Sign in to follow this  
Banditman

NOVA CRUISES: Nova Star

What a funny route for her. Crossing time can't be more than 2 hours - the Gibraltar Straits crossing looks very similar to the Straits of Dover. Can't imagine her cabins coming in very useful!

I suppose they didn't use Barfluers cabins when she was on Dover Calais or Norman spirits it might help with her weight issues if they don't 😉

What happened to the accommodation ship stuff then - thought she was going to be doing that. Glad she is doing what she was built for and the is carrying people from A - B, not sitting around as an accommodation vessel.

Nova Star's introduction on the Tangier run has been delayed as it has been found that her bow ramp is too short. She remains alongside in Algeciras whilst a decision on a modification is made. Presumably she is unable (or the operator is unwilling) to operate her as a stern loader only?

What's happened to Nova Star? It all seems to have gone quiet at that front. Did they decide to modify the bow ramp or what? At the risk of straying off this topic and onto another one Nova Star would be the type of ship which could serve the Channel Islands well but at 161m overall length she'd be miles too long but 161m is nothing exceptional these days.

If she served the CI, that means we'd probably have her in Poole....😊 Said before, if she didn't have her issues, she would be an ideal replacement for Bretagne? Waste of a good vessel she is at the moment. Everything except "that" problem is perfect for a BF ship.

Nova Star would make a good replacement for Bretagne, but I feel that replacing Barfleur, would be better however without scrubbers makes it a none starter.

[QUfOTE=Eddies;n260085]Nova Star would make a good replacement for Bretagne, but I feel that replacing Barfleur, would be better however without scrubbers makes it a none starter.I think she is too big for replacing Barf, but due to her load problems she could take a lesser amount of freight doing the Poole run. She has got such a lot of potential, I thought of Bretagne due to how smart she is inside, she would probably keep Bretagne regulars happy. Is she a comfortable vessel to sail in?

I think she is too big for replacing Barf, but due to her load problems she could take a lesser amount of freight doing the Poole run. She has got such a lot of potential, I thought of Bretagne due to how smart she is inside, she would probably keep Bretagne regulars happy. Is she a comfortable vessel to sail in?

Nova Star is about the same size as Barf, but I would take the point over lane mts as for the comfort on board then you could be right.

As for fitting Scrubbers it all comes down to the cost as BF have laid out so much on re-fits.

Regarding her being the same size as Barfy, she looks incredibly deceptive from the inside, she has a lot more amenities. Been looking at pics of her docked and ahe is actually smaller than what I thought, I thought she was more like Norman Spirit in size, but she isn't that much bigger than Barf. Barf wih commodore cabins!

Another feature of Nova Star's which could be a consideration in determining her future ideal employment is that as Norman Leader and intended for Portsmouth-Le Havre she was equipped for double deck loading and discharging.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1776880.1397578321!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg

Similar view to what would be her coming into the Haven... Not to keen on talking about replacing Barfy but this ship I think would be very acceptable and as she has more amenities she might win over those who dislike travelling on our present friend. Was talking about her deadweight issues elsewhere and someone mentioned that she would possibly only be able to operate in Poole at high tides unless regular dredging took place?

Regarding her being the same size as Barfy, she looks incredibly deceptive from the inside, she has a lot more amenities. Been looking at pics of her docked and ahe is actually smaller than what I thought, I thought she was more like Norman Spirit in size, but she isn't that much bigger than Barf. Barf wih commodore cabins!

​Remember Brigitte the interior shots are like estate agents pictures, taken with the right lens to make it look bigger.

The specifications available earlier in Post#41 give the design draft of Nova Star as 6.05m. The max for Poole at all states of the tide is 7.5m. It's 9.5m at high tide. So to what extent have issues over dead weight so dramatically increased the draft that Nova Star can only enter Poole Harbour at high tide?

She's far too small as a Bretagne replacement. Too few passengers(1200 against 2000) 162 cabins, too few lane metres, no a la carte restaurant, I'm afraid a compete non-starter even if her issues were successfully sorted out

• Like 2

I suggested Bretagne before I realised how much smaller she is than I thought. Was thinking along the lines of what a smart vessel she is inside, plus externally she is an attractive ship and would look good in BF livery. But as has been pointed out she would be more appropriate due to her size for replacing our Poole friend. Considering the latter is staying with us, thanfully for a while yet, if the Star did come into rhe fleet, she could be put to use elsewhere. She would save the cost of a newbuild?