Sign in to follow this  
Lalli

Quickest route from Roscoff to Perigueux

We are off to Perigueux in June and last time went via St Brieuc and then, I think it was, the N12 but would it not be quicker to go as far as Quimper and then down the N165? I think the satnav sent us on the N12. Anyway, I would just appreciate it if anyone had any tips. Thanks.

It would be quicker from St Malo by more than an hour and over 100km less, straight down the N137... From Roscoff, you're best sticking to the A10 & N12, the shortest route isn't necessarily the quickest.

When I first started going down to the Deux Sevres department about 12 years ago I would cut across country to get onto the N165 to get to Nantes, but soon realised that the N12 Morlaix-Rennes route was quicker. However, as Jonno says, coming down from St Malo would cut a fair bit of the journey.

It would be quicker from St Malo by more than an hour and over 100km less, straight down the N137... From Roscoff, you're best sticking to the A10 & N12, the shortest route isn't necessarily the quickest.

Depends where you start from this side, if you are close to Plymouth it's better to do the driving in France rather than extra 100ml plus getting to Portsmouth.

Depends where you start from this side, if you are close to Plymouth it's better to do the driving in France rather than extra 100ml plus getting to Portsmouth.

That's very true...

Thanks for your help, as we live in Plymouth, St Malo would be out of the question but we will take your advice on the Morlaix to Rennes route.

• Like 1

Morlaix to Rennes can get a little slow going past St Brieuc, and also the Rennes bypass, but otherwise, it's a fairly good road.

Thanks for your help, as we live in Plymouth, St Malo would be out of the question but we will take your advice on the Morlaix to Rennes route.

It's a pity BF don't run the Plymouth to St Malo service more regularly throughout they year as that would be a big help in such cases, cutting off two sides of the triangle.

Does anybody know the rational behind the planning for that route? is it to allow people from the west country a shorter route to the alps for skiing in the winter or just for positioning reasons? Ed

It's not a route that is provided with the customer in mind. They only run it in winter because it enables them to cover Portsmouth-St Malo and Plymouth-Roscoff with one ship.

Morlaix to Rennes can get a little slow going past St Brieuc, and also the Rennes bypass, but otherwise, it's a fairly good road.

AS the ply-ros ferries dock around 8am, traffic should be ok around Saint-Brieuc and Rennes. Rennes and Nantes ring roads should be avoided between 3pm and 7pm especially on Fridays.

AS the ply-ros ferries dock around 8am, traffic should be ok around Saint-Brieuc and Rennes. Rennes and Nantes ring roads should be avoided between 3pm and 7pm especially on Fridays.

I always got the overnight from Plymouth, then travelled down from first thing in the morning. Generally found the traffic heavier, but moving, going past St Brieuc.

I always got the overnight from Plymouth, then travelled down from first thing in the morning. Generally found the traffic heavier, but moving, going past St Brieuc.

Regarding travelling around Saint-Brieuc and Rennes, the speed limits have been lowered and extended. It is now limited to 90kph from the junction for Binic to Yffiniac. The Rennes ring road is now limited to 70 kph on the stretch between the N12 and the N137 to Nantes. So beware of the speed cameras.

Well we are catching the Friday overnighter from Plymouth so, hopefully, it should be easy going in the morning at least. What about just driving to Quimper from Roscoff and going down the coast road over the St Nazaire bridge? Thats the way we went last time I believe. Then joining the N10 at Niort, or is that going a bit around the houses? Its certainly a more direct route.