Andy

Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

It shouldn't be forgotten that Honfleur is being built as we speak. The accommodation blocks are well underway. and sheets for the hull. If FSB have their act in order, there should be minimal disruption for BF. The only issue at the moment is manpower, and the unexpected number of hours needed to complete WB.Y, which should be reasonably easy to address by pulling in some additional labor. They are not waiting for yard space or the supply chain. One would hope that they also have learnt a few things from the Irish build... If BF put the Honfleur on sale for next season later this year then you would imagine that as long as they match the inventory, if the ship is delayed then passengers can simply be moved onto one of the other vessels and not cancelled outright. The main issue would be disappointment from enthusiasts/media and alike who are going specifically for the vessel... I doubt the general 2019 holiday season traffic will take much notice, as long as they are booked on something.

The main issue here is there there isn't a shortage of tonnage next season. I think it would be a very different affair if there were delays on the E-Flexers...

Edited by hf_uk

14 hours ago, jamie said:

Look at is now live on ais and MarineTraffic 

F4487E8A-1A8B-4126-8B0E-83AD1354F44E.png

They could get the name right at least  ...   W. B . YEATS  not W. B. YEATES

You'd think they would check a little detail like that, wouldn't you? Presumably it's painted on both sides of the bow and stern and displayed elsewhere onboard. Ed. 

51 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

You'd think they would check a little detail like that, wouldn't you? Presumably it's painted on both sides of the bow and stern and displayed elsewhere onboard. Ed. 

Maybe Irish Ferries would like a name change at this stage to put behind all the bad press  over the summer cancellations. At this stage 86% of affected passengers have been dealt with 85% of those to be accomodated on the Oscar Wilde, 13 % cancelling and 2 % opting for landbridge option.

The Ulysses is now becoming unreliable with sailings either delayed or cancelled this week which is causing problems on the Dublin Holyhead route and people are questioning Irish Ferries management decisions in relation to their fleet maintenance programme. 

Hope the Oscar Wilde does not have any problems in July or August as that would not bear thinking about for the rescheduled passengers & those who already booked

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chef said:

Call me old fashioned , but there was always going to be bad karma using a name that was already in use .

M. V. Dracula is still available. They only have to call me and it's theirs. Ed. 

56 minutes ago, Chef said:

The yard looks deserted today , Guess why . 

I guess that result will be good news for Irish ferries then.

As I posted in the HONFLEUR thread, the rumour that has been going about about the real reason for the delays to W.B. YEATS has gone public.  

It is said that the measurements of her accommodation module are out by almost a metre (82cm someone posted to facebook).  Whether true or not I can't say as I'm not there and nobody is going to confirm this officially, but I did hear a couple of months ago from several independent sources that the measurements of the centre accommodation module are out.  If true this is very concerning for both Irish Ferries and Brittany Ferries!

On 16/08/2018 at 12:21, Cabin-boy said:

It's interesting that between photos 6 and 7 there appears to be one missing showing the central (and troublesome) mid-section. Ed. 

Can’t see anything strange.

Photo 6 shows the stern section and photo 7 shows the bow section. The entire mid-section is missing if you compare the different shots with photos 1 & 2. I would like to see that as (by zooming in hard on photo 1) there seems to be a colour difference in the paintwork and some markings on the side. It would perhaps reveal the scale of the work required to rectify the problems. Ed. 

And because the word 'built' starts with a small 'b', presumably they are planning to add 'Still being' in front of it. 

Given IF's preference for naming ships after famous Irish writers do you think they might consider 'M.V. Murphy's Law' for the next vessel? 😀 

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I emailed Irish Ferries yesterday to see if there was a date for delivery.

They have said in the reply that there is no exact date yet.

7 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Any word on how the repairs/modifications/fixes are going on the Yeats? still on the same pier (then again so is the RORO on the other side)

At least they've started the engines on the other RORO (even though her speed is showing 0 knots). W B Yeats hasn't even got that far. It seems to be complete radio silence from FSG but that may simply be because they haven't worked out how to plug it in yet. Ed. 

It’s a concerning situation.  The relevant parties are probably so busy arguing about who was responsible and who should pick up the bill that thay probably haven’t got round to figuring out the solution yet.