Andy

Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

The way I see it, the fact that she has been designed for twin-level loading implies that that plan must be, at least in part, to operate on Holyhead-Dublin.  If she was intended exclusively for Ireland-France I doubt they would have bothered with that expense.  But I agree, also, that the cabin configuration is intended to make her suitable for the French routes and if Holyhead was the exclusive intention then they wouldn't have bothered with that expense either.

So, in summary, she is designed to be suitable for operation on both routes.

Whether that means we will see her on both routes, or what the balance is between them, remains to be seen of course.

Edited by Gareth

I spoke to someone at Irish Ferries this evening, they're very happy with progress to date. Here are 2 screenshots from the webcam in the main construction hall (what an anorak:(), showing she's doubled in size in 14 days with a new section being craned across.

Well they will do once I've uploaded today's photo....

Chris

IMG_0225.PNG

IMG_0227.PNG

So the name of the new vessel will be revealed on RTE's the Late Late show this evening, although we have to wait until the end of the month for her schedule.

Fingers crossed and we're all rooting for you Ed; just think, you could leave work early on a friday afternoon, catch your "lifetime free ferry" from Cherbourg to Rosslare, pop into the local for a few pints of the black stuff, back on board for your "lifetime free ferry" back to Roscoff arriving Sunday morning, call in for a coffee and load the boot with wine, home for a rest on Sunday afternoon before teaching your lucky students again on Monday morning.

I can't wait for your regular voyage reports, especially if any arrivals are more than 30 minutes late......9_9

Bonne chance/good luck

Chris

And here's how she's grown this week

If no image is displayed, there might be too many viewers, or the browser configuration may have to be changed. See help for detailed instructions on how to do this.

• Haha 1

Well, there has clearly been some mistake. They haven't thought this through correctly, have they? Once you add MS or MV in front of the name it's going to look a bit strange. 

I made two suggestions via the website, Dracula and Christy Mahon. I wonder what others suggested. Ed

Well the Irish Naval Service has a ship named  William Butler Yeats which does fly the Irish flag , Irish Ferries  will have a ship named W B Yeats flying the Cypriot flag . 

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:24, Chef said:

Well the Irish Naval Service has a ship named  William Butler Yeats which does fly the Irish flag , Irish Ferries  will have a ship named W B Yeats flying the Cypriot flag . 

Very true. Sadly there won't be anything particularly Irish about the new ship, other than the owners and the ports she serves.

As for the name, personally I went for Mary Robinson.

If you look very closely at that feed during the night you can see all the little leprechauns sprinkling their lucky leprechaun dust along the keel! :)

What a let down, the least they could have done is copy the naval vessel by using his full name.

The next one will probably called the Daniel O'D or Dana (oh they can't can they, DFDS have cornered the Dana market.)

Ed, maybe they would have prefered J M Synge?

12 minutes ago, jonno said:

What a let down, the least they could have done is copy the naval vessel by using his full name.

The next one will probably called the Daniel O'D or Dana (oh they can't can they, DFDS have cornered the Dana market.)

Ed, maybe they would have prefered J M Synge?

I had thought about that but rejected it for the same reason as I set out above with the initials plus the MS or MV. So I went for a character rather than an author seeing as there is already a mix with Oscar Wilde, Jonathan Swift and Ulysses. Obviously Isle of Inishmore is one of the Aran Islands which already references Synge but I thought I might get away with Christy Mahon if the story behind the choice was good enough but clearly it wasn't. Perhaps if they decide to rename Epsilon I'll try again. Ed 

On 10/9/2017 at 16:31, hf_uk said:

If you look very closely at that feed during the night you can see all the little leprechauns sprinkling their lucky leprechaun dust along the keel! :)

This comment reminds me of the anti Irish / Paddy went into a bar type jokes we use to put up with years ago . This Brexit thing must be getting under some peoples skin as Brittania  sinks below the waves .And as far as Cromwell goes , we got over him long time ago .

Edited by Chef
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2017 at 17:09, Chef said:

This comment reminds me of the anti Irish / Paddy went into a bar type jokes we use to put up with years ago . This Brexit thing must be getting under some peoples skin as Brittania  sinks below the waves .And as far as Cromwell goes , we got over him long time ago .

Indeed - and there are no need for such comments in a sensible discussion! Let's all play nicely...

• Like 1

So it's official, the WB Yeats 2018 summer schedule is now online and open for bookings. Dublin - Cherbourg non-stop from early July until mid September. And the 2 premium suites with balcony are on sale at 899€ each including dinner for 4 people...:o

I'm up to Cherbourg tonight to catch the Oscar Wilde, now diverted to Dublin due to industrial action in Rosslare. I wonder if the long term strategy will be to operate exclusively from Dublin to France ....

Chris

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks Chris.  So does Holyhead drop back to a single-ship operation or is Epsilon being retained to run exclusively to Holyhead?

Informed opinion has it that W B Yeats will perform an all year round operation from Dublin-Cherbourg with Oscar Wilde switching to a dedicated Rosslare-Roscoff timetable during the summer and that Epsilon's charter which is due to end in November 2018 will be extended until 2021.

Another whisper, same source... I.F. are beginning to look at structuring their finances in order to take up their option on the second Flensburger build after Honfleur is floated out. Question is, if true will she be replacing O.W or Epsilon?

Maybe Chris could pop the odd cork and ply his I.F friend with something chilled from Vouvray? 

Thanks Jonno.  Gosh, I wonder what BF headquarters at Roscoff will make of OW going head to head with PA at Roscoff for what I imagine will be 3 sailings per week.

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

I wonder where the market will come from? Else there will be 4 large, and largely empty vessels coming in each week!

All of the Irish carriers are increasing capacity from 2019 whether it be France or the UK. Two of Stena's massive E-Flexers will be replacing both Stena Mersey & Lagan from Birkenhead-Belfast increasing freight by a third plus E-Flexer IV is to replace Superfast X on the Holyhead route again another huge jump in lane meters. I.F will possibly need Flensburger II just to compete.

Unfortunately the schedule isn't online as such, you have to go for dummy bookings to see what's happening. As I've just mentioned to Gareth I have a meeting with Irish Ferries tomorrow so hopefully things will be a little clearer after that.

Chris

• Like 1

There is now public information available on all this so we can speculate less :)

Though I agree with the person who thinks ICG may order a second vessel to be built after FSG complete the HONFLEUR.

Shared from https://www.facebook.com/groups/ferriesglobal/

Irish Ferries have now revealed more of their plans for the W.B. YATES.

As timetable investigations revealed at the weekend she will operate Dublin - Cherbourg with a sailing one way per day.  In mid-September she will switch to Dublin - Holyhead and the EPSILON will take her place to France.  

The fast ferry JONATHAN SWIFT will go seasonal only and looks like she will be out of service Mid-September to April.

The future of the OSCAR WILDE isn’t clear from the press release but the emphasis out on daily sailings to France suggests that she will remain around. (My guess is reduced winter schedule for her).

https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/news-listing/rish-ferries-announces-daily-departures-to-france-for-summer-2018/

36 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

There is now public information available on all this so we can speculate less :)

Though I agree with the person who thinks ICG may order a second vessel to be built after FSG complete the HONFLEUR.

Shared from https://www.facebook.com/groups/ferriesglobal/

Irish Ferries have now revealed more of their plans for the W.B. YATES.

As timetable investigations revealed at the weekend she will operate Dublin - Cherbourg with a sailing one way per day.  In mid-September she will switch to Dublin - Holyhead and the EPSILON will take her place to France.  

The fast ferry JONATHAN SWIFT will go seasonal only and looks like she will be out of service Mid-September to April.

The future of the OSCAR WILDE isn’t clear from the press release but the emphasis out on daily sailings to France suggests that she will remain around. (My guess is reduced winter schedule for her).

https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/news-listing/rish-ferries-announces-daily-departures-to-france-for-summer-2018/

Should be W.B. YEATS rather than YATES  - predictive text for you.

• Like 1