Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Blu Mar Ferries start April

Tourists probably, what would the coastal scenery be like? Is it prettier than by train? Coming from Dorset - the scenery between Bournemouth and Weymouth by train is lovely, the areas around Poole Harbour, followed by the Dorset countryside are spectacular, but if you were to go via boat along the coast, it is even more so!! The Jurassic coast. What is the coast like between Barcelona and Sitges? Is it scenic or built up, what visual treats would tourists get?

Well , not a lot really ,its all cliffs or the N340 running along side the water , Castelldefells is ok on the land ,but at sea not much , then you see Hospital del Llobreegrat , its a bit like Newport by sea with its steel works , and then Barcelona , dont look above Zona Franco , all the glass doors in the rocks are where you can take a picnic and watch Auntie Doris in her burial chamber. if the new service overshoots Sitges it will get a good view of Dow Chemicals at Taragonna.

Just been looking on Street View Sitges looks pretty smart, nice looking houses. Definitely not slummy.

From what I can see on Google Earth, if you like quarries, cement works, marinas and beaches backed by holiday villas them this is the ferry for you. Oh, and you also get a great view of planes taking off from the airport. 17 euros well spent! Ed.

Back in 1992 we spent the summer based in Sitges and travelled regularly to Barcelona by train. The station is a little towards the back of town - although it's probably only 10 or 15 minutes walk from the front it's certainly away from the centre of things. Then arriving in Barcelona Sants, many/most tourists probably want to be heading towards Las Ramblas, the bottom of which is adjacent to the port area. The long and the short of it is that if you want to get from the front/beach area of Sitges and the most touristy area of Barcelona, this ferry operation is almost certainly faster and more convenient than taking the train. Is there enough demand for this service, five or six times a day? I do wonder, but presumably the market research indicates this is viable.

Trains from Sitges go to Barcelona Sants, Passeig de Gracia and Estacio de Franรงa, and there are connections to other lines, of course.

For the catamaran, there is a 15 minute check-in deadline, so that needs to be added to the journey time. The interval between sailings is two and a half hours, or more.

There have been so many unsuccessful fast ferry services over the years, and the promoters always claim to have planned and researched everything in advance. I can't think of many that have attempted to run a coastal service competing with a frequent, cheap train service.

ย 

I would definitely prefer boat over train any time. Until recently I thought Sitges was an island, didn't know it was part of the mainland serviced by regular trains. Took it for granted it was an island without checking, that was just me assuming. Thinking of sn example discussed here over time, a coastal service between Bournemouth/Poole and Southampton, when there are frequent trains and if it would be viable. Think boats need to offer that something extra that trains don't.

Edited by Khaines

Scoot served a different kind of route though. IOW and Pompey are hardly Barcelona and Sitges. In the summer season at least I reckon with all the party and carnival atmosphere over there, could be quite popular. Depends on the people behind the business - does anyone know anything about the owners of Blu Mar, we know of James F on here and there there is I assume plenty of knowledge about Scoot owners and such around here, but a new company in Spain? Has James moved over there, would he have thought it worth his while if it was likely to go the way Scoot did, with his experiences - doubt it. I think he would have been very careful who he decides to work with given his experience in the tourist industry. Does anyone here know the background of Blu Mar owners though to say?

Well, if it all goes belly up there will be a fast ferry going begging - wonder if condor would be interested...๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š

Well, if it all goes belly up there will be a fast ferry going begging - wonder if condor would be interested...๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

Not if they've learnt their lesson!

Who has learnt what lesson? I said that if from what is being said on this thread about that it might be another Scoot situation, then there will be a fast ferry going begging - and joking said that I wonder if Condor would be interested. Seeing as there have been a lot of hoohaa about a second ferry, although this one looks pax only.

ย 

What lessons have Blu Mar got to learn? None as far as I can see - they've only just started up...๐Ÿ˜ณ

Edited by Khaines

What lesson do Condor need to learn from Blue Mar going belly up if they do? I am just saying people want another fast ferry to supplement Lib so there would be one going begging - what lesson have Condor got to learn? crikey - nothing to do with liberation's issue if that is what you mean, Gareth, but people are saying there needs to be another vessel besides Lib, so there you go - are we singing from different hymn sheets, looks like it. Why would Condor need to learn a lesson if Blu Mar fail?

Edited by Khaines

I'm half pulling your leg Brigitte! I meant that if they had learnt from their mistake in purchasing Lib that they would realise their investment should not be going into more fast craft but rather ro-pax. But it was a throw-away line, not worth dwelling on too long! :)

On Bluemar Ferries' Facebook page are some comments from today's inaugural sailings. It seems people were seasick and even those who'd paid for return tickets went back by train.

Facebook feed often contains pics of the scenery, actually considering there is a lot of built up coastline it looks quite spectacular at night with all the lights and the reflections on the sea.

Seem to be doing pretty well - Harmony of the Seas will be based in Barcelona for the summer ad well, so plenty of custom off her as well.

Funny enough I was talking about this company yesterday as a friend's daughter is going to spend some time in Barcelona. I suggested she try and take a trip to Sitges with Blu Mar, so we went to look at their page and saw about the suspended thing. Doesn't appear to be permanent, just seems to be a breakdown of some kind, so hope will be sorted soon. Was talking to my friend about how the COO there was boss with Condor and Red Funnel, and a member here. They have been doing really well. All back to normal soon. Am keeping an eye on things...

I suspect that is the end of that. It was always something of a quixotic service and, if they still have the financial resources, moving their operation to Algeciras as mooted may be a better bet - although that is a cut-throat marketplace for a newborn, one-ship ferry company at least they can be certain the market exists.

Was looking on their Facebook page and post saying the service had been suspended was posted a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed as after the problems at Condor, looked like things were panning out well for James with Blu Mar. Hope it all gets sorted soon, didn't know anything about this until I went to show my friend their website, so came rather as a surprise. Having said that, I follow their page on Facebook and probably missed that. Just a case of wait and see.

Was looking on their Facebook page and post saying the service had been suspended was posted a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed as after the problems at Condor, looked like things were panning out well for James with Blu Mar. Hope it all gets sorted soon, didn't know anything about this until I went to show my friend their website, so came rather as a surprise. Having said that, I follow their page on Facebook and probably missed that. Just a case of wait and see.

ย 

According to James' linked in page he left there in July and is now a council member with RNLI