Sign in to follow this  
georgem7

Busiest routes out of the UK - where do BF lie?

I was wondering today about what the busiest routes out of the UK were? Obviously, Dover-Calais, Dover-Dunkirk and Holyhead-Dublin are amongst the busiest. How far down the list might we find the Portsmouth to Caen route ???

If you count Holyhead-Dublin from both operators as one route then I suspect Portsmouth-Caen will only be beaten by the 2 Dover routes, Holyhead-Dublin and the two North Channel routes from Cairnryan. Following close behind Caen I would expect to see Harwich-Hook.

That's if you're talking about passenger services. If you include the freight routes then Felixstowe-Vlardingen and Purfleet-Zeebrugge are also probably busier than Caen.

But those are all just my guesses - not based any of that on hard figures, just what seems logical.

Thanks for the responses. Some very interesting stats I see. The second busiest for BF after Caen is actually Roscoff/Plymouth, followed by St Malo.

But if you look at the 2003 statistics, woah! Dun Laoghaire, Cherbourg and Le Havre were all up there. Dunkirk not as popular back then.

I still cannot see why P&O closed their routes rather than find some cheaper tonnage but what do I know!

Me also,cannot understand there decision to axe the Spanish route.just look at bf routes to Spain now up to three to four ferries running there and a lot of the time fully booked.i used the p&o ferry a lot of the time and always thought they would replace pride of Bilbao,even talking to the crew even they thought it would be replaced.