Sign in to follow this  
Flossie

Normandie Incident - Mon 11th April 2016

Sorry if unclear on what we have been offered . It was a partial refund plus travel voucher, as indicated below:

'Although our staff did their best under difficult circumstances, this was a dynamic and fluid situation and our priority throughout was to assure the wellbeing and safety of everyone on board. I hope that the offer of complimentary dinner and breakfast on board went some way to making this situation more comfortable for you.

Under Passenger Rights you are entitled to claim for a 50% refund of the affected leg for delayed arrival; this will be automatically processed by our Accounts Department via method of payment.

As a gesture of goodwill, we will also be sending you a travel voucher for 50% of the value of the affected sailing. This voucher is valid for 2 years and will be sent to you under separate cover.'

DdeN - sounds a very fair offer to me. Incidents and accidents do happen in all walks of life. I think their handling and offers are acceptable. We live in a fault finding litiginous society, often we expect too much and place blame too readily.

I'm pleased to read in an earlier post that the injured parties are progressing.

• Like 1

Travel vouchers are OK up to a point, but not necessarily appropriate for some travellers. For example, in our case our passports expire in 2017 and, with me nearly 81 and SWMBO not far behind, renewal of our passports is debatable, and in flux at the moment.

Sorry if unclear on what we have been offered . It was a partial refund plus travel voucher, as indicated below:

'Although our staff did their best under difficult circumstances, this was a dynamic and fluid situation and our priority throughout was to assure the wellbeing and safety of everyone on board. I hope that the offer of complimentary dinner and breakfast on board went some way to making this situation more comfortable for you.

Under Passenger Rights you are entitled to claim for a 50% refund of the affected leg for delayed arrival; this will be automatically processed by our Accounts Department via method of payment.

As a gesture of goodwill, we will also be sending you a travel voucher for 50% of the value of the affected sailing. This voucher is valid for 2 years and will be sent to you under separate cover.'

That sounds right. I'm glad they are giving you the refund automatically as you are supposed to claim for it (as explained in their message) and many people don't make the effort or are unaware of their rights. Hopefully the voucher will allow you to have another trip and forget the experience of last Monday, but check whether it is nominative as you might be able to exchange it with somebody for its cash value if you do not think you will be able to use it before the expiry date (I bought one in a charity sale on eBay a few years ago for restaurant meals and there was no name on it). Ed.

Normandie now back on Cherbourg 4 (after a little sea trial) ready to load for tonight's sailing to Portsmouth. Then all being well, back to normal operations tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

I was caught up in this. Mine was the first return sailing back to the UK that was cancelled. Right bummer and made me realise just how lovely BF ships, staff, décor and food are as I had to travel back via Calais. Blurgh!

I was notified via text on the 11th around 2000hrs.

Sad to hear about the crew which I knew about the very next day and BF were quick to respond to me once I was back in the UK, so, other than having to endure the Spirit of France, all was in hand.

Edited by SimonP