Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Brexit may raise BF fares

All I know is that for the last 6 years The real value of my income has fallen..... If BF alter fares then it will impact on how many times I use their services....

And the value of your income has been far more affected by decisions like austerity and bailing out the banks than the EU. The money markets are expecting the pound to drop 20% ovr night if the vote is for exit. This would probably push up the prices BF have to charge or even make some of their routes unviable. It would in effect also push up the relative priceof everything when you go across the channel.

If you look at the euro vs sterling prices that have risen and fallen on opinion polls on Brexit , BF fares are bound to rise if the pound loses value if we leave.

Edited by neilcvx

Brittany Ferries are very vulnerable to changes in the exchange rate. Most of their passengers are British, so most of their revenue is in sterling, while most of their costs - particularly wages - are in euros. In an interview in the latest 'Le Marin', president Roué says the consequences of a "brexit" will be similar to the financial crisis of 2008.

and, in addition, Sterling is predicted to fall significantly against the US Dollar (down to £1=US$1.15) - as oil is priced in US Dollars, this will make fuel significantly more expensive

I have just voted to remain as I said I would anyway. If we have a Leave win then The Brexit voters have just put up their own and everyone else's ferry costs as well, think of that one before casting one's vote. Will other ferry companies follow suit?

I'm not voting based on costs, I am voting to remain because although I have views both for and against staying in the EU, the behaviour of the Brexit side over recent months has put me off, and I am not sure I would like to fix what in my opinion won't be mended by leaving. What problems thought to be solved by leaving will only present new ones caused by it. Putting up ferry fares is just one thing.

I am bitterly disappointed by the leave campaign. The remain campaign talk about how workers rights are protected within the EU, any idea what the french workers think about their rights being protected when they compete with a country without a minimum wage... that being Germany. Anyway, lets just hope that whatever the outcome the Brits accept it get on with it.

Edited by Kernevez Git
basic spelling misatke !

Boy will I be glad when this referendum is over and it no longer has to infiltrate the discussion in this forum. Sadly, however, it's not going to be over. Whichever way it goes tomorrow, it's going to be the wrong result for the country. Reason I say that is because for me which way the outcome falls is less important than the margin. What this country needs above all else now is stability in the knowledge that the issue is settled. But it won't be - it will be by a very narrow margin whichever way, and whichever side is on the losing side of that narrow margin is not going to let the issue drop. We can expect challenges about the validity of the campaigns, the authenticity of the vote, calls for another referendum etc. By either side. The only thing that will settle this is a decisive vote one way or the other, but by all accounts we're not going to get one.

David Cameron has created a right mess by calling this referendum - one that he had no business calling if his claims about the consequences of an out vote are true, and one that he only called for ulterior political motives. Whichever way it goes....the ousting of Cameron and Osborne must now be high priority.

I don't normally join in political debates but I am glad to join the 'glad it's over bar the shouting' brigade I have never seen such a disgracefully run campaign, by both sides, in the 45 years I have been casting my vote. On the up side I am off with the family on Normandie on Saturday night to Normandy for two glorious weeks in France, hopefully we will miss all the 'told you so' summing up and rhetoric that will follow next week by both sides of the argument and it doesn't matter who wins, hopefully remain, and we can see what our friends in France think of the referendum. On a closing note let us all remember how close the polls were before the Scottish independence referendum, where they all said there would be only 1 or 2 points of a difference and the final result was 10 points, hopefully tonight's vote counting will show a clear result and then we can all get on with our lives. Sorry folks rant over back to packing the suitcase and filling the car with our overpriced diesel, sorry that's a different argument, only 450 miles to peace, quiet and la Belle France.

• Like 1

I'm not voting based on costs, I am voting to remain because although I have views both for and against staying in the EU, the behaviour of the Brexit side over recent months has put me off, and I am not sure I would like to fix what in my opinion won't be mended by leaving. What problems thought to be solved by leaving will only present new ones caused by it. Putting up ferry fares is just one thing.

And can you imagine what it would be like if Brexit were in charge!

Let's hope the electorate see sense and vote to stay in!

• Like 2

As I mentioned on another thread, near 50/50 result. A 3rd box "dunno" would have been a good idea to show that people wanted to vote but had not got all the facts. All they got were TV wannabees with big egos repeating the rubbish that helps no one but their own leadership campaigns.

• Like 1

I hope the counters have rubbers if the vote doesn't go the way the government want as we had to fill in the vote box with the provided pencil

You could have used any pen you wished. Every other election it is always pencils as well. I'm led to believe the pencils in question can't be erased, and as such are more reliable than ink that will smudge if got wet for any reason and then count as spoilt

I find it very interesting that most, if not all of the south coast has voted in the majority to leave the EU, even areas in the UK which have transport logistics hubs which serve European cities have done the same.

So then, what the, ermmmm - heck - happens now...😡

That's a question that hasn't been answered by the leave campaign, decade at least of uncertainty is very likely though.

• Like 1