We were in 8409 early August in a relatively calm sea, the vibrations were so bad that we couldn't actually sleep, even the television was shaking too much to view! When the stewardess brought our breakfast in I questioned her about the problem. She told me that the vibration was being caused by the scrubbers not working correctly and, amusingly, told me that they were 'shit!' She said there had been 'many complaints'.

Strangely we noticed no vibration as we sailed North through Biscay during the day, but only after we had returned to our cabin at around 23.30.hrs.

As for fumes, we had a chain smoker on the next balcony during our outbound voyage. His foul smoke filled our cabin every time we opened our door! After these recent experiences I won't be wasting £322 on a balcony cabin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently not on deck or on private balconies, as I was told when I complained to customer services about our recent experience. They need to make this point clear when booking a Commodore cabin on Pont Aven as I'm sure that we were not the first people to have suffered this problem.

Wi- fi permitting I will tell you all when we reach Roscoff on Friday morning - but being a poor old pensioner with an inside cabin without windows I won't be able to advise the Commodore classes. Sorry

We had 6296 a 4 berth inside last Thursday and it was ok not any different from previous sailings on her in similar cabins.

Just to update: We spent a very nice night on the Pont. Balcony sliding door was open all night and no fumes in evidence. There was noticeable vibration but not sure if this was anything out of the ordinary or not. Would have to compare with a head on a pillow further for'ard and on a lower deck.

One thing: as we left Plymouth we noticed on the TV monitoring course display that the ship headed almost due west about 240 degrees until off the Lizard at about midnight. She then altered coarse to the SW, crossing the shipping lanes before going 180 into Roscoff. While there was a bit of a sea, it was nothing too dramatic and the forecast was only 5-6 S-SW...So why the big deviation? I can only imagine it was to give the ship a bit of lee before turning for Roscoff. Never experienced this before...Any suggestions?

Edited by KenTownley

It was to kill time. Pont's Thursday night sailing to Roscoff is scheduled to take almost 12 hours, so double the normal time. Once you take off the hour at start and end getting in and out of port, that's about three times the normal time for the open sea passage. So she does one of three things to kill time, depending on what captain thinks will be most comfortable for passengers. Potter across at about 8 knots, cross over and then potter around on the French side until it's time to dock, or potter around for a bit on the English side then cross over.

The first of those uses least fuel but is not that comfortable for passengers if there is any kind of swell running (stabilisers do not work very effectively at ultra-low speeds). So if there is any weather it will be the second or third option, depending on wind direction. In the case of last night looks like they took the third option. Last time I took this sailing that was what they did as well, although in my case they sailed east along the coast towards Salcombe.

Edited by Gareth