciras, Spain. It will be very interesting to see who has snapped her up...!

It's reported to have been chartered to Inter Shipping Ferries which operate between Tanger and Algeciras.

• Like 1

It's reported to have been chartered to Inter Shipping Ferries which operate between Tanger and Algeciras.

Says on their Wikipedia page that they used MS Norman Asturias up until 2014 must like Norman boats.