Pont Aven prop shaft.

Hi all, forgot all my logins, even my name it's been so long .. sorry.... just noticed that the PA has a prop shaft problem and a few sailings have been cancelled .... just wondering if BF have any contingency plans in place .. ie .. my sailing from Cork is only weekly ( Saturday) ... what happens if that is cancelled, say in July ... is the PA replaced by another ship or what happens .... thanks.

Hi all, forgot all my logins, even my name it's been so long .. sorry.... just noticed that the PA has a prop shaft problem and a few sailings have been cancelled .... just wondering if BF have any contingency plans in place .. ie .. my sailing from Cork is only weekly ( Saturday) ... what happens if that is cancelled, say in July ... is the PA replaced by another ship or what happens .... thanks.

I use the Irish service several times a year & have been using it for over 20 years - My sailings has been cancelled twice & all I can tell you is that they don't have any spare capacity to put on extra ships. They expect you to utilise Irish Ferries or Stena instead . I thought when it happened that they would make arrangements with either company for me but no they expect the Customer to do it themselves. I then had to fight with them to get some compensation for the extra cost involved

As Brigitte said, this is already being discussed at length in the Sailing Updates thread, so don't want to add to this one particularly, but just to consider that last point for a moment. I doubt that in terms of cashflow this is costing BF much at all as I'm sure their losses on the cancellations will be covered by insurance. Where it is undoubtedly true that this saga will be costing them a fortune though is on customer loyalty and reputation for reliability. Those things are priceless and matter far more than any lost cash. As has been said in the other thread, the token nature of the Cork service, and the failure to provide any cover for that service, has exposed it for the vulnerable option that it is under the current priority structure. Scores of customers who have been affected by those cancellations, and the failure of BF to provide any backup operation, will not come back to BF in a hurry.