Sign in to follow this  
Banditman

NOVA CRUISES: Nova Star

She would have to be put on a route that did not need a large freight capacity and did not require a lot of cabins for night crossings. So Poole to Cherbourg seems the only likely candidate. Or once the NEX leaves the fleet put her on Portsmouth to Cherbourg. And reinstate a year round service. Ed.

If we take maximum vehicles lengths from this reference document: http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/IntOrg/road/pdf/dimensions.pdf

we can see that the UK and France have identical legislation. Let's assume that an average truck is equivalent to 4 cars (which might be conservative but I just did a rough calculation - please improve on it if you wish) which means that if the vessel takes its maximum truck load then it is 38 X 4, so 152 cars less than the total capacity. Therefore only 184 cars can also be carried. This means 38 freight drivers plus let's say 736 car passengers (if each car contains 4 people, which I know is unlikely) so 774 people, a little over half the total passenger capacity. Therefore she needs to be on a line attracting a lot of foot passengers and day-trippers, which rules out Poole due to a lack of good public transport links but might suit Portsmouth. Ed

​Remember Brigitte the interior shots are like estate agents pictures, taken with the right lens to make it look bigger.

I was thinking more along the lines of the amount of facilities to fit in a ship not much bigger than Barfeur, but where Barf has all that open space at the back between her funnels, the Star has, restaurant and bar I think, in what would be the equivalant area. She seems to have quite a bit crammed in.

Found pic of her stern view to show what I mean. As said, judging by her appearance in photos at sea, she looks a lot bigger than she actually is.

http://www.notabletravels.com/a-cruise-to-yarmouth-nova-scotia-aboard-the-new-nova-star/

Edited by Khaines

Interesting pictures - not the ship but Yarmouth. We have a fly drive organised for Nova Scotia in July and Yarmouth is on our route! Just hope we get that sort of weather.

About the same size as Normandie with whom she was designed to compete.

Yes, physically she is almost identical but with only 75% of the cabin capacity, about 60% of the passenger capacity and, as stated before, about the same disparity in terms of car space. It's a little difficult to see where the internal space has been lost, as it were, to fit in more people and vehicles. It is clearly designed for short routes and to get people moving around the vessel instead of sitting (no cinema, no specific quiet lounges) and provides more space to do so. I guess loading and unloading are pretty quick with the double level system and on her present route that must be a bonus. Her crossings on the Straits of Gibraltar seem to take around 2 hours or so, giving very little time for people to sit and relax and the turnaround time must be must be quite fast although the website for her current operator is not very easy to understand (I could only find a Spanish language version). Ed

She does not have scrubbers I presume, so if she was to operate in these waters she would need a trip to the shipyard. And possibly end up with an abomination ruining her appearance. Her funnel is in proportion at the moment, and when it comes to the BF fleet, there have been a few shocks returning from their fittings, culminating in that thing on the Pont, and that would look dreadful on her!

So is she more the size of Normandie or Barfleur, I guess somewhere in between. Who is her current operator in Gibraltar - Intershipping/Inter Ship?

It should be remembered that Nova Star's builders, ST Marine in Singapore, had never built a pax ship before and got things a bit wrong which is why LD Lines refused to take delivery.

I'm not sure it's right to say Poole has poor public transport links. I'd say they were just as good as anywhere else.

When Barf used to do overnighters from Poole I used to catch one of the tourist open top buses, the City Sightseers, and get the last one way before they went back to the depot, used to drop me at the Quay. Got a special rate as I was just going the one way as opposed to a round trip...

Unfortunately they stopped going to the Quay, now have to get the M1/2 and walk from the bus station...😐

It should be remembered that Nova Star's builders, ST Marine in Singapore, had never built a pax ship before and got things a bit wrong which is why LD Lines refused to take delivery.

I'm not sure it's right to say Poole has poor public transport links. I'd say they were just as good as anywhere else.

I did not say they were poor. They are as good as they need to be for Poole. It's just that you can only go up to London or down to the west of Dorset directly without changing trains. So the catchment area is smaller and the local population is older and so less inclined to take complicated transport links to reach their destination. Portsmouth has more links directly to Wales, two London stations, airports and most of the heavily populated south coast so more people can get there more quickly. Therfore if you were having to rely on foot passengers to make your service viable that's where I would go from. That is just my opinion but as usual we are just speculating and maybe even dreaming as there is no suggestion that this vessel will ever come to BF. Ed.

Ps. I thought the shuttle bus was seasonal but may have been withdrawn. The walk to the station takes around 25 minutes in my experience and the taxis are not too expensive.

Edited by Cabin-boy

In Poole, More bus 8 goes from the Bus Station to Hamworthy, passing near the ferry terminal. It's no. 9 in the other direction.

In Portsmouth, First buses X4, 8 and X9 all go from the Hard to the stop on the main road by the International Port.

BF are wanting newbuilds as no suitable ships have been available on the 2nd hand market recently well Nova star has. I think that says it all about her BF chances.

• Like 1

I don't actually mind the morning walk to the terminal in Poole to be honest, I get a very early bus (05.45) and have my routine coffee in Subway at the station before a walk through Poole. Nicer when it is daylight that time of the morning, it is a peaceful stroll, I get my papers from the newsagent near the quay then pootle on round to the terminal. Poole is lovely that time of the morning and I like a few minutes to sit by the quay.

A car with parking sensors can tell you if your garage wall is less than a foot away, all for around £20,000. How a can a billion dollar submarine not spot a cargo ship at persicope depth? I'm sure there is an excuse. And while the MOD think of one, here is an artice from the Telegraph about the crash with a nice clear picture of the damage with what looks to be the Nova Star docked in the background - hopefully without a matching dent somewhere below the waterline. Ed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/21/1bn-nuclear-sub-damaged-in-med-collision-was-training-new-comman/

A car with parking sensors can tell you if your garage wall is less than a foot away, all for around £20,000. How a can a billion dollar submarine not spot a cargo ship at persicope depth? I'm sure there is an excuse. And while the MOD think of one, here is an artice from the Telegraph about the crash with a nice clear picture of the damage with what looks to be the Nova Star docked in the background - hopefully without a matching dent somewhere below the waterline. Ed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/21/1bn-nuclear-sub-damaged-in-med-collision-was-training-new-comman/

I think the sub knew it was there all right. Attack subs are used to gather intelligence on potential enemy warships. One way they do this is to get underneath the target ship where they cannot be detected and then photograph its underwater equipment from a few feet away.

Obviously this is a tricky procedure so they practise on unsuspecting merchant ships which is what I suspect has happened here and the sub was allowed to rise a bit too far, not that the MoD will ever admit it of course.

I think the sub knew it was there all right. Attack subs are used to gather intelligence on potential enemy warships. One way they do this is to get underneath the target ship where they cannot be detected and then photograph its underwater equipment from a few feet away.

Obviously this is a tricky procedure so they practise on unsuspecting merchant ships which is what I suspect has happened here and the sub was allowed to rise a bit too far, not that the MoD will ever admit it of course.

That's very true but I wouldn't want to do it in a vehicle with no windows Ed.

Hydrodynamics and rising sea temperatures in shallower waters make submerged subs jumpy anyway, a bit like air turbulence. If she was initially in her wake, think of that in a similar way to F1's when they talk about "dirty air". Then there's the pull involved in the cargo ships displaced water... The readings across her control surfaces would have been all over the place.

As cva suggests, It's a highly technical skill which must be mastered if they want to perform INT & SQUINT

That's very true but I wouldn't want to do it in a vehicle with no windows Ed.

Hydrodynamics and rising sea temperatures in shallower waters make submerged subs jumpy anyway, a bit like air turbulence. If she was initially in her wake, think of that in a similar way to F1's when they talk about "dirty air". Then there's the pull involved in the cargo ships displaced water... The readings across her control surfaces would have been all over the place.

As cva suggests, It's a highly technical skill which must be mastered if they want to perform INT & SQUINT

I'm not sure it's wise to leap to the conclusion that Nova Star could have been the other vessel involved merely because she was in the background of a press photo of the damaged submarine. False rumours get started this way. For the present NS just happened to be in the background when the picture was taken. The photographer will have hit pay dirt to get both ships in the same shot if NS does turn out to have been the other vessel.

I'm not sure it's wise to leap to the conclusion that Nova Star could have been the other vessel involved merely because she was in the background of a press photo of the damaged submarine. False rumours get started this way. For the present NS just happened to be in the background when the picture was taken. The photographer will have hit pay dirt to get both ships in the same shot if NS does turn out to have been the other vessel.