Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Brexit may raise BF fares

I sense that the terrible three, Johnson, Fox and Davis may be struggling a little with putting into practice what they have been preaching. The devil is always in the detail and most politicians have only a nebulous grasp of that!

So even if the opportunities are there, will they have the competence to grasp and exploit them? I'm a bit doubtful about that.

• Like 1

I doubt it would effect most passengers, an additional £10-15 per passenger is not a lot compared to the price of the ferry ticket.

It is when you commute between France and the UK every week...

• Like 1

I think it's a one-off payment isn't it? There wouldn't be a need for a new visa every time you travel.

. However now the people have voted out we need to get on with it to stabilise the country. .
"The people" didnt vote out just 17 million of them did, a number of whom fooled by the £360 Million for the NHS lie. I wasn't even allowed a vote having not resided in the UK for 15 years, despite still paying tax there. I certainly have no intention of getting on with it.
  • Like 2

I think it's a one-off payment isn't it? There wouldn't be a need for a new visa every time you travel.

US ones last for 2 years , just as an example no word of how long an EU one would last.

A weekend away for a family of 5 , £75 ! You could get the tunnel for less.

I think you would still need a visa if you were to go through the tunnel so the surcharge would apply to any form of transport taken across the channel. Unless you are planning to dig your own! I can rent you a couple of square meters in my garden if you want to come up there - in fact the moles have already done some of the work for you. Ed.

Edited by Cabin-boy

"The people" didnt vote out just 17 million of them did, a number of whom fooled by the £360 Million for the NHS lie. I wasn't even allowed a vote having not resided in the UK for 15 years, despite still paying tax there. I certainly have no intention of getting on with it.
Exactly - 17 million people. Every time I hear the eords that the UK has voted to leave, I find myself uttering " no we (insert expletive) well did not, only a small number did, the rest either abstained or voted to remain" And that, in my opinion, is NOT the UK voting to leave. It was an advisory referendum and non binding, just that Cameron decided to accept the will of that minority, quit as PM, and now May is following in his footsteps. Now he has quit as an MP, the gutless chicken - he offered the vote, now he should stay and put up with the monster he created!! He can't though, can he, flippin chook.
  • Like 2

Exactly - 17 million people. Every time I hear the eords that the UK has voted to leave, I find myself uttering " no we (insert expletive) well did not, only a small number did, the rest either abstained or voted to remain" And that, in my opinion, is NOT the UK voting to leave. It was an advisory referendum and non binding, just that Cameron decided to accept the will of that minority, quit as PM, and now May is following in his footsteps. Now he has quit as an MP, the gutless chicken - he offered the vote, now he should stay and put up with the monster he created!! He can't though, can he, flippin chook.

Not to mention the fact any promises that leave did make have since been abandoned by various different brexiters. £350 million extra for the NHS could be achived in the autum statement with a bit of jiggling around if there was any serious will to do it.

There is still no plan and no common vision between any of the Brexiters. It feels like they want a hard brexit to save themselves the task of negotiating single market membership.

• Like 2

Guest Guest

Both Australia and the USA have said that trade agreements with a non-EU UK would have to wait for deals with the EU to be done first.

Japan last week issued a no-nonsense warning that its firms are likely to relocate if access to the single market for those firms is lost.

The EU Parliament has appointed Guy Verhofstadt, a committed federalist and widely described as Farage's "nemesis" as its chief negotiator. That signals a very tough stance. Why should the EU offer the UK any favourable terms? They just had the UK spit in their eye, after all.

Promises of money to the NHS, of an end to free movement, of easy membership of the single market, have all died a death. Johnson, Fox and Davis are saying different things, speaking without approval from on high, and Mrs May is having to slap them down. It's just chaotic. Three months almost since the referendum and we the public can see little progress.

Mrs May is now saying that parliament will not be informed of the details of negotiations, and she has said that it is "unpatriotic" to ask too many questions. She is saying that she can trigger Article 50 without a parliamentary debate (though there is a high-profile court case coming up about this). Signs of a totalitarian state, no?

So too right the Remain side is angry. Add to that the abuse poured upon Remainers by (I hope) a small section of Leavers, of which the following is a small example:

"Those 350,000 thousand geriatric traitors (expats) that have retired in Spain want to come back to the UK to scrounge off our housing (as their Spanish shacks are worthless) and our NHS (as the Spanish will stop giving them health care for free). I didn't vote to get rid of 350,000 Poles to have them replaced with deserters with alzheimer's."

Nice!

It's not just the lunatic fringe who churn out such abuse. Or if it is, the fringe extends a long way. Read the comment sections of Daily Express articles if you want to see just how vile people can be. Or comments on the numerous pro-Leave FB groups. These people may be a minority, but their poison is dangerous, as we see from the huge increase in hate attacks.

Yes, I hadn't really thought of that. It must be all the more galling for you as you were denied a vote as well.

Not to mention the fact any promises that leave did make have since been abandoned by various different brexiters. £350 million extra for the NHS could be achived in the autum statement with a bit of jiggling around if there was any serious will to do it.

There is still no plan and no common vision between any of the Brexiters. It feels like they want a hard brexit to save themselves the task of negotiating single market membership.

They just want that leap into the dark. They want to "take back our country" and that is that. I won't let it drop either, at the moment they are all crowing, but sooner or later it will dawn on them and they will wake up to a UK they did not expect. Then they will kick off. I have lost respect for Teresa May, she was a Remainer - she's a Judas.
  • Like 1

I think you would still need a visa if you were to go through the tunnel so the surcharge would apply to any form of transport taken across the channel. Unless you are planning to dig your own! I can rent you a couple of square meters in my garden if you want to come up there - in fact the moles have already done some of the work for you. Ed.

I was pointing out it was expensive compared to the cost of crossing itself .

I was pointing out it was expensive compared to the cost of crossing itself .

I see that now. Sorry! Perhaps they will simply add the cost to the standard fee for a 10-year passport instead. They could offer passports both with and without for those who know they will be going to Europe or those who have no intention of doing so. Spread the cost over a longer period and very few people will notice the difference. And you could remove the need for further security checks on the visas themselves if they were built-in.

Ed

Just been listening to the news today. Apparently DC, who was kind enough to give Gideon and IDS to the country, was really a benevolent benefactor of the poor. I hadn't realized that.

Edited by G4rth
  • Like 1