New cowes floating bridge

4 hours ago, PSUPete said:

I'm sure with the old bridge they had some additional chains that could be attached between the edge of the slipway and the upstream chain as the tide went down to prevent the ferry being dragged "out to sea".  Haven't seen any evidence of these in any of the photos of the new ferry.

Anyway, problem now solved by not running the ferry when it's low tide!

Pete.

They are trying that but the pull of the bridge drags the chains too far over before the tide has receded so unless one has a diving suit and even that won't work because the chains feed through the bridge .you could push the bridge back with a tug and do it but at a huge cost .the only solution is to shorten the chains ..but the will snag river traffic 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite surprised you got to the end of your post without it being suspended again 😄

Spotted laid up by the Gosport Ferry Terminal today    (Apologies for poor image quality )

Not too old at all, On BFE we are all juvenile trainspotter types. That's what the site is all about.

Posted Images

Just now, eagleeye said:

They are trying that but the pull of the bridge drags the chains too far over before the tide has receded so unless one has a diving suit and even that won't work because the chains feed through the bridge .you could push the bridge back with a tug and do it but at a huge cost .the only solution is to shorten the chains ..but the will snag river traffic 

Wondered if the river depth has changed or tides running faster ..as there is a new breakwater 

• 1 month later...

Oh dear. Not the only ones as I see the old Hovercrafts have been back in service and there was no sight nor sound of either "Flyer". They have run for over a year and still seem to be short of 100%.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scrap it would be the solution and bring back the old one until they build one fit for purpose. This is unbelievable that such a cock up could be made. Anyone holding their hands up saying "my bad, got the plans wrong" or "build incorrectly"? Its not like its rocket science building a floating bridge for slipway to slipway on chains. 

They may have modified things, but for what vessel, certainly not number 6. Its basic engineering that is failing here. I just watched the video of it trying to dock and the chains are fundamentally wrong to allow it to slip outside the docking line buoys.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...