Andy

PELICAN: Brittany Ferries launch new freight service between Poole and Bilbao

Not much on her upper vehicle deck. Surprised considering this was one of the few sailings to have been made from Spain in the last week or so.

Not much on her upper vehicle deck. Surprised considering this was one of the few sailings to have been made from Spain in the last week or so.

As she present independent/separated access to weather deck/top deck they were not really sure that Poole ramp configuration allows safe ramp conection. in my opinion BAI did not want to get risk related to top deck loading and no chance too discharge.

main deck and basement were fully loaded

lets see how she goes when there were no cancellations

When is she due to come back from Spain, Cotentin was always well loaded wasn't she, when she came in on Mondays - if my memory serves me correctly.

She's due back on Tuesday at 18:00, only in Poole Tuesdays & Saturdays.

Timetable here:

Summary of Pelican's schedules as follows:

Mon: 0800 arr Bilbao; 1200 dep Bilbao

Tues: 1800 arr Poole; 2359 dep Poole

Weds: At sea

Thurs: 1400 arr Bilbao; 2000 dep Bilbao

Fri: At sea

Sat: 1000 arr Poole; 1600 dep Poole

Sun: At sea

Somehow I doubt it, if Cotentin came back she would operate from Poole as she did before or she would operate from Pompey - which in all honesty is better for her. I personally think Poole is suitable for a smaller freight ship like Pelican or like Coutances, her predecessor. Cotentin is much larger capacity and would be better off operating from Pompey, much as it would be great to see her back in Poole.

Think the liklihood of Cotentin replacing Barfleur is as much as Liberation doing so.

No. There would be no advantage that I can see to having her back.

Why not? If Pelican picks up enough freight, maybe BF will reinstate Cotentin? No reason why she can't do just 2 trips to Spain a week like Pelican.

Why not? If Pelican picks up enough freight, maybe BF will reinstate Cotentin? No reason why she can't do just 2 trips to Spain a week like Pelican.

Costs mostly no passenger issues (drivers),guaranteed income from Stena a lot cheaper for them to run pelican and as its a years charter if it goes pear shaped they can hand her back , having no drivers means no hurry so a slower cheaper crossing.

Cotentin did do Spanish runs - but they weren't viable hence she being where she is now. Cotentin ran half empty a lot of the time, and a smaller freight ship is more practical. Love to have her back though.

Cotentin did do Spanish runs - but they weren't viable hence she being where she is now. Cotentin ran half empty a lot of the time, and a smaller freight ship is more practical. Love to have her back though.

Cotentin's issue was not the Spanish route but the Cherbourg service which saw a massive downturn after the introduction of more direct services to Spain. The Friday, later Saturday, departure from Poole to Santander was often packed as was the inbound arriving on Monday.

There was also the issue of her ownership, I understand the organisation that made a large contribution to her building costs wanted her to run to Cherbourg during the week and wasn't overly keen on the midweek Poole-Spain service but it eventually happened but that was with Barfleur still running, when Barfleur was withdrawn Cotentin had to go back to Poole-Cherbourg during the week and the rest is history.....

Yes, remember well when Barfleur was withdrawn and standing in the terminal seeing Cotentin sitting there knowing full darn well she was going to Poole and us pax had to go to Pompey on NEX, and in my case get back from Pompey to Poole late at night...😡 Love NEX, but it was the long drawn out route back to Poole when Cotentin went there. I know she could not take pax but still grated!!! Don't mind going to and from Pompey to get to other destinatians.

There's no reason Cotentin has to stop in Cherbourg every week to take on or offload trucks. Cap Finistere is running a Spanish only timetable so they stop in France for a few hours to crew change. why cant they run a similar system with her.

I think the main issue is that Cotentin is a passenger vessel and would require a BF crew and guest staff. MN Pelican has been chartered fully manned and carries no passengers. If the service is a success I think there's more chance of BF chartering her sister Toucan in the same manner rather than bringing back Cotentin for Poole...

I'd prefer reinstating her instead of the 'Tat on the Le Havre run. She has a greater freight capacity, she's 20m shorter and her lower pax capacity would be offset by NEx.

I think the main issue is that Cotentin is a passenger vessel and would require a BF crew and guest staff. MN Pelican has been chartered fully manned and carries no passengers. If the service is a success I think there's more chance of BF chartering her sister Toucan in the same manner rather than bringing back Cotentin for Poole...

I'd prefer reinstating her instead of the 'Tat on the Le Havre run. She has a greater freight capacity, she's 20m shorter and her lower pax capacity would be offset by NEx.

As much as I would love to have Pelican and Toucan flying side by side up and down to Spain, it will never happen. Toucan is too small and too slow. 9125GRT, 115M x 20m, and approx 14.5 knots.