Andy

PELICAN: Brittany Ferries launch new freight service between Poole and Bilbao

French Master, Chief officer on deck

French Chief ingenier, 1st ingenier

+

14 philippines

Very interesting, thanks. Not an insignificant move for BF, although of course they are not customer-facing. If that ever happens I would predict there may be rather larger ripples in the BF pond of tranquillity:)

• Like 1

She spent the night in Poole Bay, she is on her way Spainwards now.

Bilbao call has been cancelled due to bad weather and strong winds ushant waypoint. Today would be better although 35-40 knots wind expected tomorrow in biscaye.

We expect her to remain anchoraged today/tomorrow to load at Poole on Saturday and maintain schedule

Thanks, I checked ais this morning and it showed she was moving so assumed she was on her way.

No, still just outside of Poole. Possibly leaving this afternoon or evening.

No, still just outside of Poole. Possibly leaving this afternoon or evening.

So was there freight onboard when she was sheltering? Still don't see why she could not go somewhere closer than all the way back to Poole?

I thought she had some kind of difficulty which meant she had to turn round and go back to berth. Would have been easier for her to shelter near to where she turned round!

So was there freight onboard when she was sheltering? Still don't see why she could not go somewhere closer than all the way back to Poole?

might be some cargo displacement due to wrong/unfortunate lashing?? or just bad weather 10 metres swell and 40 knots is quite rough

In my poor opinion she returned "home" in view of weather forecast, to be re-loaded and get back to spain almost full, although i heard that no cargo on weather deck as is not possible to open portside stern door on Poole.

Berth defenses are good for Barfleur and no good at all for Pelican stern doors

At present time scheduled to call Bilbao sunday 8 to 12; needs to hurry up as Baie d Seine is arriving at 14:00 lt

might be some cargo displacement due to wrong/unfortunate lashing?? or just bad weather 10 metres swell and 40 knots is quite rough

In my poor opinion she returned "home" in view of weather forecast, to be re-loaded and get back to spain almost full, although i heard that no cargo on weather deck as is not possible to open portside stern door on Poole.

Berth defenses are good for Barfleur and no good at all for Pelican stern doors

At present time scheduled to call Bilbao sunday 8 to 12; needs to hurry up as Baie d Seine is arriving at 14:00 lt

Cool - thanks for that. You are probably right - a reshuffle and top her up with some more units!

She has not been anywhere near the actual berth though, she has just anchored in the bay all day not gone into port at all. Barfleur ileft this morning and won't be back till later so why hasn't Pelican returned to the berth if she was going to reload?

Ais track shows her staying outside near Old Harry.

She has not been anywhere near the actual berth though, she has just anchored in the bay all day not gone into port at all. Barfleur ileft this morning and won't be back till later so why hasn't Pelican returned to the berth if she was going to reload?

Ais track shows her staying outside near Old Harry.

Probably nothing there yet!

Did she do a 180 to Poole to gain a following sea rather than take a beam sea on a more northerly course to a closer shelter?

Quite possibly! And I guess they knew they would have to do some shuffling before setting off again...

Its one year to the day since Brittany Ferries first announced the charter of the MN Pelican onto the Poole/Bilbao route.

There has been no official confirmation of her charter being extended (was initially for 12 months), however she does currently appear on the timetable until early April.

As I said in another thread discussing this it was in the Christmas message sent to Club Voyage members, so semi official.