Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

On 08/02/2018 at 20:39, Cabin-boy said:

The bridge is lower than that on PA and possibly even further forward but that bow shape must be calculated to deflect the waves to the sides when plunging into them rather then throwing up large amounts of spray. Any that does get thrown up will perhaps pass over the bridge itself, thereby reducing the risk of damage. I think I've seen photos of oil-rig supply vessels with a similar design and able to hold station while facing large swells. Ed

The Bridge looks to be on the same deck as the Pont-Aven's, the equivalent of deck 9.  At focsle level you've got a freight height vehicle deck (decks 5 & 6?) and then above that a car height vehicle deck (7?) before you reach the first pax deck with windows (8?) and then the Bridge.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know these are boring but here’s how she’s changed in 2 months, to the day. Chris  

So Mrs Buzzbee arrived home yesterday advising that her bus had passed WBY, and how on earth did the captain manage to fit it in so tightly?  So Buzzbee set off earlier today to have a look.  And here

Had my first sighting today of the WBY. Quite impressive.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Timmy said:

The Bridge looks to be on the same deck as the Pont-Aven's, the equivalent of deck 9.  At focsle level you've got a freight height vehicle deck (decks 5 & 6?) and then above that a car height vehicle deck (7?) before you reach the first pax deck with windows (8?) and then the Bridge.

You are right. It's those two upper decks above the bridge that seem to mask it and thus give the impression that it is lower than normal. Plus the unusual bow shape and angles don't help. Ed

• 2 months later...

31 minutes ago, jonno said:

Why aren't I.F just leaving Epsilon on the route until WBY arrives?

Because Epsilon is an integral part of Dublin-Holyhead during the week Jonno; she only comes to Cherbourg on Sundays. Gareth did of course warn us months ago of the dangers of launching a new vessel mid-season.....;)

Chris

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Off topic question : I am wondering why Oscar Wilde is so often represented in article photographs sporting a livery she never had (white Hull and green funnel). Why is that? Just lazy journalism? 

Because she actually DID have that livery - bit of googling will find images of her with that colour scheme.  Footage of her on you tube with it as well.

Edited by Khaines
Removed link wasn’t working.

So where did the blue hull livery come from , i seem to remember her arriving from her original owners with the blue hull and she was never painted in the white livery since IF have had her .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Khaines said:

Because she actually DID have that livery - bit of googling will find images of her with that colour scheme.  Footage of her on you tube with it as well.

I'm not that daft... Can you categorically confirm it was her livery?

Irish Ferries acquired Oscar Wilde in 2007 and all the pics from 2007 available on Marine Traffic show her with a blue hull and a white funnel i.e. her current livery. Were these white hull pics photoshopped?

26 minutes ago, jonno said:

It's a manipulated Color Line image.

Irish Ferries have only had Oscar Wilde with a blue hull. Normandy ( Stena Europe's Sessan Line sister) is also often mistaken for her too.

5adc4d8b2a287_I.Frender.jpg.ec0d3f3f76dfdc2b64538f5e6089743d.jpg

5adc4ebab914e_ColorLine.jpg.36ed42111d0a2ddeaf62ac05fee6a7c5.jpg

Thanks Jonno ! 

16 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Off topic question : I am wondering why Oscar Wilde is so often represented in article photographs sporting a livery she never had (white Hull and green funnel). Why is that? Just lazy journalism? 

Papers and websites will often use stock pictures to accompany articles that have either been given to them or they paid for and don't want to pay for a new picture unless it something dramatic and worth the cost.  The white hull Oscar Wilde pics are from Irish Ferries press releases before she entered service, even Irish Ferries kept up using the edited pictures for quite some time.  It's not limited to Oscar Wilde, there are plenty of terrible edited images used to accompany news stories, adverts and even companies own press releases, BF and P&O are both guilty!

The blue hull is very effective in hiding rust and dirt, she does take a battering on quite an exposed route, it didn't take long for Normandy's white hull to look awful.

Irish Ferries announced on Friday that delivery to them has been delayed until 29th July from the German shipyard. They have thus cancelled all sailings until 29th July leaving up to 10,000 passengers in the lurch. So far they are offering €150 compensation or a possible alternative booking on the Oscar Wilde but as the sailings operate on alternate days & the OW  operates from Rosslare   to Cherbourg & Roscoff whereas WB Yeats operated only Dublin to Cherbourg passengers will be severely inconvenienced even if the OW has the capacity to take all the 10,000 passengers which at the height of the season would seem very doubtful

It is a PR disaster for the company but were they wise in the first instance to be taking bookings for High season  travel when a new ferry was only due to be delivered to them in June from a shipyard taht despite having a good reputation had never built a passenger ferry as complex as the W> B. ?

On 4/22/2018 at 10:04, jonno said:

It's a manipulated Color Line image.

Irish Ferries have only had Oscar Wilde with a blue hull. Normandy ( Stena Europe's Sessan Line sister) is also often mistaken for her too.

5adc4d8b2a287_I.Frender.jpg.ec0d3f3f76dfdc2b64538f5e6089743d.jpg

5adc4ebab914e_ColorLine.jpg.36ed42111d0a2ddeaf62ac05fee6a7c5.jpg

Hah - I knew I had seen her somewhere before, I didn't realise... must have been plowing up and down the Oslo Fjord!

Presumably if WB Yeats is delayed, everyone will be going mad scrambling to get on the BF sailings, and in particular the weekly PA (as a comparable replacement service), and those sailings will be rammed now then?

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Presumably if WB Yeats is delayed, everyone will be going mad scrambling to get on the BF sailings, and in particular the weekly PA (as a comparable replacement service), and those sailings will be rammed now then?

Pony Aven is nearly fully booked in July already so won't be able to take many disappointed IF passengers.

IF are now claiming only 2300 passengers affected which begs the question what were the bookings like  in the busiest holiday period. Maybe all this extra capacity on the Irish - French route is going to be hard to fill for all the operators ?

26 minutes ago, kgst said:

Pony Aven is nearly fully booked in July already so won't be able to take many disappointed IF passengers.

IF are now claiming only 2300 passengers affected which begs the question what were the bookings like  in the busiest holiday period. Maybe all this extra capacity on the Irish - French route is going to be hard to fill for all the operators ?

I am very sceptical of that figure!

In Ireland, IF have been advertising their French routes intensively since January across national newspapers, TV and internet. Since this delivery delay story broke, they have amended some of their print adverts to promote their UK routes only! They obviously don't want to provoke the ire of disappointed customers.

As for the extra-capacity, I would imagine July and August are an easy sell - it's the rest of the months they have to worry about.

Following a little tip off by someone who works at BF here in Roscoff I had a look at the Ireland-France I.F. Sailing schedule and the WB Yeats has now disappeared completely. The rumour is delivery has been postponed indefinitely until whatever problems they have found are resolved, but I think the chances of her operating this summer are now nil. What a shame, and what a disaster for the company...

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1