Andy

Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

36 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Do they have available tonnage - currently no unless Brigitte would sanction her favourite ship heading west for the summer season. Somebody from within BF ivory towers (France) recently told me that at a rate of £1 = €1.26 the company should make money; the current pitiful rate means they'll be losing millions this year, so it's steady as she goes.

If BF need an exchange rate of £1 = €1.26 to make a profit I would have thought that lack of available tonnage would not be a problem. Surely BF would not want to throw money away operating  an unprofitable service when they could be using their ships to greater advantage elsewhere.

The Summer peak season has just passed, and BF ships appeared very busy when I traveled a few times. I find it hard to believe they make a loss even if the exchange rate has been almost parity, I expect they hedge well in advance to preempt these trough periods. I bet they just hope that it will, inevitably, go back up at some point again and then they can start the cycle all over again... still, really quite a gamble considering what is at stake. I imagine the Brexit vote did not make the BF chiefs particularly chuffed...

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Incredible that she's going to enter service in just 10 months time!! :o

irish Ferries are looking for name suggestions, with the chance to win free travel for life - https://www.bigshipbigname.com 

I went for Samuel Beckett... Lived in Paris, wrote in French, Nobel winner for Literature, went to the same school as Oscar Wilde and was left handed...just like the best of us!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Incredible that she's going to enter service in just 10 months time!! :o

irish Ferries are looking for name suggestions, with the chance to win free travel for life - https://www.bigshipbigname.com 

What about MV Guinness ?

3 hours ago, jonno said:

I went for Samuel Beckett... Lived in Paris, wrote in French, Nobel winner for Literature, went to the same school as Oscar Wilde and was left handed...just like the best of us!!

They probably wont use that as the new Irish Navy ship  [2014 was name Le Samuel Beckett    ...

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

What about MV Guinness ?

Literary names hf_uk, literary names........👀

But then I suppose the Guinness Book of Records is a book ....

Chris

ps; I went for Star of the Sea, a historical novel by the famous Irish author Joseph O'Connor, who I had never heard of until I googled "famous Irish Authors"....:/

Edited by Fine Whine
Can't spell
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

who I had never heard of until I googled "famous Irish Authors"

That's cheating! Plus you had to explain your choice to be in with a chance of winning and I don't think that reason will go down well with the jury. It's a good name though but does sound a bit like a cruise liner. I hadn't thought about book titles and went for a character name instead. Ed

Unless you lot come up with something better, which is certainly possible. But I think the reason for the choice might well count as much as the choice itself. Ed

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Unless you lot come up with something better, which is certainly possible. But I think the reason for the choice might well count as much as the choice itself. Ed

Hey Ed, I didn't think Molly Malone's wheelbarrow was eligible, especially after you suggested that passengers sing 'Cockles & Mussels' as they back out of the Liffey?:D

Well seeing that all their ships fly the Cypriot flag and not an Irish one then maybe they should be looking at naming the ship from that neck of the woods  .

6 hours ago, captjack said:

What happened to the bow, did the designer go for a break and the tea boy finished it off !.  That looks pig ugly.

Maybe it's the latest thinking on the configuration of a bow of a drive thru roro ship best able to deal with the heavy seas to be expected between Ireland and France.  Maybe IF are planning to use this as yet unnamed ferry more between Ireland and France.

I think she looks better in this one, but they are just an artists impression - remember how the image of Pont Aven's bow was quite different to the real thing.

image.jpg

Edited by Fine Whine

1 hour ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

Maybe it's the latest thinking on the configuration of a bow of a drive thru roro ship best able to deal with the heavy seas to be expected between Ireland and France.  Maybe IF are planning to use this as yet unnamed ferry more between Ireland and France.

I still can't find out the schedule of the new ship and I've tried everyone who might possibly know, even the chief purser on the Oscar Wilde last weekend but they are all sworn to secrecy. One thing I do know for certain is despite what the company said originally she will not just be taking over from Epsilon and her current schedule, ie one round trip at the weekend to France. There will be at least 2 per week, I hope even a third including one to Roscoff, but that's maybe being too greedy ....

Chris

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Looks like the only deck space

is on the top deck and maybe at the rear.

I think there is a viewing area above the bridge unless it's designed for the balconied premium cabins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

The bow mirrors what they build on their RoRo's It's similar in shape to Pascal Paoli the last ship Van de Giessen built, I wonder if a few designs headed Flensburger's way?

A  ferry with the number of cabins and standard as this new build is hardly going to spend most of it's time between Ireland  and Wales . It's pretty obvious that it is intended for Ireland to continental Europe . Bars, restaurants and gift shops in operation on a 14 to 16 hour crossing is a far better money maker than  a 3 hour crossing  From Ireland to Wales . Plus all those cabins need to put to use .

Edited by Chef
  • Like 1

I can't see ICG doubling their offer to France from Dublin without looking at bringing another ship in if Epsilon is going back.  I.F won't cut down on their Dublin-Holyhead route. It's very, very competitive and far more lucrative than two 4 day return trips from Dublin to Cherbourg every week. It's why she'll carry 165 freight units and has separate decks for 300 cars, the volume is needed for Holyhead. They won't tinker with their conventional freight laden timetable to Wales. Holyhead handles over 2 million passengers a year It's why there are 5 ships and 10 sailings a day.

15 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I think she looks better in this one, but they are just an artists impression - remember how the image of Pont Aven's bow was quite different to the real thing.

image.jpg

I've spent the last 24 hours trying to work out what that bow shape reminds me of. Now I've got it, and it's going to win me the lifetime ticket prize. It's like a vampire bat with a stubby nose. So the name of the vessel will be the MV Dracula. Ed.