Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Brexit may raise BF fares

So then, what the, ermmmm - heck - happens now...😡

A run on the pound, a stock market fall, and I guess a hung parliament within a year. But you see it was a pretty indvitable result because even many europhiles look askance at what the EU has become. At least we had a vote on this unlike the Lisbon treaty. I voted Remain but you can't really call the EU democratic and its benefits are a tad intangible for many.

Don't know if anybody saw it but Sky News have been broadcasting reaction from onboard Normandie. There was one from Portsmouth yesterday evening, one from Caen this morning and apparently will continue to broadcast today on return back to Portsmouth.

• Like 1

I would hope for a General Election as we will have either Osborne or Boris - neither bears thinking about as PM. A hung parliament with Corbyn - this country will turn into a circus. But although I voted to remain, The fact that Cameron is out on his ear has softened the blow - a lot. Now we face a while of uncertainty!!

I would hope for a General Election as we will have either Osborne or Boris - neither bears thinking about as PM.

I think you can discount Osborne. The choice could well be Boris, the opportunist clown, or May, the control freak. So probably be red noses or ankle tags all round.

• Like 1

Wont be Osborne as he was too far REMAIN and so would not be trusted to put effort in to leave EU. Personally I don't think this is a good mandate for a government to respond to as the younger voters were more for remain and its more of their future than the older generations who were more likely to get of their bums and vote. The 12 million non voters would probably hold more remains than leaves as probably more younger population. I think the "dunno" box would have been useful as it may have shown an almost 33% split over the 3 boxes and show people were guessing. I for one had things I wanted to stay for and things I wanted to leave for so it was as close as the result as to what box was ticked. Referendum was an error as it was never going to be decisive. Worse mandate than Scottish independence which was 55%/45%. Wait for all the knee jerk reactions. Already had it with David Cameron and the 2 labour MOs who want Corbyn out. Who on earth wants another vote at a general election if it all falls apart. No one will know who to vote for. Its a shambles. Second Scottish referendum is almost certainty soon and the result will be different this time. Seems they listened to their Premier, England and wales did not. Its was such a strange map shown with surprise areas who voted the way you would never think. I think according to BBC there was a lot of "I'm alright jack" in areas where lots of EU migrant workers already here and voted. They did not want more coming in to put pressure on jobs by the looks of it. Lincoln I believe was one of these areas according to News.

Edited by adicat
  • Like 1

But can't BF look forward to reintroducing "duty free" at some point in the future? They could also keep fares down by giving more emphasis to their shortest route I.e. Poole-Cherbourg where they can charge their cheapest fares!

But can't BF look forward to reintroducing "duty free" at some point in the future? They could also keep fares down by giving more emphasis to their shortest route I.e. Poole-Cherbourg where they can charge their cheapest fares!

With the general decline in both smoking and drinking duty free would, perhaps, not be the incentive it once was. Add the decline in the value of the £ into the equation and I expect you'd find that todays duty free is probably more expensive that yesterdays French duty paid. Does anyone know why shoes and clothes seem to be so expensive in France? There could be a smuggling opportunity for those of us living on the south coast.

• Like 2

G4rth, this website might interest you: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...country=France

It doesn't explain the reasons why but gives good updated averages. Because there are very tight restrictions on when and how you can discount products in France, most retailers wait until the Janaury and June sales periods but rarely knock off more than 50 percent. There are a number of cheaper options if you are prepared to go out of town: GEMO, LA HALLE, and others sell both clothes and shoes and other shops will do 3 for the price of 2 deals from time to time but it's pure luck if can find them.

As to your smuggling idea, you might want to think about bringing in consumer electronics too. The SACEM tax, designed to keep Johnny Hallyday in cigarettes and allow him to adopt a new Vietnamese baby every time his wife gets bored of the last one, protects recording artists and is applied to every gadget with removable or onboard memory. So MP3-playing equipment can be up to 30% cheaper in the UK and even SLR cameras are 25% cheaper.

Oh, and Pampers nappies and kids food and feeding equipment are much more expensive too as you still pay VAT on them here. I know of someone in Normandy who ships whole van-loads over for the expat community and takes cheese to market the other way (with at least one day parked up, doors open, for the smell to disappear).

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

With the general decline in both smoking and drinking duty free would, perhaps, not be the incentive it once was. Add the decline in the value of the £ into the equation and I expect you'd find that todays duty free is probably more expensive that yesterdays French duty paid. Does anyone know why shoes and clothes seem to be so expensive in France? There could be a smuggling opportunity for those of us living on the south coast.

Decline in drinking? I suspect not judging by the number of references to drinking wine on radio. Smoking is something else again but it's not extinct!

Would have liked to see all EU countries have a vote on In or Out. That would send the message that the set up is a busted flush and needs sorting from its current situation. I would have preferred it to be a vote to let the Government know that people are not happy and to fight for more reform including what most Brexit people seemed to vote for, a limit on migration numbers. Prime Minister resigning was no help to steady the ship. Not what was needed. Pensioners voting out, now seeing their shares and investment pots plummet. Umm!

G4rth, this website might interest you: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...country=France

It doesn't explain the reasons why but gives good updated averages. Because there are very tight restrictions on when and how you can discount products in France, most retailers wait until the Janaury and June sales periods but rarely knock off more than 50 percent. There are a number of cheaper options if you are prepared to go out of town: GEMO, LA HALLE, and others sell both clothes and shoes and other shops will do 3 for the price of 2 deals from time to time but it's pure luck if can find them.

As to your smuggling idea, you might want to think about bringing in consumer electronics too. The SACEM tax, designed to keep Johnny Hallyday in cigarettes and allow him to adopt a new Vietnamese baby every time his wife gets bored of the last one, protects recording artists and is applied to every gadget with removable or onboard memory. So MP3-playing equipment can be up to 30% cheaper in the UK and even SLR cameras are 25% cheaper.

Oh, and Pampers nappies and kids food and feeding equipment are much more expensive too as you still pay VAT on them here. I know of someone in Normandy who ships whole van-loads over for the expat community and takes cheese to market the other way (with at least one day parked up, doors open, for the smell to disappear).

Ed

Thank you for that Cabin-boy, very informative.

Brexit related so may well fit in with this thread. On Facebook feed one story says that with Brexit, us Brits might need visas to travel to the EU, what would that entail, know absolutely nothing about visas. So every time any of us wanted to pop over for a daytrip, we would have to apply for one, apologies, no idea how this would work - if it happens.

It's just more speculative scaremongering at the moment. Of course it COULD happen, but there is no substantive information at the moment to say it will. We didn't need visas to visit the continent prior to 1973 did we? All depends on the negotiations (and I'd be surprised if either side wanted it) so I wouldn't worry about it until/unless it happens.

The Schengen countries are looking at requiring visas for all non Schengen entrants, though this would be a bit like US visas where you pay once for a time limited validity. Security is put forward as the reason, though the knockers suggest it is like traffic cameras ....

It must be a realistic possibility that Schengen might not even still exist by the time our exit from the EU actually happens. Just one or two more major incidents that can be attributed to porous borders could well put the nail in its coffin.

£10 or 14 dollars was the figure I read and you would have to apply 72 hours in advance I can't find the link unfortunately ,it's certainly a realistic possibility.

Just something else that occurred to me to add. This is to do with Schengen. Not the EU. It is nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever. Even if we stayed in the EU, this visa thing would apply to us if it happened because we are not part of the Schengen agreement. Brexit makes no difference to this at all, but of course it makes a good headline to pin it on Brexit.

Just something else that occurred to me to add. This is to do with Schengen. Not the EU. It is nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever. Even if we stayed in the EU, this visa thing would apply to us if it happened because we are not part of the Schengen agreement. Brexit makes no difference to this at all, but of course it makes a good headline to pin it on Brexit.

It is totally to do with Brexit as we are leaving the EU,it was being part of the EU that made travel within the EU easy now that we are not to be part of it the remaining members can impose visas on us to travel to the EU it in reality is nothing to do with the Schengen agreement as the UK was never part of that , they might not impose visa requirements on us of course its entirley up to them.

• Like 1

But that's not what the article says Neil. The article says that the Schengen countries are considering imposing visa requirements on visitors from non-Schengen countries.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...travel-8804514

"The scheme would cover all visitors to the Schengen zone from countries that do not need a visa to enter."

just unfortunate timing then ? That as we vote to leave the EU is imposing restrictions to protect itself .

It wouldn't app!y to members of the single market according to this article so directly affected by Brexit.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/non-eu-citizens-will-pay-to-enter-the-schengen-area-under-future-etias-scheme/

Edited by neilcvx

Well I wouldn't panic just yet. Ireland is not in the zone so will therefore have the same restrictions applied and even Andorra is not included. It will be just one further point to be discussed during the negotiations for Brexit. If they send us down that road then they will have to accept similar restrictions for those travelling to the UK and Ireland. If they spent more time and effort securing their external borders then it would not be an issue. Ed.

Well I wouldn't panic just yet. Ireland is not in the zone so will therefore have the same restrictions applied and even Andorra is not included. It will be just one further point to be discussed during the negotiations for Brexit. If they send us down that road then they will have to accept similar restrictions for those travelling to the UK and Ireland. If they spent more time and effort securing their external borders then it would not be an issue. Ed.

They wouldn't as they are members of the single market.

• Like 1