Normandie for a newbie

Hi, I've been travelling on CF and PA for a number of years, but am trying a trip to France this year.I've booked on to the Normanie for the night crossing from Portsmouth to Caen. Anything I need to know?!

Travelling with my wife and two children...

Thanks

We have travelled overnight Portsmouth to Caen for many years on Normandie and the most important thing to understand is that you arrive at around 06:30 French time and we have found that most of France doesn't open until 09:00. Maybe some of the other forum members can recommend somewhere that is open for breakfast as we always have breakfast on the Normandie but you have to be up quite early to have time for breakfast.

When leaving Portsmouth try and catch the spinnaker tower, if it is dark it is a wonderful sight and there are usually a few Royal Navy boats moored up somewhere in the port, I understand the Americas Cup is coming to town so you might catch some of that as well.

My final word of advise is that I hope you get a crossing with no school trips on board, there have been plenty on other posts, so enough said.

Enjoy your crossing on Normandie, she is a grand lady of the Western Channel, handles rough weather very well and doesn't look or act her age.

As a foot passenger who travelled on the Mont and arrived in Ouistreham at 6.30 French time, I took a walk along the beach, it is just beautiful that time of the morning, and then I walked into town, think some places open quite early. Possibly along Riva Bella?

Thanks for all your help!

I like outside cabins, as it gives us something to look at.

Sounds like my plan will be to disembark, go to Pegasus, along the beaches to Arromanches, and stop at the first decent looking place for breakfast!

• Like 1

Depending on the time you have spare and the ages of the children on a fine day do not ignore the superb beach at Ouistreham. An early morning post arrival walk along to say Lion sur Mer or even as far as Luc for breakfast is a most enjoyable way of spending a few hours and both Riva Bella, where there are a couple of good bakers, and the old town of Ouistreham a few hundred yards away are both charming.

• 2 weeks later...