Andy

Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

8 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Here's an interesting article, I wonder where this power struggle will end up....

Chris

https://www.thejournal.ie/nta-irish-ferries-4463870-Jan2019/

Ouch - that could be one last nail for FSG if Irish Ferries can make them pay for the compensation. Does show though the issue of putting a new schedule up for a Newbuild before receiving it, although I doubt anyone could have foreseen all what did happen!

18 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Does show though the issue of putting a new schedule up for a Newbuild before receiving it, 

Yeah, no one would be silly enough to do that given what we already know. Oh, wait... 😉 

Ed. 

To be fair to BF, I think the announcement of date for entry into service of Honfleur was made before the full woes of IF became apparent, didn't it?

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

To be fair to BF, I think the announcement of date for entry into service of Honfleur was made before the full woes of IF became apparent, didn't it?

Yes, but perhaps not the official timetables (published in July - when was the new build announced?) so there was still time to amend the schedule. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

I.F would have known in February that there was a problem. I wonder whether the NTA's issue is regarding the four months it took the carrier to announce the delay... unless of course they can prove the yard didn't tell them?

BF have been a little more cautious, only the generic cabin grades are available on the website and as Normandie has a greater pax capacity if Honfleur is delayed no one will need to be re routed.

Everything has gone quiet since she entered service. Has anyone been on her or planning to go on her in the not too distant future?. Was expecting a flurry of pictures, reviews online but seen nothing. Guessing it is the time of the year... 

2 hours ago, georgem7 said:

Everything has gone quiet since she entered service. Has anyone been on her or planning to go on her in the not too distant future?. Was expecting a flurry of pictures, reviews online but seen nothing. Guessing it is the time of the year... 

Our friends over at the IF forum have not posted that many comments as yet, due as you say perhaps to the season. Two points that they have raised seem to be first that she is fitted with euro sockets and so unsuitable for those travelling between the UK and Ireland, but more suited to her summer schedule. They do however sell adapters in the inboard shop. And second that the restaurant menus are not available online and so people with allergies or specific dietary requirements are not able to check before travelling. Aside from that, everything seems OK. They have also been saying that the price IF will need to pay for a second vessel might be significantly higher as the yard will want to make a profit to offset its past losses and cover itself for any further compensation costs. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Andy said:

Thanks Andy. I will use her for the first time around Easter. Very much looking forward to this trip between cherbourg and Dublin. I will report in due course 

8 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Thanks Andy. I will use her for the first time around Easter. Very much looking forward to this trip between cherbourg and Dublin. I will report in due course 

The fake flickering fireplace sounds er.... how can I put it.... charmingly cosy. Irish Ferries sponsored by Disney apparently. I assume the waiters are dressed in plus-fours, tweed jackets and shamrock-green cravats to complete the look. 😀 Ed. 

I'm travelling on her next weekend for a wine tasting in Dublin so will report back. There was a big reception on her earlier this week for the Irish travel trade, I've had feedback from a couple of people present who were most impressed especially with the quality of the food in the A la Carte restaurant. The wine should be good too....😂

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The fake flickering fireplace sounds er.... how can I put it.... charmingly cosy. Irish Ferries sponsored by Disney apparently. I assume the waiters are dressed in plus-fours, tweed jackets and shamrock-green cravats to complete the look. 😀 Ed. 

But with strong Eastern European accents .

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I'm travelling on her next weekend for a wine tasting in Dublin so will report back. There was a big reception on her earlier this week for the Irish travel trade, I've had feedback from a couple of people present who were most impressed especially with the quality of the food in the A la Carte restaurant. The wine should be good too....😂

Chris

I heard that the major shareholder is a big fan of beef, so particular attention is paid to quality...

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Great photos.  What’s the Superfast doing in Dublin?

Superfast X sails from Dublin to Holyhead

9 minutes ago, jonno said:

Superfast X sails from Dublin to Holyhead

Thanks Jonno.  So this is not one of the Belfast pair on refit duties then(?).  I’ve totally missed that SF10 was on that route - was that in place of Stena Nordica?

Superfast X replaced Nordica in 2015. Superfast VII and Superfast VIII operate Belfast-Cairnryan and have done since 2011.

Superfast X will be replaced by E-Flexer no1, Stena Estrid, in 2020. 

Edited by DrScott1980
  • Thanks 1

It was great to meet you today Jonno, and Mrs Jonno too!

And Mrs & Mrs Solo yesterday....!!

Here’s a couple of my archive shots of Superfast X (ex Seafrance Molière) in Dublin Port 2 years ago, I knew they would come in useful one day...🤪

Chris

AB842261-6047-4F13-B535-D3578160E2C7.jpeg

26247215-70F5-409A-9FB4-F7C05D829169.jpeg

Edited by Fine Whine
Hit the send button too soon!
  • Like 3

Cardiff registration, interesting.  Is that the case for the whole of the Stena Wales fleet?  Great photos Chris.

One of these days I will take you up on your invitation! (But we’re giving France a miss this year, for reasons discussed elsewhere 🙁).

• Like 1

The Europe is Fishguard registered, the Adventurer in London and the Cairnryan and Birkenhead ships all in Belfast. The wider Stena group use the UK registry quite widely and are one of the biggest operators of British ships by tonnage, including drillships and tankers - somewhat eccentrically the Stena Crystal Sky and Stena Clear Sky are registered in Stranraer.

Regrettably it looks like post-Brexit most of this fleet will be re-registered elsewhere.

• Like 1