Andy

Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

As in 'sticky tape'? Yes. well done. Ed. 

It's actually quite a derogatory term (don't tell Neil!) which has, er, stuck so to speak.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jonno said:

It's actually quite a derogatory term (don't tell Neil!) which has, er, stuck so to speak.

When we bought our lovely prints in Roscoff from the now gown Louis he said “are you English?” No were Scottish, “ah like the tape “ and he held up a roll of adhesive tape.00E58E33-8DE5-4905-8F8B-24D9FB5B4F12.thumb.jpeg.2e0afb979deab9b189372b4b55838daf.jpeg

Hence as often the French turning it into a verb as in "scotché" to mean stuck in a wider sense like a sailing yacht in no wind. "On était scotché dans une molle et dépassé par toute la flotte".

My favourite is Duct tape / Duck tape, which is greytape in French, so to repair something quickly and temporarily on a racing yacht "il faut le greytaper".

• Like 2

The thread seems to have wondered a tad off topic.  Just in case anyone forgot, it is about IF’s no-longer-new-but-now-one-year-old flagship WBY.  (Chris’ favourite ship!) 😄

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The thread seems to have wondered a tad off topic.  Just in case anyone forgot, it is about IF’s no-longer-new-but-now-one-year-old flagship WBY.  (Chris’ favourite ship!) 😄

Yes but Chris said she was boring so we sort of deviated off course. Ed. 

On 14/10/2019 at 10:14, Fine Whine said:

No problem Solo as you haven't mentioned the name, just as I never do on here....:D

Thankfully Roscoff figures have held up reasonably well as many more Irish are now using the Cork-Roscoff route and the Tuesday Connemara run is proving to be popular - Irish Ferries better watch out once the Visentinis are replaced by a more comfortable and newer vessel. There is also a flourishing local trade plus French/European tourists during the summer months, all  completely unaffected by the B%!XIT shenanigans.

Cherbourg is starting to bubble but it's still a 3 year project to get where we want to be...

Chris

Looking at Irish Ferries passenger figures via Shippax though they have held up very well, especially considering there has been no huge jump elsewhere (that's before even considering Irish Ferries sold two ships worth of bookings last year which they had to try and squeeze on to one)!  How things will be next year though remains to be seen, but Dublin IS very convenient for a lot of people.  Some "improvements" have already been made on board based on passenger (and crew) feedback.

W.B YEATS was never going to be another OSCAR WILDE.  That was a very deliberate choice on the part of Irish Continental.  Someone said somewhere above that Irish Ferries might realise they have got it wrong.  They would perhaps disagree with that considering Yeats was about securing the France connection by bringing in a more modern and efficient vessel which can be mostly closed down during quiet crossings.  She was a very deliberate choice, and her freight capacity compared to her predecessor says it all - its freight that will secure the year round viability of the route.  The next vessel for them is expected to be very similar but with a lot more freight capacity instead of so many cabins.  Perhaps we should think of Yeats as less of a downgrade from Oscar and more of an upgrade from EPSILON? 🤔

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

Perhaps we should think of Yeats as less of a downgrade from Oscar and more of an upgrade from EPSILON? 🤔

A €799 upgrade! Ed. 

7 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris is now back in Roscoff for AGM tomorrow - yeh!

So tomorrow we’ll be doing some brain storming, which in French is « Le brain storming »....🤣

Chris

With the inevitable 'pause-cafe' somewhere during the morning and bookended by 'le briefing' and 'le debriefing'.

My bank here in France is the BNP Paribas and their current slogan on TV is 'Positive Banking' which probably works in the wider world. But when used with a French accent in the tv-ads the word 'banking' is pronounced the French way: 'banquing' which is not quite the same thing! At all! I'm nevertheless so encouraged by this enthusiasm for happy, carefree copulation that I have made an appointment to go and see my 'banque manager' (luckily called Celine and not Benoit) for advice and perhaps even a demonstration of their new services. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

With the inevitable 'pause-cafe' somewhere during the morning and bookended by 'le briefing' and 'le debriefing'.

My bank here in France is the BNP Paribas and their current slogan on TV is 'Positive Banking' which probably works in the wider world. But when used with a French accent in the tv-ads the word 'banking' is pronounced the French way: 'banquing' which is not quite the same thing! At all! I'm nevertheless so encouraged by this enthusiasm for happy, carefree copulation that I have made an appointment to go and see my 'banque manager' (luckily called Celine and not Benoit) for advice and perhaps even a demonstration of their new services. Ed. 

We will of course require a  blow by blow account of this interesting encounter......

Edited by Paully