MV Vronskiy (Ex- Duc de Normandie)

11 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

Yes, I think it is (the M/F Prinses Beatrix). It looks like the on-board shots are a different ship though.

Yes, the onboards look to be the Koningin Juliana (later the doomed Moby Prince).

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like she finally made her way onto the beach earlier today in Aliaga

Vronskiy in the new Trasme livery -  

Disastrous news but only to be expected, in the greater scheme of things we all have a « BBE »....😩. So for all you young guns on here, a short history lesson.... Back in the late 70’s/early

Posted Images

Bergerac?!  When did he go to Ouistreham?!  I remember Earl Granville (at St Helier) featuring frequently in the series.  Plus a few of the St Malo hydrofoils or whatever they were.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, jonno said:

Looks like Vronskiy is on the move again. She is to replace FRS'  charter vessel Golden Bridge travelling between Motril in Spain & Melilla port/Nador in Morocco.

She looks in decent condition for her age, externally anyway.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

sad to hear..I went on the Duc a few times, even got the kids up to the bridge on her and yes I had a soft spot for her too..She has served all her owners and passengers well over very many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Such a shame. I remember a few holidays in the early-mid 90's starting and ending on the Duc.

Never had a bad crossing on her. 

Her biggest drawback for us as a family of 5 on a day crossing was the lack of 4-berth outside cabins. We would end up booking a 4-berth inside and then asking onboard if we could swap for 2x 2-berth just to get a window. To be fair I dont ever recall our request being refused. 

Sad to hear this.

I was on her last BF sailing, Plymouth to Roscoff, back in 2004.  There were a couple of other BFE members doing the crossing as well, so it ended up being an unofficial BFE event

Brittany Ferries Duc de Normandie (1).JPG

Brittany Ferries Duc de Normandie leaving Roscoff (2).JPG

• Like 3

Last time I actually saw her, was a few years ago now, in dry dock in Gibraltar of all places. She was on the Morocco to Spain run at the time. Some very good memories of her over many years.

3 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

She's still pottering around the sea of Marmaris. Wonder why she went there initially? Bit of a long way round. 

I think she made a visit to another ship recycling facility first. Maybe they removed some of the more valuable stuff or simply sold her on?

• Thanks 1

Disastrous news but only to be expected, in the greater scheme of things we all have a « BBE »....😩.

So for all you young guns on here, a short history lesson....

Back in the late 70’s/early 80’s car holidays to la Belle France involved a reasonably boring trip with either Townsend Thoreson/Sealink/P&O/Normandy Ferries/Hoverspeed and probably a few other forgotten contenders - Gareth you enjoyed the same memories, let me know which ones I’ve missed. 

And then on the 6th June 1986 BF challenged the established routes with a brand new option from Caen/Ouistreham to Portsmouth. Dad had shares in P&O/EF so until then there was no say in the matter but this was my honeymoon to France and I wanted to try something different. 

Sunday morning 08.06.86 MV Tregastel ex Plymouth to Roscoff (good crew but nothing exceptional) and drove past a premises I now part own, 15.06.86 drive past another premises I was to own in the future but lost in a revolution. C’est la vie, the point is Duc de Normandie was a revelation and the start of my love affair with BF. Very sad to see her go but she bridged the gap between being a farmers cooperative and the most Important player on the Western Channel today.

RIP Princess Beatrix

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was too young sadly to remember much about my first sailing on her (1986/7). But that once where we used to go on the orange boats to Cherbourg, things changed and the Duc was a revelation for us, and we’ve been with BF ever since. Not much choice nowadays I know, but I remember my parents were very impressed. Never made it on the Reine Mathilde, we always seemed to get the Duc. 

She always felt like a slight step up from the Quiberon when she occasionally covered the Roscoff route. Strange layout, with the main deck still spilt in two from her previous era. I also didn't realise she had a wine bar in her original BF fit out, leading the way for Bretagne 3 years later. Unfortunately can't find any pictures of it anywhere. Another end of an era, nearly all the classics gone. 

• Sad 1

She was obviously a poor relation to Bretagne on the St Malo route. We'd turn up at Portsmouth and 'oh, no it's the Duc again!' But she did have a certain charm.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 2

Very fond memories of the Duc having travelled on her a number of times. Yes she had a rather odd layout inside, as has been said but BF gave her a charm all of her own and we liked her. Got the kids (as they were then) up to the bridge which I remember as being rather cramped compared to the Bretagne. Nevertheless she was a well built ship who served a number of owners and a diverse number of passengers, with safety and reliability all her long service. Fondly remembered.