Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Brexit may raise BF fares

Well I wouldn't panic just yet. Ireland is not in the zone so will therefore have the same restrictions applied and even Andorra is not included. It will be just one further point to be discussed during the negotiations for Brexit. If they send us down that road then they will have to accept similar restrictions for those travelling to the UK and Ireland. If they spent more time and effort securing their external borders then it would not be an issue. Ed.

Well-said Ed.

With the current increase in security and conservative austerity measures I fail to see how any visa system could be managed when UK border force can't even manage to efficiently manage a ferry unloading , if only there was a spare £350 million.

• Like 1

With the current increase in security and conservative austerity measures I fail to see how any visa system could be managed when UK border force can't even manage to efficiently manage a ferry unloading , if only there was a spare £350 million.

Ditto on the continental side. That's why I don't think it will happen - will be completely unmanageable on both sides.

Ditto on the continental side. That's why I don't think it will happen - will be completely unmanageable on both sides.

The Italian navy has 800 maritime patrol vehicles and the U.K. Has 8 , I think that alone tells a story , anyway time will tell.

• Like 1

Do I remember something about visa waivers, so that daytrippers or people only visiting for a couple of days don't have to apply. If it did come down to that, then would the likelihood of us daytrippers of weekenders get away without having to apply?

Do I remember something about visa waivers, so that daytrippers or people only visiting for a couple of days don't have to apply. If it did come down to that, then would the likelihood of us daytrippers of weekenders get away without having to apply?

Would be a lot of ifs,buts and maybes to come yet, you've a couple of years to save up yet even if the worst happens.

Just something else that occurred to me to add. This is to do with Schengen. Not the EU. It is nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever. Even if we stayed in the EU, this visa thing would apply to us if it happened because we are not part of the Schengen agreement. Brexit makes no difference to this at all, but of course it makes a good headline to pin it on Brexit.

Nothing to do with Brexit? Its a direct result of Brexit. Since 1979 the UK has tried, often successfully, to gain advantages over the rest of Europe by getting opt outs from our responsibilities to the EU. Because of our position as the third largest population and a net contributor we have been allowed to flout the rules for years via exemptions. A small minority of other countries have clung to our coattails and obtained exemptions as well. With the Brexit vote all the major European countries have realized that they have allowed a two tier Europe to evolve. With the UK leaving the perfect opportunity exists to redress the problems and press ahead with the European project. At the moment it's make life difficult for the non Schengen countries. When Euro transactions revert to Paris or Frankfurt no doubt things will be made harder for non Euro countries.

Of course we must expect travel difficulties to other EU countries. The problem is not, annoying though it may be, the obstacles travelling to Europe from the UK mainland but the border between Eire, NI and the rest of the UK. That is a much more difficult and potentially dangerous problem for GB.

Edited by G4rth

The discussions about the Schengen visa scheme proposal were already taking place before the vote.

Yes, since 2011. You may choose to believe it has nothing to do with Brexit but you can't urgue the fact that nothing happened for five years. Two months after the Brexit vote ....

• Like 1

How would visa regulations, if any, affect BF - after all their business is transporting people from what will be the EU and a non EU country. Will this have a knock on effect to them?

Yes, since 2011. You may choose to believe it has nothing to do with Brexit but you can't urgue the fact that nothing happened for five years. Two months after the Brexit vote ....

...and still nothing has happened. It is still just a talking point in the same way as it has been for 5 years.

How would visa regulations, if any, affect BF - after all their business is transporting people from what will be the EU and a non EU country. Will this have a knock on effect to them?

Not unless it's overly complicated or overly expensive , shouldn't affect them anymore than say Ryanair.

...and still nothing has happened. It is still just a talking point in the same way as it has been for 5 years.

And that may well be the case. What I don't think anyone can dispute is that Brexit has given Europe an opportunity to re-evaluate it's goals and press on without constantly being dragged backwards.

• Like 1

Not unless it's overly complicated or overly expensive , shouldn't affect them anymore than say Ryanair.

I doubt it would effect most passengers, an additional £10-15 per passenger is not a lot compared to the price of the ferry ticket. It could effect the crew costs though if BF had to pay for every crew member who came inside the 12 mile limit. One would hope there would be an exemption but in the present UK "cut of your nose to spite your face" attitude that might not happen.

Edited by G4rth
  • Like 1

Cutting off your nose to spite your face sums up Brexit perfectly. I think the amount of lives it is going to affect just because of the referendum result.

• Like 3

Brexit is all about the right wing deregulators in UK who want freedom to get rich at everyone else's expense. Wake up Britain or the health service will be gone, along with the minimum wage, unemployment support, state pensions ....

• Like 3

Guest Guest

Yes, Colin. These threats have been put to the Quitlings many times, but they just don't want to listen. They just want to "take back" their country, crow about regained sovereignty, and repeat ad nauseam, "You lost. You're a bunch of remoaners. Suck on it."

There are huge shocks to come to the British public, I'm sure.

Quite how any government is going to reunite a sharply divided country when the two sides are largely irreconcilable, I just don't know.

The minute Mrs May triggers Article 50 - will be her undoing and her legacy, like Cameron, who thought he knew better when he offered the referendum in the first place. Out on his ear, but in his case more to the fact he didn't get his own way so he spat his dummy. Heard on the news Owen Smith said he'd reverse Brexit - that is if he is Labour leader and ousts Corbyn. What are Corbyn's views, has he said he would do it too. I believe there isn't as yet a process to reverse Article 50, but there should be. If this Government want to trash this country by listening to Brexiters and saying the country voted to leave when only just over half did, then there should be a way of putting the brakes on.

• Like 2

Brexit is all about the right wing deregulators in UK who want freedom to get rich at everyone else's expense. Wake up Britain or the health service will be gone, along with the minimum wage, unemployment support, state pensions ....

My thoughts and fears expressed perfectly.

• Like 2

The minute Mrs May triggers Article 50 - will be her undoing and her legacy, like Cameron, who thought he knew better when he offered the referendum in the first place. Out on his ear, but in his case more to the fact he didn't get his own way so he spat his dummy. Heard on the news Owen Smith said he'd reverse Brexit - that is if he is Labour leader and ousts Corbyn. What are Corbyn's views, has he said he would do it too. I believe there isn't as yet a process to reverse Article 50, but there should be. If this Government want to trash this country by listening to Brexiters and saying the country voted to leave when only just over half did, then there should be a way of putting the brakes on.

I think you’re being a little unfair to Brexiteers. They say there will be more money for health and in a way they are right. The Brexiteers are honourable people who I am sure will stand by their convictions. They don’t like or believe experts and they say there is money to be saved and they are right. If you or I went to hospital we would probably like to see a consultant or a senior doctor, in other words, an expert. Not so the Brexiteer. I’m sure those honourable people who don’t believe in experts would be more than happy with any job seeker on the minimum wage. At a stroke you could remove just over 37% of all experts in all walks of life as Brexiteers don’t need them.

• Like 2

Yes, Colin. These threats have been put to the Quitlings many times, but they just don't want to listen. They just want to "take back" their country, crow about regained sovereignty, and repeat ad nauseam, "You lost. You're a bunch of remoaners. Suck on it."

There are huge shocks to come to the British public, I'm sure.

Quite how any government is going to reunite a sharply divided country when the two sides are largely irreconcilable, I just don't know.

What does Brexit represent?

A wide spectrum between nationalism,racism,patriotism and other extreme right wing groups who all voted the same.That is for Britain to leave Europe whatever the cost to the country!

• Like 1

As this thread (as all threads seem to when they get onto the subject of Brexit) has descended into ignorant and inaccurate caricaturing of the motives and characters of the more than half the country that voted for it, I intend to withdraw from the discussion for the time being. I understand that those disappointed with the outcome of the referendum need a platform for expressing their frustration and joining together to help to console each other with their tales of woe about how the country got it wrong. I understand that there are some who have found this a very hard outcome to come to terms with. But within this forum, where there are intelligent and honourable representative members on both sides of the argument, there is no need to insult the integrity of those members on the opposite side of the opinion fence to one's own. Brexit is a very important subject and I am more than happy to discuss it rationally with all those who want to have a mutually respectful dialogue about the actual issues when they are ready.

As this thread (as all threads seem to when they get onto the subject of Brexit) has descended into ignorant and inaccurate caricaturing of the motives and characters of the more than half the country that voted for it.

Unfortunately, and I'm sure unintentionally, you have just done what was so prevalent in the campaigns of both sides, supplied false information. "More than half the country that voted for it"? The 17.4M brexit voters were not in any way over half of the approximately 65M UK population, that would be 32.5M. They were not even half of the 46.5M registered voters, that would be 23.25M. They were however slightly over half of those 33.5M who did vote. One could argue all day about the result but if information given is, from whatever source, blatantly incorrect it is little wonder that feelings run high.

• Like 1

Both sides gave no evidence to support their claims and pledges. The leave campaign had no mandate holder to action their proposals. Nobody actually knows what will happen, it's too much uncertainty being made worse by dragging it out.

Now I voted remain based on lack of fact of what will actually happen. So continue as we were. However now the people have voted out we need to get on with it to stabilise the country. The longer we drag it out the longer things will be unstable.

Once we are out things for the economy could be 100 times better, could be 100 times worse. It was a gamble in all shape and form. Some of the non Eu countries do sound positive about agreeing things with us independently though, just look how vocal Australia is about doing a deal with the U.K.

Let's wait and see what happens.