Sign in to follow this  
Banditman

NOVA CRUISES: Nova Star

The article refers to a merchant vessel so I doubt very much it was the ferry that was involved as commercial vessel would perhaps have been more accurate. I was just trying to find a way of getting the fact that I had spotted the Nova Star in the background of another story into my post. In any case she is still sailing at the moment so no panic. Ed

The article refers to a merchant vessel so I doubt very much it was the ferry that was involved as commercial vessel would perhaps have been more accurate. I was just trying to find a way of getting the fact that I had spotted the Nova Star in the background of another story into my post. In any case she is still sailing at the moment so no panic. Ed

If said Merchant vessel was not moving then she would not have alarge Sonar signature. This may have been masked by other "noisy" vessels in the area. Just because AmbuSh was at periscope depth does not mean the scopes were raised. Unlike all the films, Submarines are not sending "pings" but listening. A ping tells everyone where you are.

If said Merchant vessel was not moving then she would not have alarge Sonar signature. This may have been masked by other "noisy" vessels in the area. Just because AmbuSh was at periscope depth does not mean the scopes were raised. Unlike all the films, Submarines are not sending "pings" but listening. A ping tells everyone where you are.

I assume that is what they always refer to as passive sonar (as opposed to active sonar). Ed.

Spot on, she does seem to have lost her optical masts though. The Astutes have an array of around 6 or 7 just behind the damaged area.

I assume that is what they always refer to as passive sonar (as opposed to active sonar). Ed.

Spot on, she does seem to have lost her optical masts though. The Astutes have an array of around 6 or 7 just behind the damaged area.

Wonder how the NS is doing anyway, haven't heard much about her of recent. She doing ok?

And I still think she is a BF ship....😊

Wonder how the NS is doing anyway, haven't heard much about her of recent. She doing ok?

And I still think she is a BF ship....😊

I'm notvso sure Nick, although I am at pains to use the words "replacement for Barfleur" she would be a suitable replacement in the future, and she would not require a huge amount of freight units. If you think of what Barfleur carries in general, the NS should cope with that pretty well. NS has a lot more scope for facilities on board too, so she would actually be an improvement on our dear friend and maybe she would encourage more to use Poole who at present do not do so because they feel Barfleur hasn't got that much going on inside. When the time does unfortunately come for our friend to depart the fleet, I would be happy for the NS to replace her. I think she would bring more custom to Poole.

Yes good ship but with those deadweight issues restricted freight carried, BF should keep well away.

The powers that be at BF HQ are far too sensible to go anywhere near her.

I remember when Barfleur was laid up - the general consensus of opinion on here was that she was gone for good, she would never be back on the Western Channel - and we should all forget about her and stop crying over spilt milk. I was probably the only one on this site saying she would be - so lesson in assuming there as to what BF will or won't do.... Remember comments as to bringing our bud back to Poole was madness - look at her now, back to old times again and really busy, so one shouldn't assume they know what the powers to be think - could be very wrong....

Another example is Etretat - whoever thought BF would have a Visentini in the fleet, that caused mortification and outrage on here such as the surprise announcement that the Norman Voyager was coming to us. None of us know what is going on in the HQ until it is announced.

Edited by Khaines

She's sailing for Inter Shipping who started in 2012. Stena Feronia was replaced by Norman Asturias who now has been replaced by Nova Star. It appears to be a solid, steady & successful evolution.

If she was suitable she would have replaced Barfluer or Etretat but she isn't and hasn't.
Because Barfleur isn't and wasn't being replaced at the time and she is hardly in Etretat's Economie class, she ,has a full range of facilities on offer, her only issue is with her deadweight, which, if used on the Poole - Cherbourg route and kept within her limits she should be no different from Barfleur freightwise. What is Barf freight like, bet the NS could carry that easily without difficulty. It is a problem easily solved by sensible loadings, she seems ok where she is at the moment.

I wonder if the full story of her construction and cancellation by LD Lines will ever come out? I've certainly heard a few interesting accounts from various people involved with her.

I think it speaks volumes that none of the main European operators who were in the market for replacement or additional tonnage took her.

On another not entirely separate topic Ferry Publications is publishing a book later this year about LD Lines.

Because Barfleur isn't and wasn't being replaced at the time and she is hardly in Etretat's Economie class, she ,has a full range of facilities on offer, her only issue is with her deadweight, which, if used on the Poole - Cherbourg route and kept within her limits she should be no different from Barfleur freightwise. What is Barf freight like, bet the NS could carry that easily without difficulty. It is a problem easily solved by sensible loadings, she seems ok where she is at the moment.

I'm no expert but if you have a ship with issues then you stay well clear let some other company deal with it ,can honestly say I would be surprised beyond belief if she ever became a BF ship .

Just to humour this discussion for a moment. The other factor to think about is resale. The last thing you want as a ferry company is to be lumbered with something that you will have no hope of being able to sell on when surplus to requirements. Big mistake to sink money into something not fit for purpose and find you have no way of getting any of your money back.

Just ask Condor - they know!

• Like 1

On another not entirely separate topic Ferry Publications is publishing a book later this year about LD Lines.

Just looked up the details of it on the FP website. Somehow they have managed to get the history of LD up to 48 pages.....I think it must be a page per route tried! But it is the cheapest book in their list of current titles, and probably rightly so. Should be an interesting read.

I see they are also re-printing the book that saw the birth of Ferry Publications (The TT Years - a book I am in the credits for! ;) ).

• Like 1

Yes indeed rich - look at it another way. We all know how erratic and - let's face it, risk embracing - LD was with its strategic decision making. Must have been a very significant issue for LD of all companies to reject this vessel. Especially after all the build up they had given to its entry into service, and especially as, given the issues, they could almost certainly have taken delivery of her at a significantly reduced price.

Edited by Gareth