Sign in to follow this  
Penlan

New route for BF? (April Fool!)

I was in the Fishguard ferry terminal yesterday and an insider told m they were in advanced discussions with BF over a new route to Roscoff and Rosslare from Fishguard. Apparently concerns over emissions mean they are looking for new routes for the Bretagne.

What sort of schedule have they in mind that includes Fishguard with both Rosslare and Roscoff, one wonders -- and with one ship? One also wonders what the attitude of both Stena Line and Irish Ferries will be to competition on the Rosslare route. Going south to Roscoff, of course, is rather different. Further some observers of the scene suspect there could be some links between Stena and BF! So if the latter go to Fishguard what could Stena be getting in return?

I assume this is not an April Fool's joke! After all BF was set up to link the Celtic nations and thus far their operations haven't included Wales and further there could be advantage in using Bretagne outside or largely outside the ECA as she's not to be fitted with scrubbers. Indeed I have heard on good authority that operators have been looking at Irish Sea ports from Spain as a way of by-passing the ECA.

This April Fool gag has rather backfired as far as I am concerned since it touches on matters of some importance. The problem with Irish Sea ports in relation to Spain is which one? Bristol would seem to have advantages but I don't think they have any ferry facilities but if they had had maybe BF would have preferred to send MN Pelican to Bristol from Bilbao rather than Poole so as not to enter the ECA.

I did indeed stat this as an Aprill fool BUT - there is a lot of sense in this.

Good ferry facilities with really easy access to the M4 can be found in Swansea.

Fishguard, my home town, would be a dream call. But I suspect someone would have to get their shovel out to make the berth big and deep enough to take the Bretagne or indeed any other larger, more modern ferry. There would also be serious issues over the road infrastructure which would really struggle.

Pembroke Dock is another option, access quite a lot better so long as you are coming from the East.

As I said, the original post was part April fool but also part wish list....

Rhys