Harmony of the Seas in Southampton - May

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oasis of the Seas new sister is due into Southampton at the end of May, she will be calling at Cherbourg. Would love a pic of her and Barfleur together!! Think it is 29th May?

http://www.iglucruise.com/harmony-of...y-2016_c101426

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-500-crew.html

It states cost to build was £800m, roughly $1.145bn, but Oasis cost $1.4bn and Allure $1.5bn. Why so much cheaper? Exchange rate or error?

Oasis of the Seas new sister is due into Southampton at the end of May, she will be calling at Cherbourg. Would love a pic of her and Barfleur together!! Think it is 29th May?

Brigitte, do you really think that's a good idea, your favourite ship being mistaken for Harmony's tender ?😆

Brigitte, do you really think that's a good idea, your favourite ship being mistaken for Harmony's tender ?😆

I guess she'd look something like that....😂 After seeing one of the Red Funnel car ferries alongside Oasis, reckon Barf would look a bit bigger by a smidgeon or two...

• 2 months later...

Ouch, these new cruise ships look more and more like barges with apartment blocks on top, not a pretty sight really. Essentially they are just floating resorts which cater for all requirements onboard without the need to get off which is just as well as they swamp most ports of call.

However, they do meet a need now that so many holiday areas of the world are now effectively off limits, either through the possibility of a terrorist attack or simply because the ruling regime has become obnoxious, Turkey for example.

Should be quite busy in Cherbourg if her payload is taking time ashore!! She is due, I think to leave half an hour before Barfleur so hoping to be up on deck watching. Hoping we don't get held up in customs as we board around the time she is meant to depart.

Today, 11:30

Ouch, these new cruise ships look more and more like barges with apartment blocks on top, not a pretty sight really. Essentially they are just floating resorts which cater for all requirements onboard without the need to get off which is just as well as they swamp most ports of call.

Agreed Cva.B, she looks to be one of the most impressive cruise shipe ever built, but at the same time has an indecency about her (size, layout, oversized opulence) that me

For all intents she is exactly the same vessel as the 7 year old Oasis of The Seas.

It's a very clever move by Royal Caribbean - they make each one of them marginally longer (I'm talking a couple of feet tops) then as a result they can bring out the whole 'we've built the largest cruise ship in the world' media hype every time they make a new one. They did the same with Allure a couple of years after Oasis, and they are doing the same with Harmony now. They will no doubt do the same with Oasis 4 which is currently under construction.

Oasis is 1,186.5 ft long

Harmony is 1,188.1 ft.

On attending the captains talk on Oasis a few years ago - he even stated that depending on the sea temperature, the steel in the hull will increase/decrease in size - so Oasis right now in the warm Caribbean waters may be larger than Harmony in the cold English channel. I'm not sure how true this is - or if it's a case of the captains having size envy!

I've done several cruises on 2000 passenger ships - and one on Oasis with 6000 passengers on board. Oasis and her sisters are extremely well laid out, I felt CONSIDERABLY more crammed on the 2000 passenger ships that I did on Oasis.

I know there is an (I think optional) coach trip to Mont St Michel. What happens with customs with that lot, I don't think it is compulsory that everyone leaves the ship anyway, but imagine there will be a fair amount wanting to go into town. What happens when passengers disembark/reboard, what procedures are there. Would imagine it being a customs nightmare over there.

I think it is better to see the cruise ships in Cherbourg as you can actually see them stretched out in front of you. In Southampton they glide by, them dock so only the stern is on view unless you are out on the water. Think Harmony will change the Cherbourg landscape a bit - she will I bet block out the view of the Cite De La Mer/cruise terminal. I just want to walk along the perimeter fence and see Normandie Express and the Harmony bow to bow. NEX arrives later, but wonder what it must be like to see from her one of these monsters edging in front of you.

Brigitte, it is entirely optional whether you go ashore or not. You can either do so on your own (except in Russia!) or as part of an organised excursion. No customs procedures are involved. When you initially board the ship you are given a personal identity card rather like a credit card, often with your photo on it. This is used as a charge card for anything you purchase on board and it is also used to 'swipe' you on and off the ship at the gangway. On returning to the ship you present your card and go through a security metal detector (like the ones at airports), you may also be asked to open any bags you are bringing aboard for inspection by the ship's security staff - and that's it.

Two years ago we did an Alaska cruise from Vancouver. Because the ship would be calling at US ports in Alaska, US Homeland Security put you through the immigration procedure in Vancouver before you are allowed to board the ship but when calling at Alaskan ports you just show your card on disembarking and embarking as I have described above. The ship's computer keeps a record of who gets off and on so they know which passengers have gone ashore and which ones have come back (and which ones have missed the ship - there are frequently one or two!). The ship also has your passport details of course.

The US is very strict on immigration, you also have to have an ESTA (electronic visa applied for online in advance of travel) before they will allow you into their country. Canada is also adopting an advanced travel authorisation but only for airline passenger arrivals, not ship or vehicle entry.

Not much difference to foot passengers then on ferries. Expect Cherbourg will be busy, I was planning on Cafe Du Port for food, but think it could be quite busy being on the quayside, as will most of the quayfront eateries. I'll get my tea and coffee in maccys/subway as usual....

Edited by Khaines