Andy

PELICAN: Brittany Ferries launch new freight service between Poole and Bilbao

Huh? I thought she was built as a purpose built freighter. In the many discussions we have had over her carrying passengers, it has been said repeatedly that her accommodation facilities weren't suitable, and she in general was not able to carry passengers as such. One reason being her hazardous cargo status, but also her cabins would not be suitable. Many a time she would have come in handy when we didn't have Barfleur!

Another point would be that the Cotentin has a lot more forward superstructure, so is likely to be somewhat heavier - therefore the Pelican, with the smaller mass would be more economic per unit carried (Ok maybe not much, but if you look at the paint they use to gain a few percent more efficency)

Another point would be that the Cotentin has a lot more forward superstructure, so is likely to be somewhat heavier - therefore the Pelican, with the smaller mass would be more economic per unit carried (Ok maybe not much, but if you look at the paint they use to gain a few percent more efficency)

Didn't Stena refit her to have cabins more suited to the public. I tried to book a cabin on her and it seems like they are normal cabins not shared ones like stated earlier. They are also En-Suite now apparently

She's slow though. "14 to 20 knots" with a single engine is not going to make for quick passage times. Especially in a sea. Will be interesting to see the schedules when they are published; I would imagine the passage time will be scheduled for something upwards of 30 hours.

My first thought was that she looks very long, but in fact is 3 metres shorter than Barfleur. Obviously the lack of superstructure is deceiving!

She's comfortably appointed, there's some nice touches for the crew, sauna, jacuzzi and the cabins look bright.

just what I was thinking, she is quite posh inside.

She's slow though. "14 to 20 knots" with a single engine is not going to make for quick passage times. Especially in a sea. Will be interesting to see the schedules when they are published; I would imagine the passage time will be scheduled for something upwards of 30 hours.

​Shes making 2 return trips a week - 3 1/2 days per return trip which I imagine the majority will be at sea as will be in the way on the berths if kept in port for long periods. She is carrying mainly unaccompanied freight so unless time sensitive there is no real rush to get across in 24 hours.

With just a single engine I imagine although slow she is quite economical.

​Shes making 2 return trips a week - 3 1/2 days per return trip which I imagine the majority will be at sea as will be in the way on the berths if kept in port for long periods.

In the way of which berths? I would have thougth she would use New Quay, plenty of space there to load and unload.

Be no different to when Cotentin was around. Barfleur is only there overnight unless she is doing night crossings, so that berth spends a lot of time free. And Liberation (when she isn't damaged or cancelled!!) spends a lot of time in the CI so plenty of opportunity I think for Pelican to berth in one of those berths.

Edited by Khaines

I would presume she could be at sea for a longtime therefore she would have to have decent facilities to keep the crew occupied and fit and healthy.

Re speed. Bretagne operates at 14 knots on 2 engines, and 19/20 knots on 4 - or at least she did when on heavy fuel oil .... The spec of Pelican on Andy's link also states max speed of 23 knots.

I'm impressed by where Pelican has been. One of the on line photos shows her in Tahiti in mid Pacific, so little trips to Spain and back will be nothing to her.

somewhere it was said that fleet mates were developed to carry spare parts for spaceshuttles at French Guyana.

It was also longterm chartered by french defense ministry; there are few photo loading tanks and aircrafts