Sign in to follow this  
LHCity

Good results for brittany ferries in Le Havre

This is not the same traffic. At P & O time there was place for two lines 800 000 passengers / year.

Despite a disarmament of 4 months of the Le Havre Portsmouth route's earlier this year, traffic is henceforth above the line Cherbourg Poole.

Edited by LHCity

Once upon a time both Caen and Le Havre were served by 3 sailings a day. So there should be more than enough traffic to justify both routes, especially as the Le Havre service is still a pretty token one sailing per day. As has been said before, Le Havre and Caen serve different markets and traffic heading to different destinations. Traffic heading southeast, towards Paris, is better off going to Le Havre whereas Caen is more for south-bound traffic bound for central France and the west coast. In some ways I think you could consider Portsmouth-Le Havre as competing with Newhaven-Dieppe more than it does with Portsmouth-Caen. (Which may be one reason why those two routes together did not sit well in the LD/DFDS network).

Exactly, Le Havre and Dieppe compete while Le Havre and Caen are not competing.

At the time of LD-DFDS, the route Dieppe - Newhaven was subsidized by the Seine-Maritime department. This is still the case today. This line is a structural deficit. Le Havre has never needed grants. Dieppe Newhaven is a drain on the taxpayer...

President of Brittany Ferries said it would develop Le Havre when Dieppe cease to be subsidized. If Brittany Ferries wanted to make a deal, it would create a line Le Havre - Newhaven to acknowledge the presence of DFDS,as they did at Le Havre in 2013.

So to develop Le Havre, Brittany Ferries could develop a triangular between Le Havre and Cherbourg Poole (with Etretat and Barfleur) ... or between Le Havre and Ireland with Pont Aven, Bretagne or Cap Finistère, last once a week.

Go to Ireland from Paris via Le Havre, this is more convenient than via Cherbourg or Roscoff.

Edited by LHCity

Well, Rosslare-Le Havre used to be the staple Irish Ferries (formerly ICL) route to France, but for some reason they decided that Cherbourg was the focus. In some ways it seems strange sailing to both Roscoff and Cherbourg, you'd think that they both serve north-west and west France well. For traffic heading further east, and to Paris, I can't for the life of me think why landing in Cherbourg is preferable to Le Havre, and apart from saving a bit of fuel I don't really understand why IF abandoned Le Havre. They get no additional use out of the tonnage, and saving a bit of fuel is no good if it ends up taking your passengers not to where they want to go. There may have been a harbour dues issue at play - I remember P&O giving excessive berthing charges at Le Havre as their primary reason for pulling the plug on the route.

In terms of BF offering additional routes to France from Ireland, I have often wondered what the scope was for that too. They did run a Cork - St Malo service for a couple of years back in the 90s, but it didn't last long and cannot have been a success. Not sure why.

With current schedules Brittany Ferries DFDS ex-LD, Etretat remaining 9 hours at dock in Le Havre. If BF remain so long to dock in Le Havre, it is likely that the shipping charge is reduced, compared to the time P & O?

Well, Rosslare-Le Havre used to be the staple Irish Ferries (formerly ICL) route to France, but for some reason they decided that Cherbourg was the focus. In some ways it seems strange sailing to both Roscoff and Cherbourg, you'd think that they both serve north-west and west France well. For traffic heading further east, and to Paris, I can't for the life of me think why landing in Cherbourg is preferable to Le Havre, and apart from saving a bit of fuel I don't really understand why IF abandoned Le Havre. They get no additional use out of the tonnage, and saving a bit of fuel is no good if it ends up taking your passengers not to where they want to go. There may have been a harbour dues issue at play - I remember P&O giving excessive berthing charges at Le Havre as their primary reason for pulling the plug on the route.

In terms of BF offering additional routes to France from Ireland, I have often wondered what the scope was for that too. They did run a Cork - St Malo service for a couple of years back in the 90s, but it didn't last long and cannot have been a success. Not sure why.

Irish customers have always looked for additional sailings as the one sailing a week is too inflexable- we would settle for another mid week sailing cork Roscoff.

Presently if you want to spend more than 5 days[& less than 2 weeks] in France you can only use BF oneway & either IF or Stena for the other. You regularily meet people on those ferries

bemoaning the fact that they cannot use BF both ways.