Sign in to follow this  
Tumnus2010

Plymouth to Roscoff

I'm sailing on this route early next month, first time out of Plymouth and also first time on the Pont. Have a couple of days down in Plymouth beforehand so would welcome any suggestions, likewise for the other side in Roscoff. We're coming back from St Malo so if there are any recommendations between the two french ports it would be good to know them. Already looking forward to lunch in Les Arbers on the return . Is le flora as good and open on pont on the Thursday evening sailings?

How can I help? Are you wanting suggestions for places to sleep in Plymouth and Roscoff, places to eat, or things to do? Several of us on here are locals and we ought to be able to come up with ideas.

But to start off the Le Flora restaurant on Pont Aven has always been open for my Thursday evening sailings from Plymouth.

How can I help? Are you wanting suggestions for places to sleep in Plymouth and Roscoff, places to eat, or things to do? Several of us on here are locals and we ought to be able to come up with ideas.

But to start off the Le Flora restaurant on Pont Aven has always been open for my Thursday evening sailings from Plymouth.

Places to eat in Plymouth would be great. We're staying at the Jurys Inn which I believe is reasonably central so anywhere within walking distance would be great.

Thanks!

Places to eat in Plymouth would be great. We're staying at the Jurys Inn which I believe is reasonably central so anywhere within walking distance would be great.

Thanks!

I recommend Revolutions at the bottom of Royal Parade on the roundabout.... 10 minute walk from Jurys. it is a recently renovated glitsy eatery and bar. Very reasonable food and always delicious! Other than that there are Rock Salt, and Salumi, nearby to the port, but a further walk and more expensive.

• Like 1

You can eat your way up and down the Barbican from fish and chips to finer dining. We alternate between the Barbican Kitchen above the Plymouth Gin Distillery at the landward end of Southside Street, and Quay33 which is at the seaward end. Reviews of both are on line.

The classic tourist boat ride in Plymouth is the one hour cruise across the foot of the Hoe and round the Dockyard. More ambitious if you have half a day is the little passenger ferry which runs every 90 minutes from the Mayflower steps across to Cawsand, then if you are fit and active it's a 3 or 4 mile walk back along the coastal footpath and through Mount Edgcumbe Park to Cremyll (or the hourly bus back to the same place) where you get another passenger ferry back across to the Plymouth side. There are pubs at either end.

• Like 1

On the Roscoff side, if you have a day to spare in Roscoff after arriving then a boat trip over to Ile De Batz is almost a must-do. Plenty of good placed to eat in Roscoff, one of our favourites is the Hotel Les Arcades just to the west of the little harbour. Great seafood and fabulous views out to sea, but not a place to go if you're watching the pennies. In between Roscoff and St Malo, the whole Cote Granit Rose and too many places to visit in a day. But Ploumanach, and the walk along the Granit Rose coast towards (but don't bother going as far as) Perros Guirec is unbeatable. Good seafood restaurant in Ploumanach (Restaurant Des Rochers). Lezardrieux and Paimpol are also well worth a visit.

As far as on board is concerned, La Flora is a league up from Les Abers in ambiance but the food is exactly the same. It is bound to be open because PA's Thursday departure from Plymouth is the only a la carte service on the route and is advertised as a gourmet cruise package. It's one of the key selling features of the crossing, so virtually no chance La Flora will not be open. If you like Les Abers you will love La Flora.

• Like 1

If you are looking for somewhere to eat in Plymouth, The Treasury, is good, its right by the Guildhall on Royal Parade but on the side of the Guildhall. Also the Barbican is very near and there are several pubs and restaurants down there. On the Roscoff side, just before you get to Roscoff, you can turn off to Carantec where there is a lovely restaurant on the square called Ty Briez, or go down to the beach where there are a couple of beach front restaurants which are really lovely.

My favourite restaurant in Plymouth is The Thai House on Notte Street. It is just under 10 minutes walk from the Jurys Inn. It is quite small but the food is excellent.

My favourite restaurant in Plymouth is The Thai House on Notte Street. It is just under 10 minutes walk from the Jurys Inn. It is quite small but the food is excellent.

It's Notte!?

Barbican Pasta Bar on the Barbican, Southside Street for Dinner. Cap'n Jaspers for breakfast rather than the Jury's Inn offerings. Both are the choice eateries of Janners. Parking at Jury's can be a flipping nightmare!!

Edited by Poopy

This place is ideal for a decent nosebag before going aboard. You can park in their free car park or leave your vehicle in the ferry lanes. Couldn't be more handily placed and is much better than the cafe in the ferry port at Plymouth. I heartily recommend the fish and chips!

• Like 1

This place is ideal for a decent nosebag before going aboard. You can park in their free car park or leave your vehicle in the ferry lanes. Couldn't be more handily placed and is much better than the cafe in the ferry port at Plymouth. I heartily recommend the fish and chips!

• Like 1

We sat and watched the Pont disembark from the balcony there with a very drunk incoherent South African man giving a running commentary , I would recommend it too.

We sat and watched the Pont disembark from the balcony there with a very drunk incoherent South African man giving a running commentary , I would recommend it too.

I walked along the road from Millbay entrance today and into Stonehouse Street for lunch at Rocksalt cafe/bar. That is a really cool,stylish place in most unpromisising surroundings. Try it.

I walked along the road from Millbay entrance today and into Stonehouse Street for lunch at Rocksalt cafe/bar. That is a really cool,stylish place in most unpromisising surroundings. Try it.