Andy

PELICAN: Brittany Ferries launch new freight service between Poole and Bilbao

Lol! I was thinking that BF could adopt a new naming system for its freight fleet - Etretat could be renamed Zebra, Cotentin could be renamed Puffin. Then we could add a Toucan (except I think that one has already been done). But then I realised.....the final name that would be needed to complete the set is......Pegasus!

Pegasis IS a mythical creature.... Cotentin should be called Pelican instead, large and white with the capacity to swallow a huge load. (Hence the pelican's beak)

The Cap should be named after something wingless/flightless since her scrubbers - Ostrich.

Edited by Khaines

No such thing as an Ostrich Crossing though. In any case, whilst Etretat could fit the mould quite happily, it would be a bit of an insult to class Cap Finistere as a freighter!

If the passenger fleet were to be named after birds, perhaps Pont Aven should be Albatross (big and graceful) and Bretagne could be Phoenix (indestructable!). But then Armorique would have to be Magpie - keeps muscling in on everybody else's routes. We get onto dangerous ground when considering Barfleur though, whatever is suggested would be bound to upset somebody!

Perhaps it would be better to leave this train of thought and return to the point of the thread.....um.....whatever that was, can't remember now! Oh yes.....Pelican. Keeping my eye out for news or a timetable on the BF freight website but nothing there yet.

No such thing as an Ostrich Crossing though. In any case, whilst Etretat could fit the mould quite happily, it would be a bit of an insult to class Cap Finistere as a freighter!

If the passenger fleet were to be named after birds, perhaps Pont Aven should be Albatross (big and graceful) and Bretagne could be Phoenix (indestructable!). But then Armorique would have to be Magpie - keeps muscling in on everybody else's routes. We get onto dangerous ground when considering Barfleur though, whatever is suggested would be bound to upset somebody!

Perhaps it would be better to leave this train of thought and return to the point of the thread.....um.....whatever that was, can't remember now! Oh yes.....Pelican. Keeping my eye out for news or a timetable on the BF freight website but nothing there yet.

I meant the Cap because she is part of the fleet, not a freighter as such - and as you mention it, Barfleur - smallest of the fleet = goldcrest or wren. Diddy birds, loads of character...😉

I meant the Cap because she is part of the fleet, not a freighter as such - and as you mention it, Barfleur - smallest of the fleet = goldcrest or wren. Diddy birds, loads of character...😉

Haha! Perhaps the concept should be extended to ConLib - Flamingo (pretty in pink)! Oh wait....Condor is already a bird isn't it! Stop it Gareth.... :)

Is this a ferry service or a liner cargo service in the ro-ro mode? The particulars of Pelican are rather more those of a deepsea ro-ro freighter than those of a ferry, especially the single screw. Very intriguing move by BF. I wonder what has actually prompted it.

Yes good point HT. With 1 screw it will be interesting how she gets on with manoeuvring, especially in Poole Harbour. Will she be able to berth routinely without tug assistance? The other aspect of the announcement that is intriguing is the apparent suddenness of it - one wonders if they have had a tip-off that another company was looking to start such a service and so acted to head it off?

I would think the single screwed MN Pelican will be all right in Poole Harbour. Historically I'm sure Poole's coasters etc were single screwed, albeit smaller! However this development does pose questions about LD Lines operation with Norman Asturias. Too much competition the experts said or was it LD couldn't be bothered competing. It will be interesting to see how this BF initiative gets on.

I seem to recall PHC were keen to develop on Norman Asturias container traffic on mafi trailers. Maybe BF thinks it's a good idea as well but not entirely best suited to a busy place like the PIP. Hence Poole.

Is it possible for Pelican to fully load via the side door on the starboard side? If it is it would solve all the problems that LD and BF had sharing the Ro-Ro berth.

I guess as this time it is BF and BF who have to share the berth they will work out some timings that fit around Barfleur. Problem with LD was that they were often still on the berth when Barfleur came in, but with BF in full control I can't see there being any problems.

Having said that, given that this service is supposed to be starting "early February" (which essentially means in about 2 weeks' time) I'm surprised it's not being advertised at all. Not only is there no sign of a timetable on the BF freight site, there isn't even anything announcing the start of the service. So if it does start then, not sure who is going to be using it.

Maybe BF are drumming up business in Spain rather than here. There is supposed to be an imbalance, with the bulk of the trade moving north from Spain to the UK. Transfennica called at Portsmouth on only the northbound crossing.

So if it does start then, not sure who is going to be using it.

This is a business-to-business service. So, who knows what sort of contracts BF have signed with customers agreeing to carry

X amount of trailers a year.

In fact, theoretically BF could not advertise this service at all and it would still be known about because logistics managers who work for "big fish" (not in the food sense btw...) companies / organisations who deal with the UK / Iberian market won't be long finding out about it. It is, after all, their job.

Has any announcement been made as to when MN Pelican will be appearing at Poole for the first time. I'm sure many enthusiasts would like to be Harbour side.

Hi Hawser Trunnion, 'MN Pelican' will be departing Bilbao on Thursday 11th February at 20:00, arriving in Poole on Saturday 13th February at 10:00, then departing at 16:00 heading back to Bilbao. I have been told that 'MN Pelican' will not require berthing trials in Poole or Bilbao.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Good find Michael. Not obvious how to find that from the BF freight website. Summary of Pelican's schedules as follows:

Mon: 0800 arr Bilbao; 1200 dep Bilbao

Tues: 1800 arr Poole; 2359 dep Poole

Weds: At sea

Thurs: 1400 arr Bilbao; 2000 dep Bilbao

Fri: At sea

Sat: 1000 arr Poole; 1600 dep Poole

Sun: At sea

Some observations from this schedule:

Passage times are 37 hours and 39 hours southbound, 31 hours and 39 hours northbound. (The fact that one of them is 31 hours means that there is clearly a lot of leeway with the others and one wonders if any of the longer passages will involve calls at Cherbourg or Roscoff? If the crew is not being provided by BF then I can't see why there would need to be a call into France for crew-change purposes, but there may be a market for increasing the France-Spain provision that CF is currently offering once a week.) Of course, as well as being a slow ship as previously highlighted, there will also be the issue that the ship would be likely to take the long route outside Ushant.

The Tuesday call at Poole will not interfere with Barfleur because that is one of the days when Barfleur returns from Cherbourg overnight and so will not be getting into Poole until Wednesday morning. Come the summer, however, when Barfleur returns to Poole at about 10pm every day, this timetable of Pelican will clash with Barfleur's. One of them will need to change. Pelican's Saturday call at Poole is well clear of Barfleur, getting in 90 minutes after Barfleur leaves in the morning. The two of them will probably be seen passing in the vicinity of the Bar buoy (or where that used to be as it is no longer there) every Saturday at about 0915.

Not of immediate relevance, but if this timetable for Pelican remains the same in April then the Thursday call at Blibao is scheduled to get in whilst CF is still in port (CF not scheduled to depart until 1530). Not a problem as there are 2 berths, but there should be the regular sight of both Pelican and CF in port at Bilbao together every Thursday once Pont Aven is back and CF resumes her normal schedules.

Edited by Gareth

Her sailings appear on the February freight timetable - http://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co...ruary_2016.pdf

The crossings for MN Pelican on the 8th & 9th Feb (stated on that timetable) are wrong, she will not start service until the 11th. I have also confirmed this with Brittany Ferries.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n256034[/ATTACH]

Edited by TonyMWeaver