Sign in to follow this  
wortley

The new world

and if the result had been the other way?

Were not talking about whether to buy a packet of packet of plain crisps or a packet of cheese and onion. It's an irreversable decision that will effect peoples lives for generations to come. In those circumstances some sort of hurdle for a vote to change does not seem unreasonable.

• Like 2

and if the result had been the other way?

Were not talking about whether to buy a packet of packet of plain crisps or a packet of cheese and onion. It's an irreversable decision that will effect peoples lives for generations to come. In those circumstances some sort of hurdle for a vote to change does not seem unreasonable.

• Like 2

You can't really fix a threshold after which the decision is valid for the simple reason that the prime minister who called the referendum and wanted to keep the status quo would place the bar to high. A 45/55 minimum split might be workable as that 10% would repent at least 3 million electors but people would still complain it was too marginal for such an important decision. A far better option would be to combine it with an obligation for a 75% minimum turnout of voters to make people realise the importance of their vote. There are so many ways to cast your vote today that nobody can say they were unable to do so. Ed.

• Like 1

You can't really fix a threshold after which the decision is valid for the simple reason that the prime minister who called the referendum and wanted to keep the status quo would place the bar to high. A 45/55 minimum split might be workable as that 10% would repent at least 3 million electors but people would still complain it was too marginal for such an important decision. A far better option would be to combine it with an obligation for a 75% minimum turnout of voters to make people realise the importance of their vote. There are so many ways to cast your vote today that nobody can say they were unable to do so. Ed.

• Like 1

Says everything, and is why I am not convinced the UK will BREXIT.

Thanks for that Skipcool.

It explains everything that I thought about the Brexit campaign.

He basically says that their whole campaign was based on exageration and lies.

Is this going to be the basis of the country's future?

It's going to take someone very good to sort this one out!

Edited by imprimerie
  • Like 3

Says everything, and is why I am not convinced the UK will BREXIT.

Thanks for that Skipcool.

It explains everything that I thought about the Brexit campaign.

He basically says that their whole campaign was based on exageration and lies.

Is this going to be the basis of the country's future?

It's going to take someone very good to sort this one out!

Edited by imprimerie
  • Like 3

Hollande says Brexit cannot be cancelled - yes it can, it is not binding. At present everybody is spitting dummies left right and centre, everyone needs to sort this mess out calmly and properly. I do think it should be cancelled because I feel the reasons why people wanted to leave won't be much different.

• Like 1

Hollande says Brexit cannot be cancelled - yes it can, it is not binding. At present everybody is spitting dummies left right and centre, everyone needs to sort this mess out calmly and properly. I do think it should be cancelled because I feel the reasons why people wanted to leave won't be much different.

• Like 1

I have to say that the way that some dismiss the votes of 17410742 so easily is an affront to democracy.

Is the EU so precious that democracy can be so easily sidelined. Is democracy only important if the result agrees with your worldview.

I fully accept an argument, as Imprimerie has advocated, that the referendum result should have been weighted for the result to stand. I don't agree with it but I can see the point of view. But this view should have been aired before the terms of the referendum were finalised.

Those that voted to leave feel they have legitimate reasons for doing so, and those that don't agree with them should examine why they voted the way they did. And if the only conclusion they can come too is that lies were told during the campaign or that they are too stupid to understand the issue then you are being grossly unfair to millions of British citizens.

Regards

Nick.

I have to say that the way that some dismiss the votes of 17410742 so easily is an affront to democracy.

Is the EU so precious that democracy can be so easily sidelined. Is democracy only important if the result agrees with your worldview.

I fully accept an argument, as Imprimerie has advocated, that the referendum result should have been weighted for the result to stand. I don't agree with it but I can see the point of view. But this view should have been aired before the terms of the referendum were finalised.

Those that voted to leave feel they have legitimate reasons for doing so, and those that don't agree with them should examine why they voted the way they did. And if the only conclusion they can come too is that lies were told during the campaign or that they are too stupid to understand the issue then you are being grossly unfair to millions of British citizens.

Regards

Nick.

I wonder if BREXIT votes had spent 20mins of time listening to the rational points raised by the Liverpool professor if they would have still voted for it?

We live in a country where three out of four did not vote for the Conservative party and only 17 million registered voters from a population of around 68 million voted BREXIT. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I wonder if BREXIT votes had spent 20mins of time listening to the rational points raised by the Liverpool professor if they would have still voted for it?

We live in a country where three out of four did not vote for the Conservative party and only 17 million registered voters from a population of around 68 million voted BREXIT. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Regards

Nick.

I voted to remain because I have spent a long time thinking about it - there has been plenty of time to do so, and my readons to remain were that although I have strong views on immigration and the EU telling us what to do in our own country, I feel the benefits of staying outweigh the benefits of leaving. If I voted to leave it would have been because of a few petty rules and immigration. I have far more pressjg concerns in my life and do not want to go backwards. Which is what Brexit will do.
  • Like 1

Regards

Nick.

I voted to remain because I have spent a long time thinking about it - there has been plenty of time to do so, and my readons to remain were that although I have strong views on immigration and the EU telling us what to do in our own country, I feel the benefits of staying outweigh the benefits of leaving. If I voted to leave it would have been because of a few petty rules and immigration. I have far more pressjg concerns in my life and do not want to go backwards. Which is what Brexit will do.
  • Like 1

Sorry Nick, regarding the referendum, democracy was last week. You're not addressing this week’s problem, how can the country possibly progress.

Ask your self how you would feel if you were standing on a cliff with a hundred other people. Suddenly 52 of them say let's all jump off the cliff, that chap on the zip wire and his friend the journalist say's it will be ok. Imagine you are one of the 48 surrounded by doctors saying if you jump, you're going to kill yourself. To me, that's not much of a dilemma, I don't jump and I try to stop you jumping too it's nothing about democracy, it's about self preservation for the country. We are now all standing on that cliff, the coach driver that got us there is about to run off and the man on the zip wire has disappeared over the hill. Your problem is how do you persuade the 48 to jump with you? You’re asking the impossible.

• Like 1

Sorry Nick, regarding the referendum, democracy was last week. You're not addressing this week’s problem, how can the country possibly progress.

Ask your self how you would feel if you were standing on a cliff with a hundred other people. Suddenly 52 of them say let's all jump off the cliff, that chap on the zip wire and his friend the journalist say's it will be ok. Imagine you are one of the 48 surrounded by doctors saying if you jump, you're going to kill yourself. To me, that's not much of a dilemma, I don't jump and I try to stop you jumping too it's nothing about democracy, it's about self preservation for the country. We are now all standing on that cliff, the coach driver that got us there is about to run off and the man on the zip wire has disappeared over the hill. Your problem is how do you persuade the 48 to jump with you? You’re asking the impossible.

• Like 1

Sorry Nick, regarding the referendum, democracy was last week. You're not addressing this weeks problem, how can the country possibly progress.

Ask your self how you would feel if you were standing on a cliff with a hundred other people. Suddenly 52 of them say let's all jump off the cliff, that chap on the zip wire and his friend the journalist say's it will be ok. Imagine you are one of the 48 surrounded by doctors saying if you jump, you're going to kill yourself. To me, that's not much of a dilemma, I don't jump and I try to stop you jumping too it's nothing about democracy, it's about self preservation for the country. We are now all standing on that cliff, the coach driver that got us there is about to run off and the man on the zip wire has disappeared over the hill. Your problem is how do you persuade the 48 to jump with you? Youre asking the impossible.

If the vote to leave has such dire consequences for the UK why did the Remain campaign not get that message across?

The PM, all the major parties, the civil service, the Bank of England, the CBI, over half of the media, charities, unions, academia & Eddie Izard were all on the edge off that cliff saying don't jump.

Could it be that if you turned round the country you could see was being crushed by a greater evil than jumping off that cliff?

Why did so many jump? What were the causes?

Sorry Nick, regarding the referendum, democracy was last week. You're not addressing this weeks problem, how can the country possibly progress.

Ask your self how you would feel if you were standing on a cliff with a hundred other people. Suddenly 52 of them say let's all jump off the cliff, that chap on the zip wire and his friend the journalist say's it will be ok. Imagine you are one of the 48 surrounded by doctors saying if you jump, you're going to kill yourself. To me, that's not much of a dilemma, I don't jump and I try to stop you jumping too it's nothing about democracy, it's about self preservation for the country. We are now all standing on that cliff, the coach driver that got us there is about to run off and the man on the zip wire has disappeared over the hill. Your problem is how do you persuade the 48 to jump with you? Youre asking the impossible.

If the vote to leave has such dire consequences for the UK why did the Remain campaign not get that message across?

The PM, all the major parties, the civil service, the Bank of England, the CBI, over half of the media, charities, unions, academia & Eddie Izard were all on the edge off that cliff saying don't jump.

Could it be that if you turned round the country you could see was being crushed by a greater evil than jumping off that cliff?

Why did so many jump? What were the causes?

How do dictators come to power?

They dupe the public and find a scapegoat for their so called problems.

In this case the scapegoat was immigration.How many voted to leave the EU because they thought that immigration would be stopped?

The race card is the easiest way to win an election.Without a doubt it was used in the EU referendum.

What a catastrophy!

• Like 3

How do dictators come to power?

They dupe the public and find a scapegoat for their so called problems.

In this case the scapegoat was immigration.How many voted to leave the EU because they thought that immigration would be stopped?

The race card is the easiest way to win an election.Without a doubt it was used in the EU referendum.

What a catastrophy!

• Like 3

Only 42 million were entitled to vote and of that number only 73% (approx) did vote