Jump to content

MV Vronskiy (Ex- Duc de Normandie)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like she finally made her way onto the beach earlier today in Aliaga

Vronskiy in the new Trasme livery -  

It sounds a bit like Cabin-girl trying to return a trolley at Super-U. Ed

Posted Images

Yes I  also have lots of good memories of travelling on the Duc.   I recall spending lots of time on the  outdoor deck as well as in the restaurant.  Sad to see her go especially as she looked quite good in her later life and I think she could have gone on a bit longer if covid had not intervened. Expect we will see lots more ships being scrapped prematurely now. Definitely the end of an era.  

😒

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any doubt that she has indeed been scrapped? She was shown bunkering off the coast of Malta on Wednesday, with marine Traffic last plotting her position there at 19:04, and Vessel Finder has her heading west from this position, last showing her off the coast of Tunis yesterday (approx. 16 hours ago). 

I would love it if she's had a last-minute reprieve. I have fond memories off frequently travelling on her when she first came into service as the Prinses Beatrix on the Hook to Harwich route. Although operated by Stoomvaart Maatschappij Zeeland (SMZ) she's was the last of the 1970's 'Sealink' branded ships still in service (as far as I know).

Damla passage 1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, De Hoek said:

Is there any doubt that she has indeed been scrapped? She was shown bunkering off the coast of Malta on Wednesday, with marine Traffic last plotting her position there at 19:04, and Vessel Finder has her heading west from this position, last showing her off the coast of Tunis yesterday (approx. 16 hours ago). 

I would love it if she's had a last-minute reprieve. I have fond memories off frequently travelling on her when she first came into service as the Prinses Beatrix on the Hook to Harwich route. Although operated by Stoomvaart Maatschappij Zeeland (SMZ) she's was the last of the 1970's 'Sealink' branded ships still in service (as far as I know).

Damla passage 1.jpg

Sadly the post directly above yours proves otherwise... :(

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, De Hoek said:

she's was the last of the 1970's 'Sealink' branded ships still in service (as far as I know).

As far as I know, Saint Eloi, Chartes, Prince Laurent and St Columba are all still around.  And, technically, Galloway Princess was also (just) a 70s ferry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, De Hoek said:

Is there any doubt that she has indeed been scrapped? She was shown bunkering off the coast of Malta on Wednesday, with marine Traffic last plotting her position there at 19:04, and Vessel Finder has her heading west from this position, last showing her off the coast of Tunis yesterday (approx. 16 hours ago). 

I would love it if she's had a last-minute reprieve. I have fond memories off frequently travelling on her when she first came into service as the Prinses Beatrix on the Hook to Harwich route. Although operated by Stoomvaart Maatschappij Zeeland (SMZ) she's was the last of the 1970's 'Sealink' branded ships still in service (as far as I know).

Damla passage 1.jpg

Damla off the coast of Malta on Vessel Finder has been there for almost a week, it's what i call a Ghost Ship.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, looks like she's definitely gone then. Funny, my (now very elderly) parents still referred to her as "the new ship" when I told them she'd been scrapped - they haven't travelled between Holland and England by ferry for a very long time now! 

She wasn't as pretty as the likes of the Avalon (on the Hoek van Holland to Harwich route), or the Koningin Juliana or St George, but she was a very comfortable ship, and I always enjoyed the night crossings on her.

Nice to hear there are still a few (former) Sealink ships still out there!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it all gets stripped out and sold as appropriate. Nothing new about it (literally!). There are many examples of recycling. Panelling and other fittings from the Titanic's sister ship Olympic ended up in the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick for example where the dining room uses the interior panelling and decoration from the ship's first class lounge.

You can see some of it here:

http://atlanticliners.com/white_star_home/olympic_home/

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a guy on Facebook purportedly selling various fixtures and fittings from the Marco Polo, recenly beached at Alang. I`m not going to link it as I`m not certain of its provenance. But if you google shipping author Peter Knego, he has bought lots of ships bits and pieces and has them containerd to his home on the West of the USA..He has some interesting pictures. He has been doing it for years though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2021 at 11:37, Gareth said:

Her stern door always looked so narrow it reminded me of trying to get my car into the garage!

There was always some disappointment as a child at the end of a holiday to drive into Ouistreham and see the stern side of the DDN's funnel on the horizon.

Funny how times change, these days I'd much rather the DDN than the Normandie. They don't make 'em like they used to etc etc.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jim said:

There was always some disappointment as a child at the end of a holiday to drive into Ouistreham and see the stern side of the DDN's funnel on the horizon.

Funny how times change, these days I'd much rather the DDN than the Normandie. They don't make 'em like they used to etc etc.

Do you mean you used to keep missing the ferry?🤣...Nice to see you again by the way

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

42 minutes ago, Paully said:

Do you mean you used to keep missing the ferry?🤣...Nice to see you again by the way

I'm just passing by.

Not a chance we missed the ferry... my Father was the kind who had you at the airport 5 hours before a flight.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim said:

 

I'm just passing by.

Not a chance we missed the ferry... my Father was the kind who had you at the airport 5 hours before a flight.

Man after my own heart...

Keep passing by though

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim said:

Not a chance we missed the ferry... my Father was the kind who had you at the airport 5 hours before a flight.

I think this is a universal dad thing. But in his defence, we never missed a single plane, ferry or train* during all of our holidays.

*Although considering my dad's lack of compostage of train tickets on multiple holidays, by accident and seemingly not having learnt from 'that time 3 years ago when the same happened', missing the train to Nullepart-sur-rien could have been an advantage in some cases!

By the way @hhvferry - I love the name of your article on the Duc on your blog! ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim said:

 

I'm just passing by.

Not a chance we missed the ferry... my Father was the kind who had you at the airport 5 hours before a flight.

I always tell Cabin-girl that the ferry leaves an hour before it actually does on the French side so we leave home with plenty of time to spare for the 3+ hour drive. In the UK it's only 20 minutes to Portsmouth so we allow 30 to be on the safe side. As a consequence of my subterfuge she's under the impression that ferries always leave France late due to incompetence at the ports while in England they are always on time. I haven't decided whether to tell her the truth yet.

Ed

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

 As a consequence of my subterfuge she's under the impression that ferries always leave France late due to incompetence at the ports while in England they are always on time. I haven't decided whether to tell her the truth yet.

Ed

Definitely not🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I always tell Cabin-girl that the ferry leaves an hour before it actually does on the French side so we leave home with plenty of time to spare for the 3+ hour drive. In the UK it's only 20 minutes to Portsmouth so we allow 30 to be on the safe side. As a consequence of my subterfuge she's under the impression that ferries always leave France late due to incompetence at the ports while in England they are always on time. I haven't decided whether to tell her the truth yet.

Ed

On a good day we are an 8 hour drive from Portsmouth (it once took us almost 14 hours). I therefore allow a few extra hours for the drive on both sides of the Channel. I am the main driver (my husband has a VW Up! which might just about take us and our bedding; I have a Vauxhall Zafira which will also take the necessary clothing for over 2 weeks glamping plus the bikes) so I dictate the timelines.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AdamW said:

 

By the way @hhvferry - I love the name of your article on the Duc on your blog! ;) 

Absolutely brilliant, do take a look .....

And also some fabulous photos of the old girl, they brought back so many happy memories....

Chris

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Who takes the vessel to the scrap beach. Someone who is employed just for that job or a captain from the ladt company yo own the vessel. If the latter must be hard. 

Edited by adicat
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adicat said:

Who takes the vessel to the scrap beach. Someone who is employed just for that job or a captain from the ladt company yo own the vessel. If the latter must be hard. 

That`s a very good question..From my enquiries I think its a muxture of all those scenarios. I think it depends on the final contract. There are companies who will supply delivery crew for the job. Sometimes the Indian yards supply their own crew to bring them in and sometimes the owners crew will deliver them to the yard. The Calais and Dover were delivered to the breakers by P & O crew.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/02/2021 at 21:18, Paully said:

That`s a very good question..From my enquiries I think its a muxture of all those scenarios. I think it depends on the final contract. There are companies who will supply delivery crew for the job. Sometimes the Indian yards supply their own crew to bring them in and sometimes the owners crew will deliver them to the yard. The Calais and Dover were delivered to the breakers by P & O crew.

There is a video on youtube from the bridge of the Calais. Making a complete mess of it, if I remember correctly!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...