Irish Ferries Announce Newbuild for UK/Ireland/France

So, to summarise the plans for Ireland to France:

Irish Ferries will be offering a daily departure in each direction.  (First time they have done that since the days of Saint Patrick II and Saint Killian II).  WBY and OW sailing in reciprocal directions every day, meaning that each ship does 7 sailings per week.  Southbound, departures alternate between Dublin and Rosslare. French destination is Cherbourg 5 times per week and Roscoff  twice a week.  OW will call at Roscoff twice every week (alternate weeks Friday/Sunday and Thursday/Saturday).  Then in the weeks when OW is in France 4 times, OW does 2 Cherbourg calls and WBY does 3.  In the intervening weeks, OW does one Cherbourg call whilst WBY does 4.

I agree with what was posted earlier, that it will be interesting to see how long IF stays at Rosslare.  They must be tempted to concentrate everything on Dublin, especially if they are getting messed around by industrial disputes at Rosslare.  But then again, if IF does abandon Rosslare then that could play nicely into BF's hand as far as the southern Eire traffic is concerned?

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know these are boring but here’s how she’s changed in 2 months, to the day. Chris  

So Mrs Buzzbee arrived home yesterday advising that her bus had passed WBY, and how on earth did the captain manage to fit it in so tightly?  So Buzzbee set off earlier today to have a look.  And here

Had my first sighting today of the WBY. Quite impressive.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

So, to summarise the plans for Ireland to France:

Irish Ferries will be offering a daily departure in each direction.  (First time they have done that since the days of Saint Patrick II and Saint Killian II).  WBY and OW sailing in reciprocal directions every day, meaning that each ship does 7 sailings per week.  Southbound, departures alternate between Dublin and Rosslare. French destination is Cherbourg 5 times per week and Roscoff  twice a week.  OW will call at Roscoff twice every week (alternate weeks Friday/Sunday and Thursday/Saturday).  Then in the weeks when OW is in France 4 times, OW does 2 Cherbourg calls and WBY does 3.  In the intervening weeks, OW does one Cherbourg call whilst WBY does 4.

I agree with what was posted earlier, that it will be interesting to see how long IF stays at Rosslare.  They must be tempted to concentrate everything on Dublin, especially if they are getting messed around by industrial disputes at Rosslare.  But then again, if IF does abandon Rosslare then that could play nicely into BF's hand as far as the southern Eire traffic is concerned?

It could also play nicely into Stena's hands too by returning Horizon to the Italians and having a two ship service when the Mersey based Visentini's become available. There's to be a good deal of freight expansion going on at Rosslare.

I thought the industrial action which affected Rosslare was due to a larger issue concerning the country's rail network? 

I’ve just spent 30 minutes talking to Captain Steven O’Mara on the bridge of the OW over a cup of coffee. Very interesting, although nothing new about schedules and ships for 2018/19 as yet. Fascinating to learn more about how wind and tide can affect even a large ferry; we reached 21.2 knots this morning with a favourable tide, now only just over 18 knots with tide against us and stabilisers out. 

Also as we are steaming flat out to Dublin Port on 4 engines rather than Rosslare on 2 the fuel consumption goes up alarmingly, probably an extra 10 tonnes used in each direction ....

The company are very confident Flensburg will have the Yeats ready in time for the first scheduled sailing in early July, still 8 months to go and apparently she’s going to be some vessel.

Chris

Full 2018 French timetable is available at https://www.irishferries.com/globalassets/landingoffer-pages/france2018/franceschedule-2018-en.pdf

Remains to be seen what happens to Oscar Wilde after September 2018.  My guess would be that if the daily sailings are a success (which all evidence would suggest they will be) then Oscar will be retained even for seasonal use.  I'd also not be shocked if a second newbuild is odered.

Some comments are being made about Rosslare Vs Dublin.  For most of Ireland Dublin is preferable though I imagine some trade may be lost to Stena at Rosslare and BF at Cork.  It will also grow market as many in the North will do landbridge rather than drive to Rosslare but would happily use a French route from Dublin,

13 hours ago, LD said:

Wow... €900 for the top cabin... each way! Makes Commodore on Pont Aven "affordable"...

They do include dinner, breakfast and access to the Club Class lounge but still...

The top cabins on the Oscar Wilde have always sold well but a quick glance shows even the Premium Suites on the Oscar Wilde are half that...

I haven't yet seen how many of each cabin grade there is. 

20 minutes ago, Chef said:

I wish they would let us know about their kennel arrangements .

I emailed them & it looks like the same arrangement as on OW 12 cabins of various sizes on Deck 7. They issued me the standard notes about visiting pets accompanied by a crew member but also said to bring your own water bowl etc.

So there is no improvement which is very disappointing except the kennels are new and I don't know about an exercise area but if it is on a car deck I am sure there is not one worth talking about. They are charging more for pets as well

It will need to be delivered on schedule - IF are marketing very heavily the new sailings on W b Yeats in print & in digital formats

They are offering 10% off for early booking & €100 deposit.  A July 2018 return sailing with that pricing is €10 cheaper than BF

1 hour ago, kgst said:

It will need to be delivered on schedule - IF are marketing very heavily the new sailings on W b Yeats in print & in digital formats

They are offering 10% off for early booking & €100 deposit.  A July 2018 return sailing with that pricing is €10 cheaper than BF

BF deposit is far less, £35 - so that is attractive for people who want to book early for price, but potentially have changeable plans.

40 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

BF deposit is far less, £35 - so that is attractive for people who want to book early for price, but potentially have changeable plans.

BF deposit on the Irish site is 25% of the total booking  so for a high season booking is in excess of €300 . There is also no club travel  for Irish customers

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Chef said:

Anyone any idea as to what is going on behind curtain .

That I presume is where they have been drilling very large holes for the bow thrusters. You can see them on the current picture, they weren't there 10 days ago.

So taking screen shots every few days isn't quite as stupid as it looks ....:D

Chris

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

That I presume is where they have been drilling very large holes for the bow thrusters. You can see them on the current picture, they weren't there 10 days ago.

So taking screen shots every few days isn't quite as stupid as it looks ....:D

Chris

The bow thruster housings were all ready in place in that section when it was brought in , the screen went up afterwards and is positioned aft of the thrusters . I was thinking that it is something to do with a curing process / coating