Sign in to follow this  
bowlerreg

Norman Atlantic

Apparently she could possibly have her hull re-used on a new vessel as it is undamaged. From a very good source.

Edited by Khaines

Apparently she could possibly have her hull re-used on a new vessel as it is undamaged. From a very good source.

Sounds interesting , probably not that complicated a job and saves on steel

Sounds interesting , probably not that complicated a job and saves on steel

I asked about it on Facebook and heard that from someone who was in a managerial position in LD.

Quoted - hopefully this quote is allowed and ok to use.

"I personally think she will surely end up at a scrapyard but given her owner (Visemar/Carlo Visentini) is basically the Visentini shipyard, don't rule out her (undamaged) hull being re-used for a new vessel"

Edited by Khaines

Yes, ships have been rebuilt in the past from being wrecked. Best example from fire damage is probably Sally Albatross (ex Viking Saga), completely re-built and now operating as Celestyal Crystal. Then of course there was European Gateway. Not specifically fire damage, but a good example of the principle you are asking about. I'm sure there are others (Herald of Free Enterprise is widely rumoured about but nothing concrete uncovered relating to that what would be conspiracy theory of the century!)

Thanks, Gareth. Just have to see what happens to her - I am wondering if she will be dismantled where she is, or towed to a scrapyard. If her owners want part of her saved then possibly she will go to Visentini shipyard, where they cann do what they see fit with her. One of those wait and see things, I guess.🙂

There was also Scandinavian Star which was laid up in Southampton under the name "Candi" for some time before going off to be converted into a roro ship, I believe. I thought Herald of Free Enterprise was scrapped on the insistance of P&O's Jeffrey Stirling who didn't want the vessel rebuilt and returned to trade. I've never heard of any conspiracy theory but surely it couldn't involve P&O -- they'd only just taken over Townsend Thoresen!

No, the theories are nothing to do with P&O or TT. The rumours (been discussed on the DFE board) were that when she got to Taiwan she was never actually scrapped but instead turned into some sort of sea-going barge. But no further details or proof have been forthcoming.

Indeed. That's the last the western world knew of her. It is confirmed that she arrived in Kaohsiung. And always assumed that she was indeed scrapped. But after arrival in Kaohsiung the evidence dries up and strong rumours began to emerge from the area a year or two ago that what actually happened to her may not have been what was supposed to have.

Edited by Gareth

Indeed it was Sorrento. She is being broken up at Aliaga, Turkey.

I follow a chap on Instagram who's name evades me but is well known on the Dover forums, who is in the aliaga area and post photos of ships being dismantled so see the stages of breaking. Sorrento is one of his latest subjects

His photographs are fantastic. Kind of helps us lay our beloved ships of yesteryear to rest. Shame we do not have access to a similar documentation of the activities at Alang.