Sign in to follow this  
old trucker

BARFLEUR: Technical Problems

So why do they say that the cancellations are due to the weather?

A technical problem that means she is unable to operate in the forecast weather conditions?

She has been having some trouble with one of the main engine and the bow thrusters recently.

I will be watching this one closely as we are due to sail on her on Saturday morning. We initially booked Arm Ply-Ros on Saturday night but the little one wanted to arrive earlier in Brittany so I changed it to Poole-Cherbourg. Far from being my preference though.

We were booked tomorrow morning, but the car was already packed as we were staying overnight in Poole (non-refundable Premier Inn). Anyway we are on the Normandie, adding an extra day to our Christmas holiday. Not that busy (I expect most of Barfleurs passengers will travel tomorrow morning on the Normandie - as we were originally offered). Boat in spotless condition. We probably travel on he Normandie six times a year, and I have never seen it so clean -spick and span. Very impressed, as I told them at reception - impeccable . Maybe its just because our last crossing was Dover-Dunkerque. . . Happy Christmas, BFEers

• Like 2

I've heard word she has generator problems. She is one of the most reliable of the fleet, and her reliability is usually 100%, so hopefully she will be back on form soon.

I've heard word she has generator problems. She is one of the most reliable of the fleet, and her reliability is usually 100%, so hopefully she will be back on form soon.

Yes waiting on a part for it not a major thing by the sounds of it.

So the old crate has packed up again, second time in the last month I've been cancelled off it. As the drive to Portsmouth down the A303 is a pain in the Condor at that time of the morning transferred to the Pont Aven from Plymouth tonight. Fuel compo for the extra miles should nicely pay for dinner Le Flora :-D Every cloud has a silver lining, downside is half a day less at home though..

Which one is the old crate please d2frs? I guess we all have our own perceptions of which one that could be. For me I'd immediately think of Bretagne.

For fear of mentioning a non-BF ship, I was on Isle of Inishmore yesterday for the first time. And how time flies, I thought she was younger than she was, but she looked every bit her age, rather scruffy and very dated decor. We sailed and arrived late (boarded about on time and arrived at a much more respectable 8.40am), but reminded me that even if BF are running a few old tubs, then there's worse out there.

Anyone know why the Barfleur is knackered at the moment? Just heard the sailings tomorrow are cancelled cos of technical fault. Not good timing. Despite her age, I don't see why the Barfleur encounters technical (engine) problems really, she has a pretty easy life!

I was on her Saturday morning. She must have problems with her generators. A large temporary generator was installed on the open deck. Two tugs were in attendance for the departure.

I was on her Saturday morning. She must have problems with her generators. A large temporary generator was installed on the open deck. Two tugs were in attendance for the departure.

Interesting... thanks. I always thought her generators were over-noisy actually for what they are. If you have ever been into her engine room you literally cannot hear anything apart from the generators, even with muffs on!

Throwing caution to the wind to ask this, but has this anything to do with her scrubbers? I'm asking because so far she has been problem free since being fitted, but just wondering if problems are coming to light further down the line. Would think that any issues with scrubbers would show themselves quite soon after fitting, but maybe some appear later on. Normandie is OK, so is the Cap, but when you look at scrubber systems they seem different on each vessel so maybe a case of each to their own when it comes to any issues.

Was on Barfleur last eve , 21st !! . She was late leaving ??? any one any ideas why ?? just curious . And there is a big generator pounding away ?? whats that all about ?? Lovely crossing on her as always .

I would imagine the lateness is due to her technical problem which they are trying to resolve at the moment. still no idea exactly what it is.

Does anyone have a handle on what is actually wrong with Barfleur and when the problem will be fixed? BF's sailing update page is currently saying both today's sailings are cancelled, also tomorrow's 08:30 Poole-Cherbourg, implying that she might be back in service for Monday`s 18:30 from Cherbourg, as that's where she is at the moment, in the company of Normandie.

Vested interest is that the family is booked on the Wednesday evening sailing (drawing the short straw for the windiest day of the week as they did on the way out!).

Wild guess here - but her issues started just before Christmas, so would the Christmas holidays have anything to do with it. Depending on exactly what her problems are, would the Christmas break interfere with any work still needing to be done?

....Or weather related....

Edited by Khaines

You are probably spot on! The locals in Cherbourg are saying the same thing and the BF French website today still has all sailings to Poole running to timetable. We also have an interest as tomorrow, Monday we do not still know whether we are sailing from Cherbourg or driving for nearly 2 hours to Ouistreham'.

Does anyone have a handle on what is actually wrong with Barfleur and when the problem will be fixed? BF's sailing update page is currently saying both today's sailings are cancelled, also tomorrow's 08:30 Poole-Cherbourg, implying that she might be back in service for Monday`s 18:30 from Cherbourg, as that's where she is at the moment, in the company of Normandie.

Vested interest is that the family is booked on the Wednesday evening sailing (drawing the short straw for the windiest day of the week as they did on the way out!).

The Barfleur has a problem with one of her three generators, which in turn power her bow thrusters. Given the current weather conditions, reduced power available to her thrusters would make maneuvring in port diffuclt, hence the cancellations.

i've commented on the Echo story this morning on this, apparently the story has brought moaners out, one this morning reckoned that the story didn't belong in the Echo catchment area, to which I felt duty bound to inform that individual that anything involving her cancellations do belong in the Echo catchment area, and that he ought to go back to carping about Weymouth's loss and the Liberation - in which this idiot frequently finds himself getting involved. Barf got every right as a Poole boat to be in the Poole papers. It is a shame she is having problems, and no doubt things are beavering away to get her ready again. Thought I'd put my pennysworth in as felt his post was out of order, no doubt I will get a mauling, but hey, I'm used to those!!! Just one of the Echo trolls.....

Rant over.

Edited by Khaines

Currently on the Barfleur. It appears that the bow thruster issue has not been resolved as there are a couple of large generators on trailers still on the starboard side to the rear of deck 6. These seems to be running hence my assumption.