Jump to content
Andy

Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

Recommended Posts

There seems to be a few new renders of the Irish Ferries newbuild doing the rounds (no link as they are behind subscription barriers at the mo).

 

From the new pictures and the original side view one can make a few educated guesses.

 

The design has good forward views from public areas over two decks plus fwd facing cabins below the bridge and two decks worth of aft facing cabins

 

She is capable of double deck loading. There appears to be a seperate car deck but no access ramp on the focsle or on the open area aft as found on the Ulysses or Spirit of Britain. The car deck is open aft but otherwise enclosed. There is an open area on the upper freight deck

 

There will be two stern doors like the Ulysses

 

No obvious signs as yet of where the balcony cabins are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new ship that BF have on order is due to sail on the Portsmouth - Caen route and is being said to replace the Normandie. Might the Normandie then be moved to Irish operations alongside the PA to compete with Irish Ferries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gabriel Jennings said:

The new ship that BF have on order is due to sail on the Portsmouth - Caen route and is being said to replace the Normandie. Might the Normandie then be moved to Irish operations alongside the PA to compete with Irish Ferries?

Have a look elsewhere on the forums... she has been earmarked for Le Havre. I doubt she would be suitable for the Irish run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jim said:

Have a look elsewhere on the forums... she has been earmarked for Le Havre. I doubt she would be suitable for the Irish run.

So unless Etretat frees up some space in her timetable there won't be any expansion to Ireland in the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All going well - could this vessel and Normandie 2 be constructed alongside each other  - with at least a small amount of overlap time in contsrtuction? Is there space and resource at Flensburger? I would imagine so if her delivery is earmarked for mid 2018, else there is no time to construct Normandie 2 on time!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gabriel Jennings said:

So unless Etretat frees up some space in her timetable there won't be any expansion to Ireland in the foreseeable future.

No one is expanding routes to or from Ireland, I.F's new build is to replace Epsilon... Take a browse through the Irish Ferries Enthusiasts Forum, they will have far more up to date insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://31.209.185.102/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=135979

http://31.209.185.103/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=209202

hf, I think they may have the capacity as the yard is also building 2 Ro Ro's at the same time as I.F's newbie. I've often wondered whether BF's order is the 2nd ship option which I.F stalled on?

Forgot to add that the links above are for two of Flensburger's webcams.

Edited by jonno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonno said:

http://31.209.185.102/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=135979

http://31.209.185.103/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=209202

hf, I think they may have the capacity as the yard is also building 2 Ro Ro's at the same time as I.F's newbie. I've often wondered whether BF's order is the 2nd ship option which I.F stalled on?

Thanks Jonno....

 

I doubt it, as BF are so specific about their designs, and hulls especially. I expect a lot is being migrated from the Pegasis work done with STX. Also the I.F vessel is much larger. Alghough, 42,000 grt is not to be sniffed at for a Caen ship - should feel pretty spacious as I've said before:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hf_uk said:

Thanks Jonno....

 

I doubt it, as BF are so specific about their designs, and hulls especially. I expect a lot is being migrated from the Pegasis work done with STX. Also the I.F vessel is much larger. Alghough, 42,000 grt is not to be sniffed at for a Caen ship - should feel pretty spacious as I've said before:)

True, for their new builds I don't think they've ever accepted an off the shelf product without adding their own character. I think MSM has been the closest to that in terms of hull design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

I am a bit confused.  I didn't think BF have firmed up their LOI into an actual order yet -- or maybe I've misunderstood the position.

I think it was firmed at the end of March!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

I am a bit confused.  I didn't think BF have firmed up their LOI into an actual order yet -- or maybe I've misunderstood the position.

I don't think they have HT although after the failure of PEGASIS I wouldn't have thought BF would have announced the letter if they weren't confident of moving forward.

I suppose it's fair to assume that they received assurances from their investors prior to the December statement?

Then again...

Maybe the Société d'Equipement NAval du CALvados are upset that their vessel is moving east, Monsieur Bui may have put his foot down and said "Non Christophe!"O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jonno said:

I don't think they have HT although after the failure of PEGASIS I wouldn't have thought BF would have announced the letter if they weren't confident of moving forward.

I suppose it's fair to assume that they received assurances from their investors prior to the December statement?

Then again...

Maybe the Société d'Equipement NAval du CALvados are upset that their vessel is moving east, Monsieur Bui may have put his foot down and said "Non Christophe!"O.o

I don't want to go off topic as I'm aware this subject is being discussed elsewhere on this website but it seems to me that if BF can't firm up their order at Flensburger within a reasonable time they'll lose their place in the queue.  But any further discussion of MSM2 should be in the appropriate thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

I don't want to go off topic as I'm aware this subject is being discussed elsewhere on this website but it seems to me that if BF can't firm up their order at Flensburger within a reasonable time they'll lose their place in the queue.  But any further discussion of MSM2 should be in the appropriate thread.

Fair point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has previously been discussed somewhere, but is there any word yet on where IF are planning to deploy this ship?  Is she being built as a direct replacement for Oscar Wilde?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The press statement at the top of the thread suggests it could be anywhere on the network but Holyhead to Dublin seems to be the primary route in place of Epsilon. Plus a rotation to France at weekends. Ed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link. I've just submitted my idea. I think that, given the number of people who are likely to suggest similar names, the technique is to give a good reason for the choice. I therefore fully expect to win a lifetime of free travel. :D

Ed

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2017 at 14:48, Gareth said:

Sorry if this has previously been discussed somewhere, but is there any word yet on where IF are planning to deploy this ship?  Is she being built as a direct replacement for Oscar Wilde?

Hi Gareth,

As yet there is no official news on where the new ship will be deployed, but there is a great deal of rumour, double bluffing and false information being bandied about. I know just about everyone there is to know within Irish Ferries, mainly because I supply all the wine on board the Oscar Wilde; so if you travel on her and are not happy with that special bottle brought to your table then the buck stops with me......:ph34r: 

The company line is the new vessel will replace MV Epsilon and her current sailing schedule, meaning a once a week round trip from Dublin to Cherbourg on Saturday afternoon, returning the following evening. Logic tells me there is no way you directly replace a Visentini offering limited facilities and capacity for just over 400 pax, with a state of the art new build  that would appear to be competing directly with BF and their Cork - Roscoff route - luxury cabins with balconies, à la carte restaurant, etc etc.

The Oscar Wilde schedule for 2018 is already online and I am really excited by Roscoff getting 37 visits compared to 30 this year, a 20% increase, so for 2018 the new vessel is not her direct replacement. OW was certified seaworthy for at least another 5 years following her February dry dock in Falmouth, so in my book she's not going anyhere fast. The name and roster for the new ship will appear at the end of October, and I'm really hoping she will operate almost exclusively on a Dublin - France rotation for the summer season, including a once weekly call to Roscoff which really would be the icing on the cake. Take it from me, if a UK customer spends an average €50 on wine and beer, the Irish spend €500.

For this to work then the Epsilon could go back to Dublin - Holyhead full time, but I have zero inside information on this one.

It would be a big gamble to double the capacity from Ireland to France, but a regular service out of Dublin Port must have huge appeal, especially for those living north of the border and in or around the city.

Exciting times!

 

Chris

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Chris - exciting times indeed.  I wonder you'll end up supplying the wine to the new ship too?  Will be interesting to see what happens with her schedule.  Has ther been any word on the future of Epsilon that might corrobororate your thoughts?  I guess the assumption has been that Epsilon would be leaving th fleet, but if there has been nothing official regarding this then that could well back up your thoughts.

If the new ship does end up doing three rotations to France per week from Dublin then there would probably still be time for her to spend a day or so serving Holyhead - perhaps Friday or Saturday supplementary sailings to the main ships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Hi Gareth,

As yet there is no official news on where the new ship will be deployed, but there is a great deal of rumour, double bluffing and false information being bandied about. I know just about everyone there is to know within Irish Ferries, mainly because I supply all the wine on board the Oscar Wilde; so if you travel on her and are not happy with that special bottle brought to your table then the buck stops with me......:ph34r: 

The company line is the new vessel will replace MV Epsilon and her current sailing schedule, meaning a once a week round trip from Dublin to Cherbourg on Saturday afternoon, returning the following evening. Logic tells me there is no way you directly replace a Visentini offering limited facilities and capacity for just over 400 pax, with a state of the art new build  that would appear to be competing directly with BF and their Cork - Roscoff route - luxury cabins with balconies, à la carte restaurant, etc etc.

The Oscar Wilde schedule for 2018 is already online and I am really excited by Roscoff getting 37 visits compared to 30 this year, a 20% increase, so for 2018 the new vessel is not her direct replacement. OW was certified seaworthy for at least another 5 years following her February dry dock in Falmouth, so in my book she's not going anyhere fast. The name and roster for the new ship will appear at the end of October, and I'm really hoping she will operate almost exclusively on a Dublin - France rotation for the summer season, including a once weekly call to Roscoff which really would be the icing on the cake. Take it from me, if a UK customer spends an average €50 on wine and beer, the Irish spend €500.

For this to work then the Epsilon could go back to Dublin - Holyhead full time, but I have zero inside information on this one.

It would be a big gamble to double the capacity from Ireland to France, but a regular service out of Dublin Port must have huge appeal, especially for those living north of the border and in or around the city.

Exciting times!

 

Chris

 

Hi Chris. I sampled a Crozes  Hermitage (half bottle) on board in June. Was it one of yours? It was very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One cannot help but wonder what, if anything, Balearia might do. Probably nothing -- but I'm not sure it would be politic to totally dismiss out of hand the possibility they might try to revive LD Lines' Montoir-Rosslare service which, it was reported, was picking up business when LD closed everything down.  However as of this posting we have almost no info as to what their plans are even for Gijon-Montoir, which will start things off, apart from the fact that one of their two LNG Visentinis, currently being built post-haste in Italy, will operate it.  As IF are apparently increasing the number of their calls at Roscoff next year maybe they have their suspicions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

One cannot help but wonder what, if anything, Balearia might do. Probably nothing -- but I'm not sure it would be politic to totally dismiss out of hand the possibility they might try to revive LD Lines' Montoir-Rosslare service which, it was reported, was picking up business when LD closed everything down.  However as of this posting we have almost no info as to what their plans are even for Gijon-Montoir, which will start things off, apart from the fact that one of their two LNG Visentinis, currently being built post-haste in Italy, will operate it.  As IF are apparently increasing the number of their calls at Roscoff next year maybe they have their suspicions.

A bit far fetched. Do we need to have the sempiternal wishes of revival of (sometimes failed but providing they include Poole) ferry lines competing with BF or others, not even remotely connected with the topic?

apologies for being facetious but... The company "Le Passeur du Trieux" is now offering crossings between Pontrieux and Lezardrieux on their state of the art converted trawler. Do BF and IF need to worry about the launch of a competing service between Lezardrieux and Plymouth or Cork?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...