Sign in to follow this  
nodwad

Car heights on baie de seine

I have booked a dog friendly cabin on this ferry,I know the height restriction for any vehicle is 1.83 because if you have pets you are put onto a different section.which I thought was ok .yet when I dragged my roof box out today and put the tape measure on it was over the height restriction.i only have a Kia ceed and the roof box is not a large one either so if people have not checked there travel documents they may have had a problem in the past.any info would be helpful.thx

Father Jim once added a roofbox on to the top of his (mid-life crisis) vehicle which took it over the 1.83m... he was charged an additional fare at check-in. It's worth noting on a full sailing that if you're over the height you've booked there is always the possibility that there might not be space available for your new taller configuration - so always best to check and advise BF of any changes.

I think bf warns all pet owners,not to exceed the 1.83 height due to where your car is going to be parked.trailers and motor homes are included in this exclusion.

My Seat Toledo is around 2m with roof box. It has lowered suspension from new as a sport model so I imagine being 2.05 on normal suspension.

I've only sailed on armorique with it fitted and find it frustrating paying for extra height when the lowest clearance on armorique is 3m.

bf says anyone with a pet friendly cabin,cannot do so if height exceeds the 1.83. I think it is down to where they put you if you have booked this type of cabin.just wondering anyone who had a pet friendly cabin on this ferry.

We have used the BdS on two occasions. On both crossings we were loaded via the ramp up to deck 6 and then parked in the area that is inside the superstructure. The majority of cars were turned around to face the stern. Above the parking area is a mezzanine level but it was not in use when we crossed. I guess if they needed to use the mezzanine area it would be lowered in, which would reduce the headroom below. Maybe the headroom issue is to do with the ramp but I am not sure why. I seem to think this is not an issue on the Etretat. I think talking to BF about this would be a good move as getting turned away at the port is not very helpful, especially with a dog.

I got a reply off Brittany ferries customer services today.the answer they give is,because dogs are not allowed in public areas , for this reasons people with pet friendly cabins have to be parked in a area where there is a height restriction in place ie 1.83.and this parking area is close to the lift for deck 9 where the pet friendly cabins are.

Ah yes the lower garage decks are not served by the lift which they use to get the dogs up to deck 9 where the dog friendly cabins are. I am 6feet 2ins and did not notice a height problem, maybe as said I previously it is connected with the mezzanine level above. If all this is a major problem you could solve it by altering your booking to the Etretat.

Bit off topic, but I love the BDS. BF could do with another couple, especially at the moment I reckon! Incidental;ly, did anyone ever hear any follow up on her scrubber issues, and the reports they don't work? Looking at the size of them and the neatness of installation into the existing infrastructure compared to BF's latest projects, it is hardly wonder they dont do anything!! Thing is, is anyone actually policing this yet? I know its a huge hassle and has to be done, but I get the impression that is more for the "face" of the company or reputation. Does the MCA actually stick a measuring rod down the funnel and track on GPS where they start buring different fuels? I cannot help think they do not or will not any time soon. How many other countless operators of freight and foreign vessels are blatantly operating outside of the rules at the moment and not caring? If BDS scrubber technology isn't working, who has checked it, or proved it? Are they burning diesel instead? Will the MCA understand if it was not our fault and give us a longer period of grace to sort it. Lots of questions I know, but just my thoughts!

Edited by hf_uk

Not having a dog, this does not affect us. But, in the process of introducing dog-friendly cabins, why would BF take the view that only owners of vehicles with a maximum height of 1.83M would wish to take advantage of this facility?

I wasn't concerned with our bike rack bolted onto the rear doors until the bike handle bars projected over the roof so I spoke to BF on the off chance there may be an issue, they assured me that as long as the height isn't greater than the fixed TV aerial it was ok. I've notice on many occasions how those with roof mounted cycles are switched lanes during marshalling, some of them certainly double the height of a car so in effect must fill a van space. The same applies to roof racks & boxes.

Travelling to St Malo last year a English couple in a van conversion were refused embarkation because they said they didn't have a cycle rack, they did, with a large Ultrastore box bolted to it, they argued that it wasn't a cycle rack and that the online booking engine didn't state back box! Oh dear...

HF if a ship has scrubbers she doesn't burn different fuels, she sticks to HFO, it's why they have the scrubbers fitted. Those which run on standard ULSD like a car, just run the gases through a DPF.

Edited by jonno

Bit off topic, but I love the BDS. BF could do with another couple, especially at the moment I reckon! Incidental;ly, did anyone ever hear any follow up on her scrubber issues, and the reports they don't work? Looking at the size of them and the neatness of installation into the existing infrastructure compared to BF's latest projects, it is hardly wonder they dont do anything!! Thing is, is anyone actually policing this yet? I know its a huge hassle and has to be done, but I get the impression that is more for the "face" of the company or reputation. Does the MCA actually stick a measuring rod down the funnel and track on GPS where they start buring different fuels? I cannot help think they do not or will not any time soon. How many other countless operators of freight and foreign vessels are blatantly operating outside of the rules at the moment and not caring? If BDS scrubber technology isn't working, who has checked it, or proved it? Are they burning diesel instead? Will the MCA understand if it was not our fault and give us a longer period of grace to sort it. Lots of questions I know, but just my thoughts!

I had an email in October time, from Peder Gellert at DFDS, I questioned the scrubbers on BDS, and he said that the scrubbers were never fit for purpose and are due to be dismantled during the next dry docking period.

As I said before,dogs are not allowed into public spaces,so people with dogs have to go to a area near the lift,but then the problem is the height restriction mind you it does tell you this when you book ,not a big problem just have to leave box behind at home.

As I said before,dogs are not allowed into public spaces,so people with dogs have to go to a area near the lift,but then the problem is the height restriction mind you it does tell you this when you book ,not a big problem just have to leave box behind at home.

Or dog! ;)

Don't think that helps does it?!

OK so we have suggested leaving the box behind, then the dog, then you. All of which have been ruled out. Have we not overlooked one other solution? Ed.

I had an email in October time, from Peder Gellert at DFDS, I questioned the scrubbers on BDS, and he said that the scrubbers were never fit for purpose and are due to be dismantled during the next dry docking period.

Thanks Danish Ferry Person, very interesting. I wonder what the re-design will look like, as surely it will be within the BF charter period. There is a lot of room back there though, can't be too bad (citation needed* DFDS Sirena Seaways excepted) :)

Thanks Danish Ferry Person, very interesting. I wonder what the re-design will look like, as surely it will be within the BF charter period. There is a lot of room back there though, can't be too bad (citation needed* DFDS Sirena Seaways excepted) :)

I'm not sure if scrubbers will be re retro fitted. DFDS may just pay BF compensation so they can pay for the new fuel.

So dogs aren't allowed in public areas, but the inside cabins on deck 9 are not pet friendly cabins, so that means that to get to the pet friendly cabins, the dogs need to be in a "public" area...

When we were last on BdS we were loaded fairly early on and all the dog owners cars were put together. Other cars were then added to the side and rear to fill the space up.

We were asked to make sure the dog was muzzled and a group of 4/5 were placed in the lift and sent up to deck 9. On a previous crossing none dog owning passengers travelled in the lift with us. Lapper is correct in that the dog friendly cabins are only outside ones but on both sides of the ship and the inside cabins in the same area are for general use. Trips to the exercise involve passing these cabins. On arrival we were told to wait until a member of the crew arrived to take us down to the car deck. This did not happen as we had a further announcement that we could go down to the garage. I have to say it did seem to work quite despite some of the instructions being contrary to what actually happened. I have given the topic some thought and I am pretty sure that loaded with us last crossing were a number of Transit type vans one was definitely sign written so quite what the problem with the height is I am really not sure.

Last year I asked on the forum why there was a height restriction on people who had pet friendly cabanas on the bds I then contacted customer services who informed me the height restriction was in place because people with pets where parked in a area with height restriction.so I thought so be it its one of them things.yet when I got on board the bds I was parked like most of other people who had pets in in the covered area.plenty of head room and there was transit vans four wheel drive cars with roof racks on parked with us with pets,who had being told prior we where not allowed a roof box and would be refused boarding if I had one on top of car.saying the least I have kept quiet about it but it is coming up for our next trip on the bds.so just wondering if the same rules apply?