Jump to content
Andy

Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tumnus2010 said:

W.B Yeats is in Rosslare now, presumably for berthing trials, so maybe they are considering it? Although as she was passing they might as well I suppose. 

Or being sarcastic .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were rumours of her being sold this winter back in August although it all went quiet due to WBY's delay. Personally I think I.F are ending their Rosslare link to France.

In some ways I can also see why I.F only want a Dublin-Cherbourg route, there's not a lot of export to France and Spain, I think it's around 6 or 7% combined. 32% is spread across the rest of Europe which heads to Hull and Immingham... Belgium is their 3rd largest market behind the U.S. and U.K.

Maybe we're forgetting that WBY has been built mainly for the Dublin-Holyhead route just like the future FSG build in 2 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I had always been led to believe that WBY is too large for Rosslare.

At 195m she'll fit Rosslare, I doubt she'll get into Milford though, the berth is quite tight to the Cleddau Bridge and the anti collision area is tight too with Neyland marina on the opposite bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Mrs Buzzbee arrived home yesterday advising that her bus had passed WBY, and how on earth did the captain manage to fit it in so tightly?  So Buzzbee set off earlier today to have a look.  And here are two pictures of WBY tied up on Dublin's River Liffey, just down from the 3 Arena..

WBY v1.jpg

WBY v2.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/12/2018 at 14:07, jonno said:

At 195m she'll fit Rosslare, I doubt she'll get into Milford though, the berth is quite tight to the Cleddau Bridge and the anti collision area is tight too with Neyland marina on the opposite bank.

The berth is quite away from the bridge, probably run aground before it got near the bridge and Neyland marina is tucked away from the main channel so ferries wouldn’t get near that.

If the WBY’s wouldn’t fit Pembroke and they sell the OW what would cover the Isle of Inishmore’s dockings ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, captjack said:

The berth is quite away from the bridge, probably run aground before it got near the bridge and Neyland marina is tucked away from the main channel so ferries wouldn’t get near that.

If the WBY’s wouldn’t fit Pembroke and they sell the OW what would cover the Isle of Inishmore’s dockings ?

Come to think of it, it is a fair way from the Bridge isn't it? looks a lot closer driving over it every day... They'll use Epsilon for the dock, she's been a few times. According to the lads at Milford back when I was there, the berth just about fits her. I don't know if they've added at outrigger or dolphin since or if they plan to. There's a long list of  plans submitted and then cancelled in or around the Haven which have proven detrimental to the whole area... Pembrokeshire won't even have a fully functional hospital in a few years, if they keep it open at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonno said:

Come to think of it, it is a fair way from the Bridge isn't it? looks a lot closer driving over it every day... They'll use Epsilon for the dock, she's been a few times. According to the lads at Milford back when I was there, the berth just about fits her. I don't know if they've added at outrigger or dolphin since or if they plan to. There's a long list of  plans submitted and then cancelled in or around the Haven which have proven detrimental to the whole area... Pembrokeshire won't even have a fully functional hospital in a few years, if they keep it open at all.

Ah, didn’t realise they used the Epsilon, they had the OC a while ago when the Inishmore covered the Ulysses. Not heard about any plans for PDFT.

Your right about the Haven, it’s so run down, I hate going up there every two weeks and working there for two weeks, a joy to leave and drive home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning a work related trip to Dublin sometime between January and March, when explaining to a colleague that I planned to take the ferry she replied 'why on earth would you take a ferry when a flight is like an hour or something?..' I didn't bother trying to explain any further ;)

Happy Christmas to all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oscar has at least a few more visits to France to do - at present she looks to be doing Dublin - Cherbourg when Epsilon returns from drydock at Brest to run alongside Yeats on the Holyhead run.  Once Ulysses gets back Yeats goes onto Epsilon’s Holyhead roster and she goes full time to France (until mid-March).  Oscar will then cover Inishmore at Pembroke.  After that, who knows?  The med?

Epsilon is very tight at Milford I believe and doesn’t seem to have been judged a success in the past.  It’s likely she will go back to her owners though once the second newbuild arrives so who knows what they’ll do for dd cover?  Space charter on Stena perhaps?

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×