Sign in to follow this  
Nick Hyde

RMS St Helena going to Alderney?

I read that Chris it did make me smile .

And hopefully the emergency wasn’t too bad if they were taken back to the island.

Edited by neilcvx

She’s off to Oman to become MNG Tahiti a floating armoury vessel , will hunt out the Rueters link as I read this on a closed Facebook group.

• Like 1

Passengers can now book voyages onboard the MV Helena.

The MV will offer one four-berth passenger cabin. Each berth is equipped with a curtain, and the cabin has an en-suite bathroom, a sitting area, a desk and a TV. Passengers will take meals in the crew lounge and have access to Wi-Fi. 

Each passenger will get 1 cubic metre of hold baggage.

The fares, per passenger, are as follows:

Between Cape Town and St Helena, a one–way trip is £550, and return is £900.

Between St Helena and Ascension, a one–way trip is £350. 

Between Ascension and Cape Town, a one-way trip is £900.

And a full roundtrip between Cape Town, St Helena and Ascension is £1,500.

Further information in this week’s Sentinel. Blueprint of the cabin provided by Andrew Weir.”

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 1

Neikcvx

Are you trying to suggest that the St Helena will resume service from Cape Town to St Helena and Ascension?

Or

Are you just showing a screen shot of the former route, details of the ship and an example of a cabin?

Andrew Weir Shipping Ltd were the operators of the RMS St Helena.

As I'm sure that you are aware!

The St Helena is currently owned by St Helena LCC, Jersey and has been refitted to act as a mobile hub for the race events of the EXTREME E electric SUV racing series.

She won't be returning to St Helena anytime soon and I have no doubt that once her service is over with her current owners she will more than likely be disposed off and most probably to the breaker's.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, canberra97 said:

Neikcvx

Are you trying to suggest that the St Helena will resume service from Cape Town to St Helena and Ascension?

Or

Are you just showing a screen shot of the former route, details of the ship and an example of a cabin?

The St Helena is currently owned by St Helena LCC, Jersey and has been refitted to act as a mobile hub for the race events of the EXTREME E electric SUV racing series.

She won't be returning to St Helena anytime soon and I have no doubt that once her service is over with her current owners she will more than likely be disposed off and most probably to the breaker's.

This is referring to travel on MV Helena, the name of their new freight vessel. The MV St Helena passenger vessel won't be returning.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canberra97 said:

Neikcvx

Or

Neil was very clear he was referring to the MV Helena. There was no mention of 'St.' in the name. This different vessel is also managed by AW Shipping and their website gives all the relevant information. 

https://sthelenashipping.com/

Ed

• Thanks 1

My apologies I wasn't aware that it was referring to the freighter MV HELENA!

It wasn't made very obvious in your post Neil, it was a screenshot, hence the confusion.

23 minutes ago, canberra97 said:

My apologies I wasn't aware that it was referring to the freighter MV HELENA!

It wasn't made very obvious in your post Neil, it was a screenshot, hence the confusion.

It wasn’t a screenshot it was a link to an official page for the St Helena tourism board.

(I don’t or at least try not to post screenshots as they are usually copyrighted or from private pages on social media so I always try to post links.)

Edited by neilcvx

End of the day it was an easy and simple mistake to make regarding whether it was MV St Helena or MV Helena. Some seem to be taking this thread a bit too seriously!

• Like 2

It would be an interesting experience going on a cargo ship certainly a lot different than a Royal Mail ship although the cabin in the link looks a lot bigger than the ones on RMS St Helena.

• Like 1

After leaving or should I say being made redundant by British Channel Island Ferries in 1993 after the takeover by Condor Ferries I joined Geest Line.

I used to work for Geest Line on their GEESTBAY, we took 12 passengers in luxurious accommodations on a 32 day round trip from Southampton to the Windward Islands and Trinidad. 

Port's of call were Antigua, Dominica, St Lucia (Castries and Vieux Fort), St Vincent and Port of Spain.

It was a great 32 day round trip with plenty of time off in port including night stops in several port's. And the crew accomodation was very good, nice large ensuite with Queen size bed, all single berth cabins for the catering department and of course the officers. The food was excellent with BBQs on the outer decks whilst in the Caribbean. There was a nicely laid out lounge with big comfortable sofa's, a dining room for the officers and passengers and even a small outside pool that was lifted on top of one of the cargo hatches.

I must be the only member of BFE who knows first hand what it's like to sail or better still work on a cargo ship that takes passengers.

Just saying 😉

Edited by canberra97
Additional information
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took this photo when she visited London back in January this year. Picture taken shortly after embarking a PLA pilot at the NE Spit Pilot Station.

20190125_HTCU12_070.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1