With the news of ICG ordering a new vessel this week, what is delaying Brittany Ferries from getting a much needed new flagship under construction?

If the build takes two years, as the projected delivery time of the ICG vessel, won't the fleet will be looking rather tired by the time it arrives.

From a very reliable source here in Roscoff the delay is because BF's bankers/financial institutions are awaiting the result of the Referendum. The worry is that if we leave Sterling will plummet or become unstable with potentially serious consequences for travel to the continent; a particular worry to BF as 80% of their revenue comes in Sterling.

Chris

• Like 1

Makes sense - look at what happened to BF after Sterling plunged in the aftermath of the Global Financial Crisis. Whichever side one takes in the referendum, it is clear that the effects will spread far beyond the shores of the UK.

I personally would expect an announcement in the next or two or at least by the end of the summer. By that point you could possibly have a new order ready for the peak 2018 season.

If no announcement is made I would expect BF to buy an already existing ship and maybe carry out extensive renovations a la Val de Loire '93 - however they will be in competition with DFDS who will be looking for similar vessels to run the Ijmuiden route.

The writing is quite clearly on the wall for Bretange I would expect BF to get rid within the next 2 years.