Andy

Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

1 hour ago, jonno said:

At €800 one way for her balcony suites in April I hope she does have a decent interior...

Your own butler on call as well, I’ve no doubt they will sell out personally I wouldn’t pay that much unless it was a much longer crossing.

I booked a Cherbourg Dublin return for mid April. I only booked a 2 berth outside cabin each way. The total cost exceeds 420 euros. I hope it will be as enjoyable as sailing with Oscar Wilde. No signs of Roscoff Rosslare sailings yet in the booking engine. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up with the current timetable all year round. If not they may schedule a few sailings to Roscoff to save time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Your own butler on call as well, I’ve no doubt they will sell out personally I wouldn’t pay that much unless it was a much longer crossing.

There's only a handful of them, certainly not as many as PA's commodore cabins... which is essentially all they are albeit updated.

I wouldn't pay that regardless of the length of the crossing especially as your own fare and that of your vehicle is on top of that. P&O's Club suites are brand new and are a fraction of the cost ( we paid £173) plus you get a bath tub in one of them and a separate loo. Stena's Captain suites are equally affordable (£190) and are twice the size. 

WBY's four berth outside Club cabins aren't as equipped as BF's, you still have to go hunting for a cuppa, and are twice the price. 2 berths are too small, I'll end up in the shop biting all the heads of the jelly babies and eating toblerone sideways.

We had a crossing booked from Cherbourg which was refunded together with the Holyhead leg. I'm not bothering to re-book especially as it was all just for the experience. Neither of us are strangers when it comes to spending a wedge or two but these prices feel more like a rip off... I'll be giving I.F a lot of sea room I think.

I forked out €750 for a suite on Bergensfjord from Hirtshals to Bergen and back plus a hotel stay by the Bryggen instead.

21 minutes ago, Raik said:

Rumour has it she is to be sold.

In that case she'll make a nice purchase for someone I would have thought, two owners from new and well suited to a longer overnight route. I guess the likelihood is she will end up in the Mediterranean.

40 minutes ago, Raik said:

Rumour has it she is to be sold.

Which backs up the post I've just put on the Sailings update thread, or at least why I'm worried. Irish Ferries are committed to 30 sailings into Roscoff per season, and only a few weeks ago we heard through the harbour master here this had been added to which was great news. Last week he told us the extra sailings had just as quickly been pulled and nobody quite knows what's going on. 

It doesn't make any sense to me. Keeping Oscar Wilde for a short summer 3 month season can't make financial sense, Selling her and not finding a suitable replacement (please not another Vicentini) would open the door for another operator like Stena, that's the last thing Irish Ferries need. As I mentioned I've heard there is a significant corporate announcement coming from Dublin any day so it's watch and wait....:S

Chris

• Sad 1

Sounding ominous, Chris, isn’t it?  The only sailings currently available to book next year on the IF site between Ireland and France are WBY sailings between Dublin and Cherbourg.

Not good news for Roscoff that's for sure, in fact that's probably the understatement of the decade.....:S

However we were all resigned to IF moving away from Rosslare; it's an ageing, rundown mess of a port that's been declining for years and suffered from serious lack of investment.

I have no concrete news that the Oscar Wilde has been sold, and although we're delivering to her on Thurdsay I'm sure the crew wouldn't know either because the company are keeping things extremely close to their chests at the moment. I still can't see IF willingly give up 30 lucrative slots into Roscoff so if it's not from Rosslare we could think out of the box and consider another port(s). I have my own ideas on this but can't say anything just yet.

Chris

I did read online someone was told by a very reliable source that they had agreed a sale for Oscar Wilde, I’m sure time will tell though.

I have a feeling you might be correct there Neil but we're still waiting for the full story to unravel...

If that is the case the parent company ICG are very clever at buying and selling vessels and assuming they got a great offer for her there's nothing to stop them chartering something slightly smaller (and far less costly to operate)

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Not good news for Roscoff that's for sure, in fact that's probably the understatement of the decade

It's not great news for Rosslare either.  Irish hauliers were quick out the gate yesterday, questioning the logic.  They make the following points:

1) Rosslare-Roscoff is 4 hours shorter than Dublin-Cherbourg.
2) Dublin Port is congested as it is. 
3) The motorway infrastructure leading to Dublin Port, and in particular the M50, is congested.
4) And why would you abandon a direct route to continental Europe with Brexit around the corner?  

IF seem to give the impression that they are always reactive...They seldom give the impression that they are long term planners whose main criteria for a business plan is maximise the revenue whilst slashing and burning all expenditure..