Sign in to follow this  
robbie

STENA LINE: Stena Europe in rough seas

She's not going anywhere tonight. The only ships that seems to be moving on the Irish Sea are Ulysees and the Liverpool services of Stena and P&O. Everything else seems to be cancelled overnight. According to the Met Office it's violent storm force 11 and living 1 mile back from the Atlantic coast at the top of a 1 mile valley, I can tell you it's very blowy out there tonight.

It's not so much wind on the beam as the waves on the beam. And it won't have been a list as such, more of a roll. Still pictures such as these convey an apparently alarming list, but a second or two later she will probably have been listing the other way. It's just the rolling effect of a beam-on sea as the waves go past. Probably won't have lasted long, but yes, while it was happening was probably quite uncomfortable for the passengers aboard. Especially those not familiar with the motion of floating vessels.

Me too. I don't suppose she has been subject to this much roll before, as to me looks quite alarming.

I believe vessels such as the Pont are lower than this

ship, therefore not so prone to side winds etc?

To repeat, what you see in those pictures cannot possibly be caused by wind. It is caused by waves, and therefore will affect any ship the same way.

I'd love to be on the Stena Europe in those conditions, she's a wonderful ship for her age.

As far as I know, those pics are from January 2015. I understand that the ship docked eventually but could only let foot passengers off as a vehicle had "moved" on the deck, preventing other vehicles from getting off.

Russ