Sign in to follow this  
georgem7

Most memorable crossing...

Thought of a topic for people to share...

What has been you most memorable crossing with Brittany Ferries?

For me, I really enjoyed my first crossing to St Malo in 2011, it was also my first trip on Bretagne. I also enjoyed coming home from Santander a few years ago.

What about everyone else?

Edited by georgem7

You have a good point, the problem is that I've been so many times on a variety of different ferries. But if I had to choose one, it would be the former.

Many years ago when I locked myself in the toilet in the cabin and couldn't unlock it. Parents had to get ship's engineer to come and take off the door!! Can't remember the ship (perhaps either Quiberon or Val)

Edited by sness

A very good night on the Bretagne to St. Malo, busy but not packed, great crowd, great meal in the restaurant, noisy, good natured sing along in the piano bar til around midnight, followed by a shared group jackpot (probably £100 in those days) on one of the fruit machines. Seems a while ago now.....

• Like 1

Not sure if this counts, but Barfleur as Deal Seaways in Dover, and popping over to Calais on her. So glad to see her again, and it was helped by the fact I had only found out thr night before we were getting her back. Will always remmber my trip on Mont and the lovely sunrise followed by a beach full of birdsong.

Pity Calais has it's problems at the moment, would love to go back for a couple of days and spend more time in the town.

Edited by Khaines

Ouisterham to Portsmouth on Normandie, summer 1997. Slept on deck on a sun lounger up near the funnel under the stars in my sleeping bag. Beautiful night. Better than any cabin!

Funnily enough my most memorable BF crossing would aslo be Bretagne on a Portdmouth ST Malo circa July 1995.

It was memorable for many reasons. Having only previously travelled on Le Quiberon and Duchesse Anne, in that era to travel on Bretagne felt like a huge upgrade.

Other memorable factors were the fact it was my first overnight crossing, passing out of Portsmouth was also quite interesting passing the Royal Navy ships and other vessels (Pride of Bilbao, Duc de Normandie, Pride of Cherbourg from what I recall) and also passing through the Channel Islands

And that was my most memorable crossing with Brittany Ferries.

Pont Aven, Santander mini cruise November 2014 - went with a friend from work. We seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time eating. We won the quiz on the way out, and were second on the way back. Discovered the magic healing properties of the self-service fruit salad. Heard Guns n' Roses covered in the "lounge" style by the entertainment. Played "spot the pharmacy" in Santander (there really is a lot of them). Dos cervezas por favor. Bueno!

Had to be the first time on the Bretagne in 1992. She really was the epitome of modernity back then. It really was like stepping onto some futuristic floating spaceship instead of a ferry. It was like no ship I had ever seen or been on before - sleek exterior, art filled public atriums, phones in standard cabins - it was amazing.

Most memorable would have to be my Portsmouth to Bilbao on the Cap F on 23rd December 2014.. We set sail late from Portsmouth due to bad weather, arrived late in Roscoff for staff change late again, then set sail for Bilbao.... about two hours into the sailing whist sitting in a lounge one could see the sea higher than the port windows on either side on the 7th floor!! Not being deterred by this i went to book a table for supper in the Restaurant only to be met by staff franticly putting away all glasses and cutlery, this was on Captains orders as we were heading into a bad storm, so no booking for supper were being taken at this point. Shortly after there was an announcement by the Captain for all passengers to return to their cabins as he was going to attempt to turn the ship around as it was impossible to sail any further due to what was now Storm force weather - the danger was that the ship would roll!!! We returned to our pet friendly cabin and sat with our Labrador in deathly silence - watching our dog slide from porthole to cabin door without standing up!! The silence and fear was deafening as we awaited further instructions. The turn around was a success however we could not sail back either so we had to take shelter in a cove on the side of France where we would be safe for the night. After a short period of time when had started breathing again we ventured out into the upper decks reception area where we found total carnage of office papers scattered everywhere and soaked carpets where the sea had managed to flood in, what a mess it was.. But the staff were amazing, as if nothing had happened - the restaurant re opened to those who still had an appetite, the wine and food was flowing .. the flashing lights over the ship were a bit worrying as we looked out of our porthole, but were calmly told that it was a helicopter landing to collect a poor chap who had broken his collar bone - an hour later the flashing lights started again this time it was another helicopter as the first one was too small due to the size of the patient - sorry passenger but we did chuckle to ourselves!! Later that evening the captain announced that over the night he would make his decision as to head for Bilbao or return to Brest.... The next morning the boat was moving - arh! Bilbao we thought!! Alas no, we were heading back to Brest where we all had to disembark and make our journey from there to wherever....We were heading to Portugal towing a large car along with our Christmas Fair this was now Christmas Eve afternoon.....We made it to San Sebastian very late Christmas Eve where we slept in the car -- we awoke on Christmas Day with a long haul through Spain down to Portugal - We opened our box of Christmas crackers, wore our paper hats and ate mince pies and set off home - we were almost the only people on the road, the sun shone and for most of way and we sang Christmas carols to put us in the mood - We arrived home in time for Downton Abbey and a half a pint of Baileys on ice!!!!! Looking back it was very memorable indeed!!!

• Like 5

1992, Armorique day sailing to St Malo.  Very rough.  My brother was violently sick over the chair in our cabin, so we dragged it down the corridor and swapped it with one from an empty cabin!!

Edited by Drake

Well turning a ship round in heavy seas is always a dangerous thing to try to do.  Masters usually do all they can to avoid their ship getting beam-to-sea as that is when a ship is in danger of rolling over.  Much safer and more comfortable to try to keep the sea around 20 degrees off the bow.  The circumstances under which the master of CF would have contemplated this manoeuvre are difficult to imagine.

As far as the sensation of seas appearing higher than the ship when looking out of the window is concerned, no that is nothing out of the ordinary.  It is a quite normal sensation as the ship rises and falls in the swell.

Sea states often appear far scarier to passengers, particularly those not used to adverse conditions at sea, than they really are to the safety of the vessel.  It is a well-known truism in yachting circles that severe conditions will break the personnel on board long before they pose any risk to the vessel itself.

1999, the last Portsmouth-St Malo sailing before Christmas - car full of English Christmas dinner goodies for my friends.  Sat in the bar and got very happy watching the BF staff show!

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your reply.

could it not be argued the captain should have known better prior to setting off?

weather forecasts, other ships notifying of conditions, and all the other mod coms on the bridge?